Vista IMAX - cost and cost/benefit

doconner

Hmm, when I saw the IMAX theater advertised for the Vista, I didn't realize that it was something extra that you'd have to pay for. Since I haven't really looked at the deck plans for this new ship, is this theater replacing the outdoor theater they normally have, or is it in addition to? My husband and I are big moviegoers, but I don't know that I would pay to see an IMAX film on a ship. We can do that anywhere.

Hmm, when I saw the IMAX theater advertised for the Vista, I didn't realize that it was something extra that you'd have to pay for. Since I haven't really looked at the deck plans for this new ship, is this theater replacing the outdoor theater they normally have, or is it in addition to? My husband and I are big moviegoers, but I don't know that I would pay to see an IMAX film on a ship. We can do that anywhere.

No it is not replacing the outdoor screen at the pool deck. That will still be there for free in the beach pool deck

The IMax is in addition to see blockbuster new movies like you are going to the movie theater n land you will be able to do it at see if you like but for slightly a lower price

• 2 months later...

I LOVE Imax and I don't mind paying a bit extra.... I cannot easily go to the Imax at home ... or for any movie it seems.... Might be a perfect late night splurge... Some people spend money to gamble or drink and I will be chilling in front of the big screen! :) I love seeing movies on the Ships!! :)

I think the first run movies will be a hit... The other movies could be empty.. I am sure if they have movies break like Minions during the summer the place would be packed. If it were happening later in year when Star Wars breaks it would be packed.

Also, will there be butter available for the popcorn? thats like having a dog with no ketchup or mustard.

I am looking forward to visiting the Imax on our cruise next summer. We will be on a 10 day and I am thinking we will enjoy the "down" time of just kicking back and watching a movie.

Not really concerned a nominal charge - if it got to be more expensive than a movie on land, then I might take a pass on it.

The documentary short films will be free. Hard to tell from the deck plans, but I'm guessing seating will be at around 150.

Carnival Multiplex

Location: Deck 6 - midship (Thrill Theater on Deck 6 / IMAX on Decks 7/8/9)

Hours:show times vary

Function: Thrill Theater and IMAX Theatre

Lobby area with seating and concession stand selling popcorn, candy and beverages ($)

Kiosks to purchase ticketsThrill Theater: showing short movies with multi-dimension, special effects and motion ($)

IMAX Theatre: 3-deck high screen showing complimentary documentary shorts, first run Hollywood Blockbusters ($) and recent titles ($)

Edited by AdrenalineRush

• 1 year later...
I just got off the phone with Carnival and I got a straight answer!!!

IMAX admission on Vista:

Adults for feature films $12.95

Children/Seniors (55+) $9.95

Classic Adventure films $5.95

:cool:

Thanks for the update.

Those prices aren't that bad, and they are for CURRENT run movies.

I got the information last night from a supervisor at Carnival's call center. I was thrilled because it was actually easy to get the info which is a new experience for me. She said it was feature films and explained that she could not provide examples because they are always changing :) I don't know about where you live but where I'm from going to the movies costs $15 - $18 a head. That is why I never go! I plan to do the IMAX but I also consider my time on a cruise as very valuable and generally do not do things there that I can also do at home.

While I understand we all have our preferences and idiosyncrasies, I fail to understand why anyone would spend their valuable time complaining about the choices other people make. I think some of you belong on the "why I hate IMAX" thread. This thread is for people who want information to make a decision about a feature they may or may not choose to use.

People that impose their will on others reduce the joy in life with their ignorance

IMAX is a wonderful way to show movies. The shipboard version is actually the digital version that is in most of the IMAX theaters in multiplex cinemas. It is not the 70mm 15 perforation version shown in theaters usually attached to educational institutions like museums and science centers.

The sound is the same multi-track digital format used in land theaters, and the seating and sight lines are meeting the same specifications to wear the IMAX badge. The sound is excellent and adds to immersive experience of the IMAX format. Complaints from people about the noise from the theater are from the same people who would complain if a cat was walking on the carpet outside their door.

The movies are first run and are delivered to the ship on a hard drive or by satellite. Carnival is treated like any other theater owner and shares the ticket revenue with the movie's owner.

The theaters are capable of 3D, but they would need to charge a lot more for the rights, and would need equipment and staff assigned to sanitize the glasses between showings. I understand the theaters are full now, so why use 3D to draw a crowd?

I look forward to my voyage on Horizon in a spanking new theater. I have asked that the pop corn be freshly made in coconut oil and served with real melted butter. Anything less would be blasphemous.

LOL!!! I LOVE your review!!! That is great! I also agree about the complainers as I know soundproofing technology is pretty solid nowadays. I think some people just complain about everything in hopes of getting a discount on their next cruise. If they were really that dissatisfied they would vacation on land ;p

IMAX is a wonderful way to show movies. The shipboard version is actually the digital version that is in most of the IMAX theaters in multiplex cinemas. It is not the 70mm 15 perforation version shown in theaters usually attached to educational institutions like museums and science centers.

The sound is the same multi-track digital format used in land theaters, and the seating and sight lines are meeting the same specifications to wear the IMAX badge. The sound is excellent and adds to immersive experience of the IMAX format. Complaints from people about the noise from the theater are from the same people who would complain if a cat was walking on the carpet outside their door.

The movies are first run and are delivered to the ship on a hard drive or by satellite. Carnival is treated like any other theater owner and shares the ticket revenue with the movie's owner.

The theaters are capable of 3D, but they would need to charge a lot more for the rights, and would need equipment and staff assigned to sanitize the glasses between showings. I understand the theaters are full now, so why use 3D to draw a crowd?

I look forward to my voyage on Horizon in a spanking new theater. I have asked that the pop corn be freshly made in coconut oil and served with real melted butter. Anything less would be blasphemous.

They were showing Spider-man in 3D when I was on board.

• 4 weeks later...

To each their own. Personally I am a movie lover, I hate sitting thru commercials so movies are mainly what I watch when I have time to relax or go out. We frequently go to the theater, at least once a month and for IMAX the cost is about $16. One of my favorite things to do on board is watching the movies on lido, we will definitely try the IMAX and love that there is an option for it.

I made a point of going to the IMAX on the Vista's maiden voyage cause "why not?" We saw Batman vs Superman...and while the movie was just meh, I thought the image and sound quality was AMAZING considering it was on a ship. The concession stand was on-point with the options...we actually brought in drinks from another bar though. The pricing was fine as it was a first-run movie...in the middle of the Mediterranean lol.

While on topic, the Thrill theater was hit and miss. The stand-out was the horror-themed one. Although, I would say for its relatively short run-time, it was over-priced.

• 6 months later...

I have a question for those of you who have already sailed the Vista.

Do they post the entire week's schedule of Imax movies/shorts and thrill theater shorts at the beginning of the cruise on one sheet of paper, so you can plan your movie schedule for the whole week at the beginning of your cruise? Do they have copies for people?

Or must you wait for your daily Fun Times to see when and what is playing that day?