Cozumel dive shops that rent gear to independent divers?

sharonha

We are certified divers but would like to rent gear and do a little shore diving on our own to reacclimate before boat diving in other ports. Do any of the dive shops in Cozumel rent gear to independent divers, without going on a trip with them?

Cozumel is not a great shore diving location. Colorful reefs are farther off shore than is safe to dive from shore. The shore areas that are diveable are rubble with lots of fish.

You can do some shore diving, rental gear available, at Chankanaab park. They have shore guides available for a fee. Also, I know Carnival offers some excursions with beginner shore diving which will include a guide. Cozumel has current, too. Keep that in mind.

We stay at ScubaClubCozumel when we are doing a land based trip and they do not allow non-guests in for shore diving. HOWEVER, right next door south is Hotel Cozumel... anyone can dive the shore area there and the dive shop has rental gear. It is basically the same area as SCC, just southern part of it. Lots of fish and some corral rubble.

I have a couple of videos of that shore dive area:

both of these dives we are jumping off the pier at SCC, but we are diving over the whole area from Hotel Cozumel back north to SCC.

You can try Aquaworld - the shop is next to the Park Royal and is walkable from the International Pier. I take my own stuff and use another op in Coz but I have used my own stuff, gotten cylinders from Aquaworld and used their ladder for entry/exit. Aquaworld does boat dives so they rent gear. There isn't much to see there and you should really use a sausage b/c of the boat traffic but it sounds like that's the drill you're looking for. You can stay as shallow as you like or go deep. If you don't want to deal w/the SMB you can stay within the Park Royal's swimming marker buoys and you'll be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

dunno where else you are headed

but Sunset House in Cayman would be ideal for what you want to do ....

they have no problem with day visitors and the dive shop with

all rental gear is steps from the water. They have a 'sea pool'

which can serve as a protected entry exit point if needed and the diving

in the area is considered top notch.

EDEN ROCK runs a close second .... Sunset winning IMO because you also have "My Bar"

for after dive libation and/or a place for non-divers in the group to hang . . .

Have you considered doing SCUBA Review or a self guided SCUBA TuneUP at a local dive operator before you leave and then dive in all the the ports. That may be a simpler cheaper and easier solution than trying the get in a "practice dive" in a port on the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...