Magic Cruisers! Casual dressers enter please...

PresDuLac

Like NOLA, I heard that the Texas cruises and cruisers are more laid back so....

You're a casual dresser and don't dress up, that's just not you or your style.

Please tell me what you and/or your spouse/SO wore on 'Cruise Elegant' nights.

Or did you just skip the MDR and enjoy Lido?

If you just have to chime in because you do dress up....what kind of casual attire did you witness on CE nights?

I know what the 'official' recommendations are and what is officially not permitted as per carnival.com

I want to hear real experiences from people who have sailed on Magic.

And, yes, I've been on a few cruises but I'm asking for a first time cruiser and would love some ship specific - Magic only - responses.

TIA, y'all :)

Since I travel with family and don't give a flip about what any other passenger does I can only answer about us. The guys, including teenage boys wear solid colored light weight slacks with a solid buttoned shirt with the sleeves rolled up. the women wear dresses and or light weight slacks with a coordinating top or blouse. Jeans are too heavy to pack so we don't go that route nor do we wear "formal" attire. And our choice of clothing is because that is what we choose to wear...packs easily and is comfortable. On casual days we tend to wear sundresses, walking shorts with floral shirts and blouses, or solid colored tees. Again, easy to pack outfits since we fly in. Oh, and we wear sandals or boat shoes. Anf, for me personally dince my ankles always swell I wear leather..heaven forbid...flip flops all the time and have never been denied dining room access.

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

When we cruised on the Magic I bought 2 different short black cocktail dresses to wear on formal night. On the other nights I wore casual sundresses. My husband wore black slacks and a long sleeve Polo shirt for formal nights. You will see people wearing a little of everything.

Our last cruise was on the Magic, September 2012.

For cruise elegant nights, I saw lots of women who were dressed up. The ladies had on dressy dresses, cocktail dresses and fancy long dresses. A few of them had on dressy pants suits, with some wearing dress pants with fancy tops/blouses.

The men wore everything from suits, a few in tuxes, dressy pants and dress button-down shirts with matching ties to docker pants with floral caribbean shirts. I didn't see anyone with jeans on in the MDR on elegant nights. Yes jeans were popular on cruise casual nights. Both men and women had on jeans but dressed them up with nice shirts/tops.

We tend to dress up ourselves on elegant nights but that's our choice because we want to look good and take really nice pictures to buy.

On Cruise Elegant nights my wife enjoys dressing more formal than is required. Since she dresses this way and I don't want to look like a dork along side her I usually wear my tux. Doesn't matter to me...dressed up or dressed down. I usually feel pretty good by that time of day so, who cares.

We recently cruised with my parents out of New Orleans, but have cruised out of Galveston before too. My dad dresses in a suit and tie everyday for work and refuses to do so on his vacation. He wore khakis and a polo and fit in just fine on formal night. In fact there were plenty of other polo/khaki guys in the dining room with us. My mom and I wore a skirt and blouse. My husband and boys wore a shirt and tie.

The other nights the guys usually wore jeans and a polo and my mom and I wore jeans and a nice top/sweater. (It was cold a few nights)

Have fun!

Edited by TexCrsr

For me on regular days, a pair of black dressy capris and a nice top with sandals or a casual type dress. For formal nights a nicer cocktail type dress with strappy sandals.

For my husband he pretty much just brings a black pair of slacks for both regular and formal nights and changes out polo shirts. For my four year old it will be jeans and a nice shirt.

I have varied over the years how much effort I put in. I am in banking so I have to dress up every day, so sometimes while on vacation I just don't feel up to the challenge. I really could care less what everyone else is wearing as long as they have clothes on :) :D

Like NOLA, I heard that the Texas cruises and cruisers are more laid back so....

You're a casual dresser and don't dress up, that's just not you or your style.

Please tell me what you and/or your spouse/SO wore on 'Cruise Elegant' nights.

Or did you just skip the MDR and enjoy Lido?

If you just have to chime in because you do dress up....what kind of casual attire did you witness on CE nights?

I know what the 'official' recommendations are and what is officially not permitted as per carnival.com

I want to hear real experiences from people who have sailed on Magic.

And, yes, I've been on a few cruises but I'm asking for a first time cruiser and would love some ship specific - Magic only - responses.

TIA, y'all :)

Thanks for more replies :)

I personally think that khakis and a collared shirt or polo for guys is fine.

Same thing for women but maybe a top that looks a little dressier... or not.:)

I just want to put my friend's mind at ease so she and her hubby can enjoy their very first cruise and have a nice onboard 20th Anniversary too.

My idea of dressing up is something from j.jill's Wearever line, preferably crops and a cute/nice sweater and that's as dressed up as I'll get on any cruise.

Hubby dressed up a lot more than me on our first CCL cruise but by the second elegant night, he dropped the dress pants and tie and wore chinos and a button down shirt.

We are also a very casual family and don't really care what anyone else wears, elegant night or not. On our recent Magic cruise, we had dinner in the steakhouse on elegant night, so I might have been tempted to dress more formally if I was that type. As it was, this is how we dressed. We were far from being the most casual people, even in the steakhouse. I never felt out of place anywhere on the ship. I say wear what makes you comfortable!

The hubby and I dress up quite a bit, but Texas has its own rules on what constitutes dressy...dark wash blue jeans and a button up/blouse is all you really need. You'll be fine!!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Forums mobile app

On Carnival unlike the other CLs I've been on, for men as long as you have on long pants and real shoes you should be fine on elegant night. Our last Carnival cruise. DD wore dark dockers and a long sleeve button down. I'd say 25% were dressed better and 25% were dressed less. Most women in dresses but very few formal. Shorts on casual nights are fine for men, just no tanks, flip flops or baseball caps. Just stick one light weight pair of long pants in your suitcase and you will be fine. If you ever cruise Princess, RC or Celebrity expect most men in suits.

On Carnival unlike the other CLs I've been on, for men as long as you have on long pants and real shoes you should be fine on elegant night. Our last Carnival cruise. DD wore dark dockers and a long sleeve button down. I'd say 25% were dressed better and 25% were dressed less. Most women in dresses but very few formal. Shorts on casual nights are fine for men, just no tanks, flip flops or baseball caps. Just stick one light weight pair of long pants in your suitcase and you will be fine. If you ever cruise Princess, RC or Celebrity expect most men in suits.

What are "real" shoes?

We were on the Magic last October, and I wore a long sleeve shirt and tie with slacks on elegant night, and shorts with collard shirts on the other nights. I don't mind dressing up a bit, but do not like to have to drag the coat around on a Carribean Cruise. If no one wants to dress up, they should just bag it and have all nights cruise casual. What if they had a seperate venue for those who wanted a more formal dinning experience a couple of times on the cruise?

We are also a very casual family and don't really care what anyone else wears, elegant night or not. On our recent Magic cruise, we had dinner in the steakhouse on elegant night, so I might have been tempted to dress more formally if I was that type. As it was, this is how we dressed. We were far from being the most casual people, even in the steakhouse. I never felt out of place anywhere on the ship. I say wear what makes you comfortable!

We are a love to dress up family (well, except for my husband, but he's a good sport) and we also don't care what anyone else wears. The only guy we ever really noticed with how he dressed for dinner, originally got our attention because of how loud he was. He wore a loose tank top and shorts with flip flops every night but formal night. That night he had sleeves on his shirt. Oh, that was on Allure, btw so don't let anyone tell you it's only Carnival who ignores their own dress code.