Getting Worried, Still No Assigned Room

monicakm

I'm 4 days out (3 days from flying out) and still don't have a cabin assignment. While I know it will work out and everything will be fine if I don't get an assignment before I fly out, a part of me has conjured up all kinds of scenarios to worry about.

....arriving at the port after flying in and finding out that somehow, someone "lost" my booking and gee, we don't have anything and the ship is full so you can't board, (visions of me standing on the dock with my luggage as the ship sails away :(

....or they let me board, but I have to sleep on deck, and the next morning, angry passengers accuse me of being a chair hog since my luggage is there "saving" my deck chair :mad:

....the person doing the cabin assignments was out sick and no one covered--opps, sorry, you'll have to wait in the terminal until we can contact headquarters and figure it out (visions of an empty terminal with everyone on board except me while they are on the phone trying to figure out what to do with me)

I know in the end, it will all work out (hey, I'm going on a cruise :D). But for now, I just have to "suffer" through these strange "visions." ;)

This would indeed be true if one were in the vicinity of a printer when the time came. (Perhaps my little joke about no tags has been taken a tad too seriously in some quarters.)

BM says that before the system was designed that a perm marker was used. :p

Edited by Colo Cruiser

BM says that before the system was designed that a perm marker was used. :p

It's probably true:eek: Before computers, at AT&T, we used a big book and a pencil to inventory cable pairs and central office equipment. When we needed to update information, the old equipment was erased and the new written in.

It's probably true:eek: Before computers, at AT&T, we used a big book and a pencil to inventory cable pairs and central office equipment. When we needed to update information, the old equipment was erased and the new written in.

Do you have the phone number for "Card Records"? :)

Terry

THIS! (sigh)

I'm 4 days out (3 days from flying out) and still don't have a cabin assignment. While I know it will work out and everything will be fine if I don't get an assignment before I fly out, a part of me has conjured up all kinds of scenarios to worry about.

....arriving at the port after flying in and finding out that somehow, someone "lost" my booking and gee, we don't have anything and the ship is full so you can't board, (visions of me standing on the dock with my luggage as the ship sails away :(

....or they let me board, but I have to sleep on deck, and the next morning, angry passengers accuse me of being a chair hog since my luggage is there "saving" my deck chair :mad:

....the person doing the cabin assignments was out sick and no one covered--opps, sorry, you'll have to wait in the terminal until we can contact headquarters and figure it out (visions of an empty terminal with everyone on board except me while they are on the phone trying to figure out what to do with me)

Got an email from Princess a few mintues ago. My heart did a double take and I thought "this is it!"...it wasn't it :( IT was a reminder to book excursions. Why? For all I know I've fallen thru the Princess cracks :o

Princess does this week in and week out for 18 ships, they know what they are doing.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

I sail in a week and have no assignment yet. I'm not worried. It's annoying, yes, but not unheard of to wait until the last minute for an assignment. (This is one reason I don't often do guarantees, but it was necessary this time.)

Just to clarify, since I see this misconception repeated often, you can still access your Personalizer to print out boarding passes/luggage tags right up until virtually the last minute (I know the night before, it still worked; can't say about sailing morning but don't see why not).

My experience has been that the booking is gone from

the personalizer on the day of sailing.

However, you can still access it with booking number and last name.

I know in the end, it will all work out (hey, I'm going on a cruise :D). But for now, I just have to "suffer" through these strange "visions." ;)

Scenario 4:

You have to sleep in employees quarters displacing a person from their bed. In defense of said-displaced person, the rest of the staff rallies around them and in an act of solidarity, they conspire to make your cruise less than enjoyable... (OK, that probably won't happen)

Scenario 5:

You receive a stateroom assignment that is exactly what you expected. You write the stateroom number on your luggage tags. You enjoy your cruise and come back and write a terrific review, making the rest of us just a wee-bit jealous!:)

I pick number 5!

Let us know when you get it! Have fun and bon voyage!

Scenario 4:

You have to sleep in employees quarters displacing a person from their bed. In defense of said-displaced person, the rest of the staff rallies around them and in an act of solidarity, they conspire to make your cruise less than enjoyable... (OK, that probably won't happen)

Scenario 5:

You receive a stateroom assignment that is exactly what you expected. You write the stateroom number on your luggage tags. You enjoy your cruise and come back and write a terrific review, making the rest of us just a wee-bit jealous!:)

I pick number 5!

Let us know when you get it! Have fun and bon voyage!

