Suite Class Restaurant - Luminae

InTheWASide

Not sure if you are referring to my post, but for me it is not a matter of food taste. It is a matter of not being sick ... Notably, the Celebrity literature indicates that MDR may not be an option for suites. We are expected to dine in the new restaurant or pay for a specialty restaurant. So, I was just commenting that if this there are 4 appetizer options, and 4 entrees, and all have cream, milk or cheese (as many "fancy" dishes do) I am not able to eat. And I am confident I am not alone, with many people being allergic to wheat, dairy, etc.

Believe me, it is no fun being unable to eat a lot of the food on menus! Dining out can be a challenge and if the menu is limited or French inspired, it is no fun at all! If I could change my allergy, I assure you I would. If I special order, the whole table waits or I never know for sure there is no dairy. So, on cruises in the MDR I often have to order off the "offered everyday" side of the menu with a salad, plain steak or pasta and red sauce.

I was merely suggesting that when considering the menu, Celebrity consider offering alternatives for those with allergies. Or offer someone like me the option to order from the MDR menu. To say this is whining seems a bit unfair.

Not at all. Perhaps "worried" would have been a better choice than "whine". I'm excited about the new restaurant and will stop by and check out the menu and decor. Based on that I will decide whether it justifies paying more for a suite than staying in AQ and dining in Blu. In the meantime I'll spend my time worrying about lounge-chair hogs and empty ice buckets.

:)

We hope the dining experience in the new restaurant exceeds in every way the expectations of all concerned. It is much, much better to push higher than high as opposed to degrading the dining experience presently available on board the ships.

Well said!!!

Not sure if you are referring to my post, but for me it is not a matter of food taste. It is a matter of not being sick ... Notably, the Celebrity literature indicates that MDR may not be an option for suites. We are expected to dine in the new restaurant or pay for a specialty restaurant. So, I was just commenting that if this there are 4 appetizer options, and 4 entrees, and all have cream, milk or cheese (as many "fancy" dishes do) I am not able to eat. And I am confident I am not alone, with many people being allergic to wheat, dairy, etc.

Believe me, it is no fun being unable to eat a lot of the food on menus! Dining out can be a challenge and if the menu is limited or French inspired, it is no fun at all! If I could change my allergy, I assure you I would. If I special order, the whole table waits or I never know for sure there is no dairy. So, on cruises in the MDR I often have to order off the "offered everyday" side of the menu with a salad, plain steak or pasta and red sauce.

I was merely suggesting that when considering the menu, Celebrity consider offering alternatives for those with allergies. Or offer someone like me the option to order from the MDR menu. To say this is whining seems a bit unfair.

I am not sure where based on the literature you think you can't dine in the MDR but based on what I read, you can just see the matre d and it would happen.

Also based in a good deal of experience, if you ask the Michael's Club concierge (since you've chosen a CS) you will have no problem at all getting a request to eat in any restaurant from the MDR, Blu or the Suite dining room.

Additionally, I'd say based on the literature I've read, these were example menus, and due to the size an "level" of restaurant (expectation) they should be able to custom prepare dishes as opposed to the more food factory / banquet style meal preparation of the MDR for hundreds. If Celebrity can't do this for a restaurant for less than a couple hundred tops over a given night, I would call the entire endeavor a failure.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

I am not sure where based on the literature you think you can't dine in the MDR but based on what I read, you can just see the matre d and it would happen.

Also based in a good deal of experience, if you ask the Michael's Club concierge (since you've chosen a CS) you will have no problem at all getting a request to eat in any restaurant from the MDR, Blu or the Suite dining room.

