Unable or Hard to walk solution for cruisers

I have just found a solution for one gal in my large group who cruises with me every year. She has a very hard time walking, but still wants to get around. I found a company on the web, scootaround.com, who will deliver and pick up a motorized scooter to the ship for the 7 day trip. She is thrilled and so am I! Hope this helps someone.
Serenity Blue Snow

A sober cruise is a great time you will never forget!

We used CareVacations for our last trip to rent a scooter for my brother-in-law. They were very easy to work with and reasonably priced. The scooter was waiting in his cabin when we arrived and we were instructed to leave it in his cabin at the end of the cruise.

Dale

One thing to be aware of...

It's essential that you receive full instructions on it's operation and maintenance and that the battery is fully charged (or that a charge unit is provided).

Nothing worse than a scooter or power wheelchair with a battery that's dead 1 day into the cruise.

Walt Tuthill
Cruise Board Moderator

Contact at [email]Shiptender@aol.com[/email]

Walt:

CareVacations not only gave us all those things (instructions, charged scooter and charge unit), they also recomended that we bring an extension cord in case the plug was in a bad place or the scooter would not fit in the cabin.

Dale

Dale,
Now that is an excellent tip! I will bring a long extension cord for this elderly lady who has enough on her mind just getting to the ship! I will give her the instruction regarding charging and operation. Last trip she and her pal managed to get home then discovered one had the wrong luggage! I hope this trip is uneventful in a good way!Thanks guys. So happy I chance on this CC site!

A sober cruise is a great time you will never forget!

• 2 years later...
Another point! Check the ship regulations for battery type. Most ships allow gel-cell batteries, but not wet-cell batteries. Be sure to emphasize the point when arranging with the rental company.

Jeane

I've always found care vacations to be cheaper than scoot around. Plus care is based in florida while Scoot around is in Canada. If something goes wrong while boarding your caribe cruise, I think Care will be more equipped to address it. Just my experience.

Candy

One caution: bring a heavy duty extention cord for your scooter/wheelchair. Just the lightweight - everyday extension cords are not appropriate for charging a scooter and/or wheelchair. Sometimes the rental agency will supply them. It is truly useful - because electrical outlets are usually not in a convenient spot for overnight charging.

Also - you might also consider bringing (or renting) a manual wheelchair. It can be useful for shore excursions - and also at night for getting to the bathroom- if necessary (espcecially on "rocky nights") - when your power chair/scooter is being charged.

And if you have a power chair/scooter delivered to the ship - bringing your personal manual chair is very convenient at the airport - getting to/from the gates - to baggage, etc. As well as to/from your cabin when you need to leave the power equipment in your cabin.

[quote name='Queenie2']I've always found care vacations to be cheaper than scoot around. Plus care is based in florida while Scoot around is in Canada. If something goes wrong while boarding your caribe cruise, I think Care will be more equipped to address it. Just my experience.

Candy[/QUOTE]

I believe that Care Vacations is located in Alberta Canada. I have rented wheelchairs through them before and had great service.

Toni

Archived