Ding, ding, ding...scenario 5! Yay, just got my cabin assignment (whew). Booked an inside (IB) and got an ocean view! I am so relieved I won't have to deal with angry pax accusing me of being a chair hog or disgrundled crew cause I kicked someone out of their cabin. [emoji2] Luggage tag is printed and I can stop obsessively checking the personalizer and focus on packing...omg...I have so much to do this weekend....lol.

Thanks everyone for putting up with me and letting me vent my crazy worries.

You need to get a new TA or they are not as savvy as you think - you can request a change in cabin within the same category once a guarantee has been allocated to you - I have done it:)

In all fairness to my TA: she said she was sure I couldn't do it, but called Princess directly while I was on the line just to make sure. Same answer. In any case, they wouldn't do it. Period.

More Princess inconsistency? I did, though, get an upgrade from inside to obstructed OV, so maybe that had something to do with it...

Edited by shepp

I called Princess today to check, again, on my cabin (or lack of) assignment. He assured me I was in the system and was guaranteed at least a B2 category (Caribe, extended balcony). Then he made this comment, "generally speaking, the longer it takes to get an assigned cabin, the more likely you are to be assigned an upgrade (which could be a suite)". I said, "that brings me to my next question, one I'm sure you've never been asked. What if I don't want to be upgraded to a suite. Do I have the option of saying, thanks but no thanks?" I started to explain myself when I heard him laughing. I mean REALLY laughing! He said that's the first time he's ever heard that one :D I explained to him that the size of the (shade and open) balcony and having cabins above and below us (no public areas) is more important than the size of the room (to us) and that the Caribe deck fits that description. My question to him was can I politely decline the upgrade. He said yes, we have 48 hours to do so.

Question: Do any of the suites have the smaller balconies or are they all deluxe/extended size?

I called Princess today to check, again, on my cabin (or lack of) assignment. He assured me I was in the system and was guaranteed at least a B2 category (Caribe, extended balcony). Then he made this comment, "generally speaking, the longer it takes to get an assigned cabin, the more likely you are to be assigned an upgrade (which could be a suite)". I said, "that brings me to my next question, one I'm sure you've never been asked. What if I don't want to be upgraded to a suite. Do I have the option of saying, thanks but no thanks?" I started to explain myself when I heard him laughing. I mean REALLY laughing! He said that's the first time he's ever heard that one :D I explained to him that the size of the (shade and open) balcony and having cabins above and below us (no public areas) is more important than the size of the room (to us) and that the Caribe deck fits that description. My question to him was can I politely decline the upgrade. He said yes, we have 48 hours to do so.

Question: Do any of the suites have the smaller balconies or are they all deluxe/extended size?

48 hours is not always the case, there have been experience by some that they lost their cabin to an upgrade, by the time they were told about it there old cabin had already been reassigned. If you think you don't want an upgrade mark your res accordingly now.

Some suite balconies are small.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Any news?:o

She posted this on the upgrade fairy thread....

We got our cabin assignment today (we sail in 6 days!). It's a wheel chair accessible room. Princess rep said it's bigger than a mini suite (395 sq ft)but it doesn't have a bathtub. Shower is large enough for a wheelchair and bathroom can accommodate two people at the same time. I'm pleased with the upgrade from a standard B2 category :)

We didn't do as well this time. Assigned this morning for Saturdays departure. Booked Obstructed Ocean View and got an Obstructed OW rather than and OZ this time. Just a slightly more central location than what it could have been. I can see some land outside as well as a tender when looking at Renmar's web site pictures. We book what we will be happy with for the price and we have had amazing upgrade luck on a lot of cruises last year.

Terry

You have chair # 345 on the lido deck.

Closer to the truth than you may know! :D

The only time I've done a GTY room was on a Canada & New England cruise (last Fall, 2014) on the Royal. I hadn't heard a word about cabin assignment and was nearly a nervous wreck til I got the email *6 days* before sailing. It announced our upgrade from the ME level guaranty we had to a M6 . . . which is pretty unusual from what I heard. So the M6 room we landed in was a forward-facing on the, yup you guessed it, Lido Deck! It was a very large, square-format room (vs the long rectangle of a usual ME mini-suite) with a giant deck. Only drawbacks were 1) we were opposite end of the ship from most eateries, 2) we had to keep the balcony drapes drawn at night as we were directly above the bridge, and 3) when we ran into rough waters, we felt it much more than if we had been lower than the Lido Deck (didn't bother us much but did make for some stumble-swaying-canted walking in the hallways). So, it paid to wait and it was a fun upgrade!

Edited by tuckersgirl