Morningstar or Sapphire

melinda0222

We are at St. Thomas next Wed with 5 other ships. We are on NCL Getaway. We want to go to a beach and have fun with our 3 boys (10,8,6). We are considering going to Morningstar because it looks like a good body surfing beach and it is close by. We are also considering going to Sapphire for the snorkeling. Here is my question. Since there are 5 of us a taxi to and from Sapphire is $100. I believe a taxi to Morningstar will be around the $50-$60 roundtrip. Is Sapphire that much better than Morningstar? What about the crowds since there will be 6 ships. Just trying to decide if it is really worth double the price.

Thanks

To me, the best thing about Sapphire is the beautiful water and amazing views. It is our favorite beach in the USVI. I am not sure your kiddos would care about those things. I am sure they are much more concerned with having fun. So, as much I love Sapphire, I think it would make more sense for you to go to a beach closer to the ship.

You can find a good beach guide and taxi rates on VInow-- just google it.

Enjoy your day in St. Thomas

To me, the best thing about Sapphire is the beautiful water and amazing views. It is our favorite beach in the USVI. I am not sure your kiddos would care about those things. I am sure they are much more concerned with having fun. So, as much I love Sapphire, I think it would make more sense for you to go to a beach closer to the ship.

You can find a good beach guide and taxi rates on VInow-- just google it.

Enjoy your day in St. Thomas

Thank you for your response. That is exactly what I was looking for.

Actually I would go the other way with that many ships in port as Morningstar could be crowded being the closest beach to Havensight (+ the guests staying there). We're heading to STT for a week in a couple days and have been watching the webcam at Sapphire on the busiest days the past 2 weeks and even with 20k in port it's been very quiet. The dive center at Sapphire hds floaties and boogie boards last time we were there for the kiddies.

Edited by blue_water

Even though it's the closest beach, it's fairly large by VI standards and is seldom crowded though it's not sparse, either. Usually lots of families. Not many cruisers go to Morningstar, because very few taxi drivers mention it.