Havana Daydreamin Back 2 Back on Serenade NOLA "LIVE"

OH, by the way, we are enjoying "Loaded Landsharks" in our garage as we come home to near 70 degree temps.

Kurt, (Stones 902) I am also enjoying the only cigar that I brought that did not get smoked on board....a second Camacho Liberty 2014. :D And I am using my Big Stinky cigar receptacle rather than my travel one. (Look it up....they are quite nice for patio/garage smoke events)

As we all know, that journey toward home is filled with a variety of feelings (I will be happy to be home....I don't look forward to the travel home...I miss the ship ALREADY!!!.....Wondering about who is in "YOUR" cabin and are they as excited as you were......and as an earlier poster (sorry, I think it was Janet...I am too lazy to go look, please forgive me!) said - "Feeling Melancholy."

We had a bit of the melanchoy-ish notion but were looking forward to a portion of travel that would be different on the way home. We took I10 to Baton Rouge but instead of connecting to I49 at Lafayette, we chose to take 190 out of Baton Rouge to Opelousas.

Our original plan had our sight set on Eddies BBQ at Alexandria for some more boudin!

HOWEVER, on this excursion on the 190 from Baton Rouge to Opelousas, we saw roadside stands for things like fresh strawberries, boiled peanuts, jumbo shrimp....and an occasional sign for cracklins.

We wondered if Eddies BBQ would have cracklins as we planned that as our first stop toward home.

THEN CAME.......Krotz Springs!!!!! It is not far east of Opelousas.

I noted a store that had a sign that combined....YUP....Boudin AND cracklins! I asked Barbara if she wanted to stop. (SIDE NOTE-She KNOWS how much I dislike stops as I have to get from point A to Point B in the most expeditious and rapid way possible at the moment) Her reply was very nicely "It's up to you."

Before I knew it I did a U-Turn (Yes, that was the only way to get back and I think allowable) and deftly parked right in front of the store.

We got out thinking how much fun it was going to be to find cracklins and enjoy them. LITTLE DID WE KNOW.......

We entered with not very high expectations ONLY to be seized with the euphoria of what can only be described as "Charcuterie Heaven!"

We wandered through the small store known as Kartchner's....seeing about every kind of boudin sausage imaginable along with all other kinds of hand crafted sausages, meats, etouffee's and gumbo combinations!

We wandered through this small slice of heaven with eyes bulged out and our speech quite animated about what we had just stumbled upon. I am certain that the proprietors and other residents were somewhat amused because there was not doubt about "You're not from around here are you."

We were asked if we needed assistance. To which, we replied that we were just trying to selected what we wanted to purchase AND ..... WHERE are the cracklins?

I think it is time to load in some pictures of this location for you to get it in your minds eye and I will have some comments to follow.

I took these on my phone, so overlook the quality please, as I was overcome with the delight of hand crafted meats! I did not get out my Canon 60D. There were "bigger fish to fry", so to speak.:D

IMG_4081_zps2554275b.jpg

IMG_4082_zps58606b98.jpg

IMG_4083_zps91334d7d.jpg

IMG_4084_zps170b5c94.jpg

Maybe I should have titled this post "Charcuterie Heaven" and "DO I HAVE TO LEAVE!!!!"

While we were determining our selections of what we might be able to bring, I kept asking (and I think it was out loud) "I wonder if they have coolers." Barbara finally reminded me that we had taken a soft side cooler for beers at our side. She inquired as to if I knew where it was. Yes, I did...in my suitcase at the bottom!!! But I knew I could get it easily...which I did and we proceeded to fill up the soft sided cooler with the charcuterie delights!!!!

I have to pause and repeat a picture from earlier. I know I muttered out loud several times "I wonder if they have coolers" right in front of this set of refrigerators. Note what is on top of them! I did not see that until this morning.:o

IMG_4082_zps58606b98.jpg

Upon filling up "our" cooler, we turned our attention to dry goods. Yes, we brought home two different flavors of cajun barbecue sauce....field peas, pickled quail eggs, malitons, and hot pements. Of course, we remembered the cracklins as they would be our snacks through the day and boudin balls.....pork, crawfish, and jalapeño cream cheese that we dined upon en route.

