Booked Regal- new to Princess

oceanseagle12

Hello Princess board! Booked on the Princess Regal, for our first time with Princess. Previous cruises have been on Carnival and NCL. We've sailed their newer ships- the Carnival Dream and Breeze, and the Norwegian Epic and Breakaway.

I'm excited to try Princess! Would love to hear about things that may be unique to the line or Regal itself, or different from the other two that may be a surprise. Especially interested in hearing from anyone who had been on Regal and any of the ships I named.

I can't compare the Regal to the other ships for you as I haven't sailed those other lines. But I can say we sailed the Regal in November and loved her. She is a beautiful elegant ship.

We found the food to be very good. The buffet restaurant (Horizon Court) was the best buffet set up of any ship we have sailed on. It's laid out well so we never had lines for anything and there is tons of seating so even at busy times we had no trouble getting a table.

You must eat at Alfredo's, the free pizza place in the Piaza. Their pizza is really good. You must try the International Cafe, also free and in the Piaza. They have all kinds of salads, sandwiches, soup, desserts etc. Open 24 hours.

Movies under the stars, or MUTS is fun. Watch a newer release movie on the top deck of the ship on a giant screen. Have some popcorn, or maybe they'll bring you milk and cookies. We have also had them bring us a piece of pizza.

The Piaza has different entertainers off and on all day long. It's always a good place to sit and people watch.

We found the entertainment in the Princess Theatre to be good, especially the show "Fiera".

Cabins are nice, staff is great.

Loved the Regal.

Have a great cruise.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/review.cfm?ShipID=679

Over one hundred reviews to choose from.

Oh trust me, I am an active CC member and contributor, and researcher. I read some before making a final decision, and just finished reading the "live from Regal thread." I just thought people may have specific insight for someone who has been on several cruise but is new to Princess.

Hello Princess board! Booked on the Princess Regal, for our first time with Princess. Previous cruises have been on Carnival and NCL. We've sailed their newer ships- the Carnival Dream and Breeze, and the Norwegian Epic and Breakaway.

I'm excited to try Princess! Would love to hear about things that may be unique to the line or Regal itself, or different from the other two that may be a surprise. Especially interested in hearing from anyone who had been on Regal and any of the ships I named.

If any one traveling was in the military, There is a on board credit.

http://www.princess.com/military_benefit_program/#.VMWsDdLF-So

Cruise Length Amount

14 days or longer $250 per qualified passenger

7 - 13 days $100 per qualified passenger

6 days or less $50 per qualified passenger

One thing that is unique to these ships as far as I have seen, is the large flat screen TV's and large amount of on demand programs and recent movies. We watched four movies on our seven day cruise along with several hilarious episodes of the Big Bang Theory.

And yes, the food, the entertainment, the Piazza, etc. We love this ship! :D

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We were FTPC on Dec 7, 2014. Took a 7 Day cruise on Emerald and had a great time. We had sailed on DCL twice. Thoughly enjoyed the service, food entertainment, and the passengers.

We liked it so much we have booked a 10 day cruise on the Royal Princess in Nov.

Edited by Beermam42

Thanks everyone. Beermam- it took me a minute to figure out FTPC= first time Princess cruiser. Lol

I'd love to hear more about what you liked with the entertainment. I think this is one thing that NCL does well. When I was trying to decide between Princess and ROyal Carribbean, my sense was that Royal has better entertainment. Encouraged to hear positive opinions on that!

My wife and I are also FTPC....lol After much thought and research and talking to friends who are also cruisers we think Princess will be a good fit. We have booked the Regal for next January and then plan on taking the Royal in September if her itinerary is the same as this year for the Iberian Passage. We are long time HAL cruisers (almost 5 stars) and have never sailed on any other line. Not going to bash HA truth is we both like it but the wife and I think it is time for a change and Princess maybe what we are looking for. I like the size of the Regal and it may fit in where it is not too big nor to small for us. Plus different itineraries that appeal to us.

bob

We enjoyed the food and entertainment on the Regal. It's been years since we've cruised RCCL or NCL, but I think you'll like Princess. The entertainment on Regal was excellent--we loved the Beatlemanics and the production show, Fiera. Don't miss the pizza on Princess--it's fantastic. You can eat at Alfredos for a sit-down version or try the Prego Pizza by the pool. They are different, but both are good. The Regal also has a small aft plunge pool, which has a great view over the wake. Service is also great, and the Piazza is a great place for people watching and enjoying a variety of entertainment throughout the day. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks everyone. Beermam- it took me a minute to figure out FTPC= first time Princess cruiser. Lol

I'd love to hear more about what you liked with the entertainment. I think this is one thing that NCL does well. When I was trying to decide between Princess and ROyal Carribbean, my sense was that Royal has better entertainment. Encouraged to hear positive opinions on that!

Entertaitment for us on board was 180 degree change from a Mouse and his friends who are all Frozen, LOL, to an interactive CD and Asst. We were in Explores every night and it was good, Shows and outside acts were good. Please do get me wrong I have been a big Disney person since 1955. But DGCs were not with us enough. We will be on many ships and Cruise lines in coming years and i am sure Peincess will be included.

Oh trust me, I am an active CC member and contributor, and researcher. I read some before making a final decision, and just finished reading the "live from Regal thread." I just thought people may have specific insight for someone who has been on several cruise but is new to Princess.

Since I've rarely cruised anything but Princess, not a lot to compare to. I would recommend the Winemaker's Dinner, well worth forty bucks. On the other hand, if you've cruised the new NCL ships you should - from what I've heard - expect a come-down in the level of entertainment.

Since I've rarely cruised anything but Princess, not a lot to compare to. I would recommend the Winemaker's Dinner, well worth forty bucks. On the other hand, if you've cruised the new NCL ships you should - from what I've heard - expect a come-down in the level of entertainment.

That was a little bit of a concern, because the entertainment on NCL's newer ships is great. But we do tend to like standup better than the improv that NCL

has. I'm thinking (hoping) that it isn't necessarily better or worse, just different.

I'm sure we will enjoy it regardless- i mean, it is a cruise!