Boarding at Southampton

CRUISIN LINDA

We're another hour further up from Sheffield. Honestly, I can't understand his mentality sometimes, I've even looked into taking my own car and driving me and my sister down earlier setting off at 7am but decided that since dad is paying for the basic cruise, he can take the risk if we miss it. We will have appropriate travel insurance with cruise extra added on. I have asked several times if we can leave earlier but he won't have it.

Sheffield to Southampton outskirts is just over 4 hours if everything goes really smoothly. Add another 20 minutes to get to the terminal, depending on traffic... plus an hour as you are north of Sheffield.

Plus ten minutes for a loo stop (you weren't planning to stop and eat on the drive down, I assume?)

So leave at 10, arrive just after 3:30, just after checkin closes.

Ventura is due to sail at 4:30pm on April 25th, and all passengers must be on board one hour before scheduled sail time.

At least you might be in time to watch the ship sail without you :(

Edited to add: insurance won't cover you for missing the ship because you didn't leave enough time to get there.

Edited by Vampire Parrot

If it is a 'wind up' people are just feeding them and if they are genuine, they have been told enough times and it really is up to them......

Don't go worrying about them Trish.

You are right Scriv. I am sure nobody would be so stupid:eek:

its no wind up :(

My first cruise with P&O is on 25th April on Britannia.

We have sailed on RCCL many times before and we have always been at the port for around 10am and are usually onboard before 12. I can't imagine P&O would want hundreds if not thousands of people within the terminal building...

I will be arriving around 11am. No matter what time I get allocated...

Just looking at cruise parking, is it worth paying the £89 CPS or is the other one where you drive across the river and pay just £62 better? I'm considering taking my Aygo down so we have more room and me and sister can set off earlier. My Aygo is booked in for its service just two weeks before so it'll be all set with its summer tyres back on for a long trip.

Just looking at cruise parking, is it worth paying the £89 CPS or is the other one where you drive across the river and pay just £62 better? I'm considering taking my Aygo down so we have more room and me and sister can set off earlier. My Aygo is booked in for its service just two weeks before so it'll be all set with its summer tyres back on for a long trip.

We have parked at Marchwood. It was fine, except it took about an hour to get to the ship, due to several ships in and/or a boat show, so best to check what ships are in. Going back it took about 15 minutes!

I would stick with CPS. They are so convenient - you just arrive, take your stuff out of the car and hand it to the waiting porters, hand over your keys, sign aiece of paper and go to check in. Your car will be just a very short walk away when you return. They are slightly more expensive but if I hadn't got a really good overnight stay and parking package at a Southampton hotel, I would use them. We have used them lots of times in the past and never had a problem.

My first cruise with P&O is on 25th April on Britannia.

We have sailed on RCCL many times before and we have always been at the port for around 10am and are usually onboard before 12. I can't imagine P&O would want hundreds if not thousands of people within the terminal building...

I will be arriving around 11am. No matter what time I get allocated...

P&O check in opens later than RCI or Celebrity. Usually noon onwards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On our first cruise we left Stoke on Trent on a Friday at 10.30am and it took us 6 hours due to heavy traffic on the motorways. Lucky we had booked an over night stay but it taught us a lesson. Now we travel down at least a day before the cruise and even two if it avoids travelling on a Friday ! We stay at the Holiday Inn, soak up the atmosphere watching the ships come and go and chill out.

If anyone has ever seen the Keeping Up Appearances episode where Hyacinth and her husband are going on the QE2 and are stuck in traffic ---- that would be my idea of a pre cruise journey from hell !!!

Like many others have said we tend to ignore the times and get there as soon as we can. On our first cruise we stuck to the times given and had a wander around Southampton - now we just want to get on the ship as it is our favourite part of the cruise as the excitement builds up !

For anyone who hasn't tried an overnight stay, just one tip - book well in advance!

Just a thought - why not book in to the Premier Inn or one of the hotels that includes parking. If it is going to push your budget there may be a premier inn or similar on the way down.

Just a thought - hope you get to your ship on time. You are right to ignore your dad I'm afraid.

Another accident today on the M40 junction 9 to 10. Thankfully no-one killed, but motorway closed for some time. From experience I can say that junction 9,10,11 has accidents/incidents several times a week.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/11808172.UPDATE__Traffic_easing_on_A34_and_M40_after_traffic_light_problems_at_junction_9_caused_huge_tailbacks/

We'll have the radio set up to receive traffic updates so that we can always take different routes if need be

Like everyone else caught in a traffic hold up ---- everyone gets off the motorway and tries the back roads, which then become blocked too.

I am beginning to think that you are not really serious about this journey and trying to wind us all up. No one can come on here to ask advice and then not take any notice of it.

Happy and safe journey - wherever you end up (and when).

Watch this before you travel --- show your dad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AX6CE8RDM

Edited by Presto2

Like everyone else caught in a traffic hold up ---- everyone gets off the motorway and tries the back roads, which then become blocked too.

I am beginning to think that you are not really serious about this journey and trying to wind us all up. No one can come on here to ask advice and then not take any notice of it.

Happy and safe journey - wherever you end up (and when).

Watch this before you travel --- show your dad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-AX6CE8RDM

I am beginning to agree with you Presto. sympathy is running out.:confused:

We'll have the radio set up to receive traffic updates so that we can always take different routes if need be

Imagine this scenario :

You are on the motorway, you passed an exit half a mile back and your radio kicks in to "warn" you that an accident has just happened ahead of you, you have to carry on intending to get off at the next exit 15 miles away but the traffic comes to a complete stop.

Do you :

A) sit in the car for 4 hours while the air ambulance comes in to collect the unfortunate accident victims, the vehicle recovery company comes to remove the wrecks, then the police gradually start to re-open the motorway.

B) switch on the jet packs that are built into your car so that you can lift off and fly over the rest of the hold up so that you arrive in Southampton in time to board the ship.

Like most people on this forum, I am starting to think that this is a wind up but if it's not then you are very naive. I hope that you do make the trip with no problems and do get there in time to board and enjoy your cruise.