Flat Irons - Ladies, this question is for you!

ilovetotravel1977

Have brought one on every trip for the last 11 years and have never had one confiscated by TSA* or the ship. I have also never had a breaker issue, but at first used a cheapie one and now have my trusty CHI that only has the one heat setting. Others may have had an issue if theirs is adjustable, but I've never heard of such a thing

*I did blame TSA (and owe them a big apology) for YEARS for taking my flat iron away. I never directly complained and joked about it with many friends over the years. Then one day, I was searching through the never used upper zipper compartment of my suitcase, and there it was. I had been traveling with 2 flat irons for years unknowingly!

I had mine confiscated from my carry-on at the Port on Getaway last year. Worse, they tried to take it AND the entire case (which has my brushes, clips, hairspray, etc. I balked and they finally relented and let me keep a case after consulting a supervisor.

None of the folks who checked their bags had a problem and kept theirs. On the last day when I picked mine up from the "naught room retrieval" they told me I should have just checked it and it was a training issue with the Port of Miami staff. I took it on Breakway last weekend with no problems.

Mine will be in my carry-on as that is all we are taking for luggage...

Flat/curling irons have very low wattage (yes, even the high heat ones); hard to imagine they would trip a breaker.

If they try to confiscate, ask for a supervisor and plead your case.

Edited by asubaru