Toddler in a cab???? Help

nicjoel0114

As you have already seen, opinions run the spectrum. Some are quite judgmental and first-world preachy.

Our preference is always to travel with car seats or rent where we can, but the reality is that you'll be at some ports with taxis that won't accomodate a car seat.

You'll have to make a choice that's within your comfort level. Every day we get out of bed and make choices that are inherently dangerous. You will have to weigh the quality of the experience against the liklihood of danger.

Yes, yes, I know ... if you're the 1 in a 100 ...

Truth is, if you approached things like that in every situation every day, you'd likely be housebound.

When my kids were younger, they were in car seats 99% of the time (and in boosters until around 8 - 10, depending on size). However, as parents, we make calculated risks all of the time, and it is up to the parents.

No, that's not at all what I was saying. :rolleyes:

My apologies. Went back and read your post. You said (partially):

Honestly! I remember my first port, Jamaica...OMG. I'm pretty sure buzzed teenagers drive better, yet, all was well.

They drive crazy, yes, but rarely an accident. It's like they know the crazy limit or accept it. idk.

Which I interpret to mean you feel teens driving in Jamaica drive better when they are "buzzed". I would disagree with that and with your statement about "rarely an accident". Jamaica has many fatal traffic accidents every year.

And about the "judgmental and preachy remark", no one thinks they are going to get up in the morning and be involved in a fatal car accident. Yet, it happens to people every day. Bring, your car seat, don't bring your car seat. It's totally your choice. Just don't kid yourself that just because you've never been in an accident, or "we all rode around without seat belts when we were kids, and nothing ever happened" that you will always be safe.

Sometimes stuff happens.

Edited by 6rugrats

... or "we all rode around without seat belts when we were kids, and nothing ever happened" that you will always be safe.

Sometimes stuff happens.

You will never "always be safe".

As I said, if car seats are not available - as they sometimes aren't - the parent will need to weigh the benefit of the experience against the likelihood of an accident.

And then make the decision understanding that some people will think it's a reflection of their parenting priorities:

No, I think I understand this poster saying their child isn't worth the inconvenience of carrying a car seat.

Peace out.

My apologies. Went back and read your post. You said (partially):

Which I interpret to mean you feel teens driving in Jamaica drive better when they are "buzzed". I would disagree with that and with your statement about "rarely an accident". Jamaica has many fatal traffic accidents every year.

I am pretty sure it meant that some people in Jamaica (presumably not buzzed and of all ages) drive even worse than a buzzed 16 year old in the U.S. (or other similar place).