Additionally, I'd say based on the literature I've read, these were example menus, and due to the size an "level" of restaurant (expectation) they should be able to custom prepare dishes as opposed to the more food factory / banquet style meal preparation of the MDR for hundreds. If Celebrity can't do this for a restaurant for less than a couple hundred tops over a given night, I would call the entire endeavor a failure.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. I guess I thought maybe space wise they would not have room for MDR... Because they said they would seat you depending on availability. That and we wouldn't have an assigned table, so I guess I thought it may be hard to get a seat. That said, looking forward to trying all the new perks, including the new restaurant. And I am sure they will be accommodating!

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts. I guess I thought maybe space wise they would not have room for MDR... Because they said they would seat you depending on availability. That and we wouldn't have an assigned table, so I guess I thought it may be hard to get a seat. That said, looking forward to trying all the new perks, including the new restaurant. And I am sure they will be accommodating!

Also as has been mentioned on this thread they will more than likely have 3 or 4 "daily standards", NY Strip with potatoes etc, like they do in Blu one of which will fit your tastes. I am not a big fan of that so called fancy food either, not that I am allergic to it, I am more steak/ potatoes or anything with bacon :)

Looking forward to trying this in August when we cruise the British Isles. The only issue we have is that my husband and I and my mom are traveling in a suite and my boys (twins 18 and oldest 22) are in a Veranda and they cannot eat with us in the suite area unless we pay $50/person. Now granted they most likely would not eat the food.

Luckily we do like to get dressed for formal night so we will arrange to eat in the MDR those nights and we will take the boys to the Lawn Grill one night. Most other nights my guess is the boys will be hanging with friends and eat in the buffet or Bistro on 5 and us in the suite restaurant.

Looking forward to it

Sharon

Looking forward to trying this in August when we cruise the British Isles. The only issue we have is that my husband and I and my mom are traveling in a suite and my boys (twins 18 and oldest 22) are in a Veranda and they cannot eat with us in the suite area unless we pay $50/person. Now granted they most likely would not eat the food.

Luckily we do like to get dressed for formal night so we will arrange to eat in the MDR those nights and we will take the boys to the Lawn Grill one night. Most other nights my guess is the boys will be hanging with friends and eat in the buffet or Bistro on 5 and us in the suite restaurant.

Looking forward to it

Sharon

Is Silhouette or Reflection sailing British Isles? That would be fun!

Happy sailing,

Jenna

We'll be on Reflection, April 11th for the TA.

Karyn,

(OT) We will be on Reflection approximately a month before you, March 7th. :)

Edited by Texed

I am sure that Luminae will have glutton free and vegetarian options, as well as plain grilled fish, chicken or steak available as an everyday option.

We are looking forward to trying the new restaurant in June so that we can decide whether or not to keep our 2016 and 2017 cruises on Celebrity.

Given the current Celebrity suite pricing, Lumanae would have to be really good to keep us from switching to Seabourn or Oceania.

We booked a 7 day Alaskan cruise in June on the Solstice partially to try out the new restaurant.

Hoping it's a game changer for Celebrity, and not Blu2

I am sure that Luminae will have glutton free and vegetarian options, as well as plain grilled fish, chicken or steak available as an everyday option.

We are looking forward to trying the new restaurant in June so that we can decide whether or not to keep our 2016 and 2017 cruises on Celebrity.

Given the current Celebrity suite pricing, Lumanae would have to be really good to keep us from switching to Seabourn or Oceania.

We booked a 7 day Alaskan cruise in June on the Solstice partially to try out the new restaurant.

Hoping it's a game changer for Celebrity, and not Blu2

"glutton free"? LOL...Your typo really made me giggle.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Does anybody know for sure if wine is complimentary while dining at Luminae, or would you have to pay if you do not have a drink package?

Thanks

I've not read anything that stated wine would be complimentary.....would love it to be so but don't think it is.....

