Biking in Mahahual (and renting bikes)

adverb

Hello! I saw that several places in Mahahual offer bike rentals, so I was thinking of taking a taxi there (maybe to Blue Kay) and renting a bike for a couple hours and riding around the island. First, outside of the cost of the bike, will I have to pay anything to get in? Or will I just be required to buy food? I was confused on if a day pass is required.

Thanks!

I can't answer the questions on Blue Kay, but there's a couple of very good threads on this board that can.

However, Costa Maya/Mahahual is NOT an island. Your biking will be limited to primarily the malecon which does extend further south than the most populated beach stops. You can bike down past Almaplena. But when you gets to the coast road, around Maya Chan, you may have traffic and little or no shoulder. I believe you can rent bikes at the cruise port too, but they may be for ship excursions use.

• 2 weeks later...

If you go to Blue Kay, the $20 rental they have is for the bikes, snorkeling equipment and kayak rental. It's yours to use all day. The actual facilities and beach are free and no need for a reservation. They also have lockers there that you can put your things in while biking. Since they are located at the very beginning of the Malecon, you can start there and bike all the way down the Malecon and see everything and return back, not missing anything. :D

• 3 years later...