I informed them that we were traveling back to our home in Dodge City and I wonder if they had fun about our simple delights that is an everyday fact of life for them, but a slice of heaven on earth for us. I expect that we were their highest paying single customers of the day!

One of the proprietors, Liz, allowed me also to take some snapshots of their smoking areas. As I like to smoke and craft meats, this was so delightful.

IMG_4086_zps859fde75.jpg

IMG_4087_zps14588ac0.jpg

This single stop would be a repeated topic of conversation and memories all the way into Wichita where we stopped with Mom & Dad for the night arriving shortly before 10 PM.

Edited by Havana Daydreamin

I have enjoyed reading your posts, usually while out on my back deck enjoying a good cigar. Fine wine, good cigars and the view of the sea. Isn't life grand. And aren't we blessed to be able to experience this. We will be on Serenade the end of March with my parents and our kids. I look forward to a good glass of Cab and some great sticks with my son as we relax after a wonderful day of cruising. Opus X is a fine smoke. I would recommend you try the Aging Room F55 Quattro. A boutique company that makes some great cigars. Highly ranked by Cigar Afficianado. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and photos. It has raised our level of excitement and anticipation even more than it was already.

OH, by the way, we are enjoying "Loaded Landsharks" in our garage as we come home to near 70 degree temps.

Kurt, (Stones 902) I am also enjoying the only cigar that I brought that did not get smoked on board....a second Camacho Liberty 2014. :D And I am using my Big Stinky cigar receptacle rather than my travel one. (Look it up....they are quite nice for patio/garage smoke events)

Thanks for the tip - I'll do that!

Thanks again for the great review. It was fun to share your vacation! Perhaps one day we'll be able to share a fine cigar and cocktail on a future sailing? Take care!

Kurt

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I have been following your review, enjoying both the narrative and the excellent photos - thank you for taking the trouble... But the thing that has kept me enthralled is the fine collection (and variety) of cigars you have enjoyed! After every posting I have eagerly sought more information on the web, reading the reviews and studying every detail. Thank you for the education!

I just wanted to thank you again for this wonderful review! As I told you on the ship you helped relieve some of my worry.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person last week and we will be watching for reviews in the future of your Alaska cruise!!

Take care!

Rene

I just wanted to thank you again for this wonderful review! As I told you on the ship you helped relieve some of my worry.

It was a pleasure to meet you in person last week and we will be watching for reviews in the future of your Alaska cruise!!

Take care!

Rene

It was very pleasant to meet you at over morning coffee!! I am humbled that my simple stories assisted in relieving some anxieties.

I hope your cruise was everything you dreamed it would be and is a part of your daydreams too!

I have enjoyed reading your posts, usually while out on my back deck enjoying a good cigar. Fine wine, good cigars and the view of the sea. Isn't life grand. And aren't we blessed to be able to experience this. We will be on Serenade the end of March with my parents and our kids. I look forward to a good glass of Cab and some great sticks with my son as we relax after a wonderful day of cruising. Opus X is a fine smoke. I would recommend you try the Aging Room F55 Quattro. A boutique company that makes some great cigars. Highly ranked by Cigar Afficianado. Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comments and photos. It has raised our level of excitement and anticipation even more than it was already.

Yes, we are indeed blessed for experiencing this slice of life. I recall enjoying cigar with my son on Voyager years ago.

I appreciate the recommendation on the Aging Room F55 Quattro. I do like to sample boutique cigars. In fact, the Las Caliveras that I enjoyed on the cruise was on my list to bring home to my humidor from Cigar Chateau in Wichita. They are resting comfortably and safely until an appropriate time and day.

Glad you enjoyed the posts and I look forward to finding your recommendation!