Also as has been mentioned on this thread they will more than likely have 3 or 4 "daily standards", NY Strip with potatoes etc, like they do in Blu one of which will fit your tastes. I am not a big fan of that so called fancy food either, not that I am allergic to it, I am more steak/ potatoes or anything with bacon :)

I spoke to the person who is head of the implementation team. Told me that there will not be a left side everyday menu. There will be 14 daily menus with different choices each day. Also told me that there is a real possibility that the restaurant will open before the menu is completely ready to be served and that the regular MDR menu might be used for a couple of weeks. This information was confirmed by others. All seem impressed with the menu.A number have sampled the menu and have said that it surpasses Murano. The charge for dinner isn't set in stone, but it appears to be $50 without discounts. The fee must be charged to the Suite passenger who must invite the guest.

Wait until passengers (and their children) request an "everyday" type menu with simpler dishes. It will appear. There is no way that a program built on flexibility (upper tier suites - eat in the restaurant you want, drink what you want, where you want, etc) won't cater to simpler palates. Crystal, Regent, and Seabourn have all figured out that people want to eat what they want to eat, and not always what the chef is preparing that night. I will be testing this on the first Reflection cruise, April 4.

Also told me that there is a real possibility that the restaurant will open before the menu is completely ready to be served and that the regular MDR menu might be used for a couple of weeks. This information was confirmed by others.

I won't be very happy if this happens :( We just upgraded to a sky suite yesterday for our April 20 Solstice cruise mainly because I was excited to try this new restaurant. Nothing against the MDR menu but that's not what we're paying extra for.

Unless I'm misunderstanding and it means the restaurant itself will be ready before the beginning of April.

Why won't this rumor die. :confused: :confused: You've been on this forum enough to know it's been discussed ad-nauseum over months, it's been specifically disclaimed by the Celebrity rep, and even the suite perks FAQ specifically states it's not the case.

Your issue with MDR being empty, is moot, in that the Celebrity reps have posted in various places, it is taking a space on the upper deck of MDR on port side.

My concern was actually the opposite. By taking additional space from the MDR, will the main dining room become a much tighter fit? We are sailing aboard "Connie" in April and look forward to trying the restaurant.

If the implementation is on board now and construction will begin shortly I see the restaurant opening earlier than announced because Celebrity will need the dining space created by the suites restaurant once the MDR is made smaller.

If the menu's are not ready and the staff is not trained in the dishes they could use the MDR, or even Blu's menu until full implementation across the fleet. Could also add in a nightly special from one of the specialty restaurants.

Mary Lou

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

My concern was actually the opposite. By taking additional space from the MDR, will the main dining room become a much tighter fit? We are sailing aboard "Connie" in April and look forward to trying the restaurant.

While nobody knows exact square footage or exact placement of the restaurant, worrying about a "tight" fit doesn't make much sense.

Think of it more along the analogy of re-arranging deck chairs, but now there is a partition between two groups of dining spaces. ;)

The same people who did such a fantastic job of building Blu restaurants on the M-class will be renovating the dining rooms.

The change will begin on Reflection February 7th sailing and the dining area will be completed by the end of Febrauary. The new kitchen will be added later but the Luminae will be available to suite guests using the Opus menu until the project is complete.

On M-class ships the port side MDR beneath Blu will be the new home for Luminae.

The picture of the Luminae proposed dining room is on an M-class ship as indicated by round windows.

The present chairs in the Opus dining room will be the ones used by Luminae initially.

The same people who did such a fantastic job of building Blu restaurants on the M-class will be renovating the dining rooms.

The change will begin on Reflection February 7th sailing and the dining area will be completed by the end of Febrauary. The new kitchen will be added later but the Luminae will be available to suite guests using the Opus menu until the project is complete.

On M-class ships the port side MDR beneath Blu will be the new home for Luminae.

The picture of the Luminae proposed dining room is on an M-class ship as indicated by round windows.

The present chairs in the Opus dining room will be the ones used by Luminae initially.

Hi Arno:

Heard the same. The MDR menu might be used until the new Galley is complete. Restarurant work will begin on Silhouette in March. Galley planned to be in operation about two weeks later. We'll see how it goes.