So do you think they will change prices for CDN? Since our dollar sucks!

xcell

When the CDN was close to par, they basically gave us (CDN) the price on the website (ie. no conversion).

Now a $4K USD cruise is like a $5K cruise (looking for a family for 4)...you think they would change prices???

I just cancelled and rebooked my cruise because of the promotion and yes the difference was large in comparison. It was listed around $4700U.S on ncl's website but through my travel agent the price was $5550CAD. It's sad that just a year ago we were able to book at comparable prices. Our dollar really sucks right now.

At par would be great but Norwegian's set exchange rate isn't bad compared to what the real exchange rate is right now. I have my cruises invoiced to me in Cdn $ and I think the exchange rate is about $1.07-1.09. Compared to the $1.26 I just paid to buy some US $ for an upcoming cruise, that rate feels like a bargain.

At par would be great but Norwegian's set exchange rate isn't bad compared to what the real exchange rate is right now. I have my cruises invoiced to me in Cdn $ and I think the exchange rate is about $1.07-1.09. Compared to the $1.26 I just paid to buy some US $ for an upcoming cruise, that rate feels like a bargain.

ITA, I just booked our Star cruise earlier this month, the website quoted one price and I paid about $400 more through my Canadian TA. It's for a suite for 4 people, so I was pleased with the exchange rate.

So what your saying is that NCL has their own exchange rate and I should call them to find out what everything is in CDN?

I wonder why they dont do it like RCCL - book in either USD or CDN on their websites.

Yes, not sure why the option isn't available online (other than that the website isn't the most user friendly on the best of days), but if you talk to one of the PCCs They will charge you in Canadian dollars. The poor exchange rate is also why I've been adding a bunch of gift cards to my account in advance of the trips instead of paying it all off at the end. I have a fairly good idea what I'll be spending onboard and it's cheaper to add a few hundred dollars worth of gift cards charged at the NCL exchange rate of 1.07-1.09 US than it is to put it on my Canadian credit card and pay the currently daily exchange rate (closer to 1.25) AND the 2.5% conversion fee the card company adds on top of that. If there are any charges over and above the amount I've prepaid, I'll use my US currency Visa card... Will still have the horrible exchange rate, but not the additional conversion fee. If you have a realistic idea of how much you'll be spending onboard prepaying is the way to go. The trick is to use "Price is Right" rules... Closest without going over (prepaying too much so they owe you). :)

I cancelled and rebooked because I had originally booked directly through NCL's website and so was paying in US$$. With the rate of exchange now and my balance due mid March it was worth it to rebook through my travel agent in CAD and get all 3 of the promo's. I think it ends up being $1000 to my credit in the end.

I cancelled and rebooked because I had originally booked directly through NCL's website and so was paying in US$$. With the rate of exchange now and my balance due mid March it was worth it to rebook through my travel agent in CAD and get all 3 of the promo's. I think it ends up being $1000 to my credit in the end.

I just paid my final balance and I paid in Cad at the rate when I booked in November last year, i.e., much better conversion rate than right now. I must have asked for it to be converted at the time of booking or perhaps it was offered. Must remember and do this with future bookings. :p:p:p

I just bought $1000 OBC for our upcoming cruise on the Norwegian Pearl. Cost on my Canadian credit card was $1075.27, which is a much better exchange rate than I would pay through the bank. I asked if any overage could be refunded at the end of the cruise if we don't use the full amount and the answer was yes.

Thanks everyone (I only wish I knew this sooner).

I just called NCL to have them price out my cruise in Cdn. dollars.

If my math is right, their internal conversion was about at 16% ($3948 US if I book online vs. $4590 Cdn if I call them and book it over the phone).

Just called RBC to get a rough estimate of what the conversion would look like if I were to do it today, and the $3948 US would be about $5050 Cdn (26.89%), so over a $500 savings to book thru NCL in Cdn dollars.

Not sure I see the Cdn. dollar going up in the next 12 months (and in the Globe & Mail this morning, there was a report that Goldman Sachs is predicting a 71 cent dollar).

Think I might be calling my US based travel agent to cancel my reservation and I'll rebook myself thru NCL. Apparently because they are based in the US, they were/are unable to book the cruise in Cdn dollars for me.

I'm glad this conversation happened too, I hadn't thought of buying gift certificates to use towards our onboard account. Can someone verify that you can use gift certificates to pay the DSC? That's easy enough to calculate ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some excellent ideas from the last 4-5 posters and well worth while. We booked our Alaska & Pacific Coastal almost 12 months ago and we saved a ton buy doing that.

But getting back to the original thought of this post; why would any company consider reducing their prices for merchandise for a rather small percentage of customers ?

Companies are in business to make money, not subsidize a small group of customers. Lets hope they change their name to Norwegian Charity Line...NOT !

I really do fail to understand the thought process used to even think about asking a question like that in CC.

Doesn't even qualify as wishful thinking, just illogical. jmho

cheers...the Ump...:D

I just purchased $200 of on board credit for $215 after reading this thread. Just go to NCL.com and log into your reservation and select it from gifts. What a deal. What if you buy too much onboard credit...wonder if they would give you cash back...hmmmm...:cool:

I'm glad this conversation happened too' date=' I hadn't thought of buying gift certificates to use towards our onboard account. Can someone verify that you can use gift certificates to pay the DSC? That's easy enough to calculate ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/quote']

You can just pre-pay your DSC now, at the reduced exchange rate. This what I did. Bought my shore excursions, pre-paid DSC, and bought enough OBC to cover our drinks and specialty dining. Ended up with a bill of $30 at the end of the cruise.

I just purchased $200 of on board credit for $215 after reading this thread. Just go to NCL.com and log into your reservation and select it from gifts. What a deal. What if you buy too much onboard credit...wonder if they would give you cash back...hmmmm...:cool:are you logged in NCL.com or some other web site. cam't find it CDN$

Harvey

I just purchased $200 of on board credit for $215 after reading this thread. Just go to NCL.com and log into your reservation and select it from gifts. What a deal. What if you buy too much onboard credit...wonder if they would give you cash back...hmmmm...:cool:

When I go and look at purchasing it is in CAD dollars already :) So if I purchase $1000 then what will be charged to my credit card...I could have a good deal here !! I know our trip was paid for in CAD dollars as our our service charges when I look online on My NCL.

Can someone confirm before I hit the buy button, that I will only be charged $1000 to my credit card .

thanks

Sue

Edited by huggs

Thanks for the tip. i tried what you said about logging in, but unfortunaetly i couldn't do it. does it show up automaticallyin CDN$. I didn't book my cruise through NCL but through an US T/A. Does this matter.

Edited by hbe

Thanks for the tip. i tried what you said about logging in, but unfortunaetly i couldn't do it. does it show up automaticallyin CDN$. I didn't book my cruise through NCL but through an US T/A. Does this matter.

As I posted above, my US based TA advised that NCL did not give them the option to book in any currency other than USD.

They apologized for losing my business, but encouraged me to cancel my reservation with them and book directly over the phone with NCL to save the (about) 10% on the exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Maddysdaddy

Looks like I got lucky. We booked an oceanview last September for $1,838.00 (billed in $CDN from Expedia.ca) for the 19 day trip. Looks like it has gone up by around $500.00 (well over $600.00 $U.S.). We don't spend a lot of money on board, so the current exchange rate is worrysome, but not ominous.