I have been following your review, enjoying both the narrative and the excellent photos - thank you for taking the trouble... But the thing that has kept me enthralled is the fine collection (and variety) of cigars you have enjoyed! After every posting I have eagerly sought more information on the web, reading the reviews and studying every detail. Thank you for the education!

You are welcome for the live thread as I do enjoy doing them and have reread it twice myself upon return home.

As for the cigar study that you did, I have to say WOW! Glad to have provided the extras even through unintentionally. Fine cigars are a wonderful way to daydream!

Thanks for the tip - I'll do that!

Thanks again for the great review. It was fun to share your vacation! Perhaps one day we'll be able to share a fine cigar and cocktail on a future sailing? Take care!

Kurt

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Who knows?:) We just might find ourselves on a same sailing one day. If not, kindred spirits can enjoy vicariously as well!

It seems to be what daydreams are about!

I wanted to ask but forgot to earlier :)

When you went to Chops for dinner did they have the menu with the dry-aged steaks available for an additional charge or was it the one with 18 ounce Porterhouse on the menu that is already included?

I am seeing 2 different Chops Grille menus out there.

Thanks

When you went to Chops for dinner did they have the menu with the dry-aged steaks available for an additional charge or was it the one with 18 ounce Porterhouse on the menu that is already included?

Thanks

I believe all the ships have gone to the menu with the extra cost steaks.

I believe all the ships have gone to the menu with the extra cost steaks.

Good, because I am going to be all over one of those dry-aged porterhouse steaks. :)

My Cruise Planner is one of the places still showing the menu without the additional upcharge steaks.

Good, because I am going to be all over one of those dry-aged porterhouse steaks. :)

My Cruise Planner is one of the places still showing the menu without the additional upcharge steaks.

Please report back on what you find. I figure it's likely the cruise planner is wrong, but I'd like to know for sure.

Thanks

Howdy!

I believe that there was an 18 oz Porterhouse on the regular menu at Chops, but I do not recall that it was "dry aged."

There were several dry aged options for the uncharge amount.

I did not look much at the 18 oz because with all that was included I knew there was no way I could down a chunk of protein like that. I was extremely full just having the filet.

Hope it helps. Happy dining!

Howdy!

I believe that there was an 18 oz Porterhouse on the regular menu at Chops, but I do not recall that it was "dry aged."

There were several dry aged options for the uncharge amount.

I did not look much at the 18 oz because with all that was included I knew there was no way I could down a chunk of protein like that. I was extremely full just having the filet.

Hope it helps. Happy dining!

OK, thanks for the info.

When departing NOLA did you pass any of the returning cruise ships?

On the Navigator a few years ago we passed two on our way out, kind of cool passing that close in the dark. We could actually see other people in their cabin on the other ship. Unfortunately it happened so fast I could not get my camera.

Would like to be ready this time if the opportunity presents itself.

Great review by the way.

Mike

When departing NOLA did you pass any of the returning cruise ships?

On the Navigator a few years ago we passed two on our way out, kind of cool passing that close in the dark. We could actually see other people in their cabin on the other ship. Unfortunately it happened so fast I could not get my camera.

Would like to be ready this time if the opportunity presents itself.

Great review by the way.

Mike

Thank you, Mike. We did not pass any on our first leg due to a later departure on Day 2.

I cannot speak for the second leg, because I believe that I might have been experience a huge case of "shuteye" when that opportunity might have presented itself.

I can add that we were scheduled to pick up the pilot around 10 PM the night before we returned. I would almost venture a guess that it may be a possibility. I just forgot about looking at the beginning of the second leg and cannot say for sure. Sorry.

Thanks for the note.

We are getting very excited to do the same B2B as you in a few weeks. Can you tell me what time the consecutive cruiser lunch was held? Do you remember what they served?

It was held at noon....I will have to tell you what the options were when my wife can share the image on her phone with me as I did not have my camera at that time.

Check back later and I will have it!