Live from The Sunshine, 1/26/15

psternklar

Well, the food was good, not great. Service and atmosphere were very good. Overall worth the extra $$ but do not expect a tru "steakhouse" meal (i.e. Sparks).

I've never found the Steakhouse on any Carnivl ship to be truly exceptional, like top end steakhouses across the country (Keen's, CUT, Sparks, Cattlemen's, etc.) Rather the meals are along the lines of mid-upper end steakhouse chains, like Ruths Chris or Capital Grille. And none of these franchisees cook for 4-6thousand guests in a year, let alone 3-4 meals a day.

Similarly, MDR food isn't along top Michelin 3 or 4 Star dining, but equivalent to mid-higher end local hotel banquet dining (as opposed to higher end resort stand alone dining rooms).

To expect more, at the price point, is to fantasy world. To deride the food because it isn't up to French Laundry standards is ridiculously snobby.

For many millions in this country, the best sit-down restaurant in town is Applebee's, Red Lobster or Olive Garden. That's the level you need to compare MDR/buffet meals too, not Le Berdardin.

Thanks for the information. We were on the Sunshine last summer, and will be on her again this summer. We enjoyed the steakhouse, and although its not considered upscale in comparison with those on land, it does come close or even better than some steakhouses I have paid premium dollars for.

I am trying to find out what the themes for any adult parties and/or deck parties on the Sunshine. If you could post that, I would really appreciate it. DH and I are going with 2 other couples and all leaving our kids home....and we'd like to be prepared for any themes. Also...any wine/beer/whiskey/etc tastings?

Thank you...

Jess

Good question. Could you please post some of the special "theme" days?

We are a group of fun loving adults that like to have fun and "participate". The usual Island night is a given. Is there any other nights that we could prepare for in advance? How about some of the late night deck party themes? Appreciate it very much. Our cruise is not till early May. Can't wait. Thanks in advance. Enjoying the posts.

I am trying to find out what the themes for any adult parties and/or deck parties on the Sunshine. If you could post that, I would really appreciate it. DH and I are going with 2 other couples and all leaving our kids home....and we'd like to be prepared for any themes. Also...any wine/beer/whiskey/etc tastings?

Thank you...

Jess

Mexican one night, island theme. There was the usual liquor tastings at the shops.

Good question. Could you please post some of the special "theme" days?

We are a group of fun loving adults that like to have fun and "participate". The usual Island night is a given. Is there any other nights that we could prepare for in advance? How about some of the late night deck party themes? Appreciate it very much. Our cruise is not till early May. Can't wait. Thanks in advance. Enjoying the posts.

They may change as Jamie Dee will be leaving the ship.

1st sea day on the Sunshine. I am pleasantly surprised. Service is great, staff super friendly and food is above average. Only 2 bucket seen, no bad smell. The lounges are small but not horribly. The only negative is that the MDR seating is slow. Long line for brunch this am at 9:45. Waited 15 min the went to Lido. This is our 3rd Carnival cruise and so far very happy. Any questions?

My brother and sister in law are on this same sailing with you. They are first time cruisers, hope they are having as much fun as you are!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

My brother and sister in law are on this same sailing with you. They are first time cruisers, hope they are having as much fun as you are!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Hopefully they are. San Juan was fun. Waiting for the 9:30 comedy show now. I wish there was not so many lines for activities and any time dining. I am told on RCCL the shows have tickets to stop the lines. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Hopefully they are. San Juan was fun. Waiting for the 9:30 comedy show now. I wish there was not so many lines for activities and any time dining. I am told on RCCL the shows have tickets to stop the lines. Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know on the Oasis class ships they have the big shows that you have to reserve ahead of time. After they let all ticketed guests in or the show starts, they let anyone else in though.

I'm loving following along! Thanks for the live review. Such a great idea!

What internet package did you purchase? How is the speed? It was so slow on the Dream last year that I rarely used it.

How bad are the anytime dining lines? Dream lines weren't ever longer than 10 or 15 minutes. I don't know if my preschoolers will tolerate any longer than that. ;) We may sign up for early dining, in that case...