[Gem] So how's the deck chair situation these days?

Jezo

There should be a weight sensitive timer on the chairs - if there isn't a butt in that chair for a set amount of time, all foreign objects gets ejected off the chair.

I'm sure that won't cause any problems lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Fitmomd

That picture with the crowns is hi-larious!!!

I am definitely worried about the chair situation during my March sailing with my parents and husband. We made do last January, but now there's 4 of us! I really wish Norwegian would do more to enforce the rules a la Carnival. The last thing I want is to get into a fight with a person and ruin my cruise day...or hour.

Well, I do believe the poster is actually from Staten Island...

Sorry for my delayed response, yes I'm from Staten Island, yes I tossed the lady's crap in the corner. If you leave the area, your chair is mine. Unless it's a wheel chair, in which case I of course defer. The weather was beautiful again today by the way. Spent the morning in the Grand Caymans, had lunch at Margaritaville, then back to Posh. Happy to report no chair hogs today...

,:rolleyes:

Edited by bobg529

Is there actually a rule (anything in writing) from Norwegian that says after 1 hour the belongings can be removed and someone else can use the bed?:eek::eek::

Not that I am aware of....I've even asked the poolside staff. Lol. I typically sit back and stare at all the "taken" chairs. And if someone doesn't come back to it within about a half hour, it is mine. Maybe someday I will even step up to actually reading the persons book. haha

Not that I am aware of....I've even asked the poolside staff. Lol. I typically sit back and stare at all the "taken" chairs. And if someone doesn't come back to it within about a half hour, it is mine. Maybe someday I will even step up to actually reading the persons book. haha

That's what we do too, I dont just stomp on in and throw people's stuff down because there is a chance they actually did go to the restroom or pop out for a plate of fries to bring back. We hover for a while, then start using the seat, and if they don't come back in a reasonable amount of time their stuff gets put on the ground and the chair gets taken away.

Is there actually a rule (anything in writing) from Norwegian that says after 1 hour the belongings can be removed and someone else can use the bed?:eek::eek::

Last time or two they put a message on page 1 of the Daily - usually lower right corner - to this effect each day for what that is worth.

I'm pretty sure last week on the Epic, there was a sign (small, and "out of the way") near the towel exchange huts that stated unattended chairs would be cleared by staff and you could pick up your belongings at the towel exchange locations... I almost took a picture of the sign b/c I see so many of these threads, but of course at the time I didn't have my camera handy... It was nearly impossible to find a chair (lounge or other kind) at any point on any deck on sea days. I admit I didn't go up super early to try and grab a chair, but I did go up several times throughout each day and did a quick walk through, and nothing was empty... it wasn't a huge issue for me, as I found other things to keep me occupied, and a quiet place to read inside. I also got plenty of sun on my excursions, so I wasn't missing out there either.

I'm sure if you REALLY wanted a chair, and gave the "owner" 30 min to return and they don't, you can go up to any of the staff near the pool and ask them to remove the belongings...

I was on the Epic jan 4th and I didn't see a sign. And every chair was saved. The only day we got a chase at the main pool is when our excursion was cancelled and we stayed on board. Now I wasn't looking for a sign either there might be one. I know one thing we're getting ready to go on the Breeze February 28th and I'm not from Staten Island just a pilot farm boy from Ohio but I'm going to politely remove towels until someone says something. If they want to toss my 6'5" 265lb butt over board that's fine. I would like a chair. Happy sailing !

Sent from my iPad using Forums

So, actually you would be within the rules if you took the 'chaired' items to the towel exchange area and deposited them. Just have DH stake out the chairs until you returned.

We usually take turns going to the 'loo' or to get something to eat, or go on the slides. That way at least one of us it there to say "my wife/husband will return in two minutes".

Simple solution would be to add numbers to chairs, and require people to reserve chairs with their room key. Reservation time would be limited to 2hrs or similar. If demand is low, and not one is on the wait list, you could extend your time. This way everyone gets to enjoy some time in the sun. It would improve pool experience for majority of guests.

Haven't been on an NCL ship in about three years, it is still the expected folks waking up before dawn, putting down a single book on a every chair, and not showing back up until after lunch to actually sit in them?
That isn't exactly a situation isolated to to NCL. I can't think of a cruise line where this doesn't happen. I know some cruise lines have pool deck attendants monitoring the situation but I don't know how effective that is. I just got off the Gem and never had a problem getting a lounger but I didn't want to be by the pool on a sea day when the area is a zoo. I actually prefer quiet and went to less crowded areas. I only used the pool on port days when I decided not to get off the ship and enjoy the serenity. It's nice when you have a big ship like the Gem all to yourself.

Simple solution would be to add numbers to chairs, and require people to reserve chairs with their room key. Reservation time would be limited to 2hrs or similar. If demand is low, and not one is on the wait list, you could extend your time. This way everyone gets to enjoy some time in the sun. It would improve pool experience for majority of guests.

Awesome awesome awesome IDEA ! You my friend are being promoted to Mgt.

Effective amediately ! 😃😃😃😃

Sent from my iPad using Forums

It's a vacation, not an exercise in Systems Management...

$total_passengers > $deck_chairs

Simple as that. FCFS.

• 1 month later...

Update from ship ! Here it is , on the Breeze right now. Chairs get stickers put on them now. If your gone longer then 40 minutes your things get removed. There is a person with clip board walking around marking towels every 30-40 minutes. Great Job Carnival !

Sailing on the Gem in July, I will waste no time in removing anything left on a chair that someone "reserved" for themselves. I look forward to the looks and/or comments when that person arrives to claim their chair.

I last cruised on Royal Caribbean and they had attendants clear the chairs every "hour". They were really diligent and did it way more frequently to the point of being annoying. Our chair got cleared more than once when we were actually there either in the pool or getting a drink at the bar.

But it's better than the alternative. I really hate people who reserve chairs like that. I plan to just remove the stuff and move the chair when we cruise in may/june. It's ridiculous to never ever have a seat and I refuse to walk up there at 7am with a stack of books.

I last cruised on Royal Caribbean and they had attendants clear the chairs every "hour". They were really diligent and did it way more frequently to the point of being annoying. Our chair got cleared more than once when we were actually there either in the pool or getting a drink at the bar.

But it's better than the alternative. I really hate people who reserve chairs like that. I plan to just remove the stuff and move the chair when we cruise in may/june. It's ridiculous to never ever have a seat and I refuse to walk up there at 7am with a stack of books.

Lol, this may not be perfect but we got a chair. I've heard some griping , but for the most part everyone's happy. We have two more days I'll keep you posted.

Don

That isn't exactly a situation isolated to to NCL. I can't think of a cruise line where this doesn't happen. I know some cruise lines have pool deck attendants monitoring the situation but I don't know how effective that is. I just got off the Gem and never had a problem getting a lounger but I didn't want to be by the pool on a sea day when the area is a zoo. I actually prefer quiet and went to less crowded areas. I only used the pool on port days when I decided not to get off the ship and enjoy the serenity. It's nice when you have a big ship like the Gem all to yourself.

Same here. I prefer the quite decks and spaces most avoid. Not wanting to worry about this I booked a spa balcony and am glad to pay the extra for the quite place.

I think all cruise likes have the 1 hour rule. Only on Celebrity in the Adult only pool did we ever see this enforced.