Dress code?

Kingofcool1947

Quite so, everyone should look smart when they go for dinner.

Always do as do not get much chance to dress up for dinner at home but these ladies were wearing long glitttery dresses on casual nights and they looked so nice too.

Bit hard to do when on a fly cruise for me so stick to cocktail dresses on casual nights.

Seriously?

You come off as condescending and a snob. Nose up in air, sniff, sniff. :)

Sounds a bit pompous re:" brands of numerous Italian jackets (only Collezione not Armani" and the fabric of your slacks? ? :p

Nothing could be farther from the truth.Any condescension, comes from posters on here that suggest I will look out place if I do not join the crowd on formal evenings .We dined mainly in the buffet and the Beach House, used the MDRs twice but were not over impressed with the food.

Wherever we go we tend to dine late and enjoy light meals, particularly after a day on a Caribbean beach.

I buy all my clothes in the sale, like most pensioners.

I dressed smartly on Ventura, but still got the occasional look from certain quarters but it did not spoil the holiday.

I was just pointing out that being smart does not necessarily mean putting on a dinner suit,which, by the way, I do not possess and I have no intention of purchasing to wear once every 4 or 5 years when I go cruising.

Heckmondwike born and bred where we don't do snobs!!!!

filled in P&O questionnaire re recent oriana cruise. forgot to mention my disappointment re relaxation of dress code in the last year. appalled to see black tie nights code applies only in two bars and main restaurants, and not throughout the public areas of the ship as it used to be. people are now allowed to enter the theatre in polo shirts on black tie nights, no longer even expected to wear lounge suit and tie.

at least Cunard apply the standard still. will P&O be downgrading the dress code to the level of the rest of Carnival US ships or Thompson? Spoke to one of the officers at a party, apparently P&O need to not put off customers by demanding high standards of dress.

Spoke to one of the officers at a party, apparently P&O need to not put off customers by demanding high standards of dress.

Wether we like it or not, this is the way it's going.

The profile of future P&O customers will change over the next few years and P&O are acutely aware of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

filled in P&O questionnaire re recent oriana cruise. forgot to mention my disappointment re relaxation of dress code in the last year. appalled to see black tie nights code applies only in two bars and main restaurants, and not throughout the public areas of the ship as it used to be. people are now allowed to enter the theatre in polo shirts on black tie nights, no longer even expected to wear lounge suit and tie.

at least Cunard apply the standard still. will P&O be downgrading the dress code to the level of the rest of Carnival US ships or Thompson? Spoke to one of the officers at a party, apparently P&O need to not put off customers by demanding high standards of dress.

Well, P&O have a choice, demand a traditional dress code for the whole ship in the evenings and go bust from lack of customers, or allow black tie and evening casual on the ship and hopefully have enough customers to make a profit.

Oriana is one of the most formal P&O ships, perhaps you should not try Oceana, black tie is is required in only the mdr and one small bar.

The controversial bit, it is not 'downgrading' the dress code, it is adapting it to the norms of the sections of society that the cruise line want to attract. Nor is evening casual a 'low' standard of dress. I find it interesting that a lot of the exclusive/expensive cruise lines don't demand that gentlemen wear a uniform in the evening.

What P&O should do is reduce the number of formal evenings on longer cruises. I am just about to depart on a 24 nighter, with 7 black tie evenings, crazy. I can understand one or two being special but 7 -aargh!

I won't even be taking a suit, the space in my case is better occupied by additional shirts etc etc.

Well, P&O have a choice, demand a traditional dress code for the whole ship in the evenings and go bust from lack of customers, or allow black tie and evening casual on the ship and hopefully have enough customers to make a profit.

Oriana is one of the most formal P&O ships, perhaps you should not try Oceana, black tie is is required in only the mdr and one small bar.

The controversial bit, it is not 'downgrading' the dress code, it is adapting it to the norms of the sections of society that the cruise line want to attract. Nor is evening casual a 'low' standard of dress. I find it interesting that a lot of the exclusive/expensive cruise lines don't demand that gentlemen wear a uniform in the evening.

What P&O should do is reduce the number of formal evenings on longer cruises. I am just about to depart on a 24 nighter, with 7 black tie evenings, crazy. I can understand one or two being special but 7 -aargh!

I won't even be taking a suit, the space in my case is better occupied by additional shirts etc etc.

Dave you are still in a minority. The majority of cruisers with P&O expect and follow the dress code.

Sorry that should be Vast Majority.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by daiB

In my experience, Thomson (note the correct spelling)do have a high proportion of people who dress up for formal night. A friend who went on Fred.Olsen's Balmoral said to me that she was surprised to find that less people dressed up for formal nights than on Thomson ships.

Do people on this board have a problem with Thomson? I seem to detect a degree of condescension when Thomson are mentioned ;):D

All I can say is what we feel about the formal dress code. For us it's one of the parts of cruising on a P&O ship that we really like. For us the ship takes on a special ambiance on a formal evening - a special atmosphere.

Okay so some people don't like it - well then they either put up with it an adhere to the dress code or they can dress casually and eat in the buffet or they can look at a different cruise line. It's called Choice!

People talk of formal dress as being outdated and that younger cruisers don't like it. Well I'm a teacher and our 16 year old girls love dressing up for their formal prom evening when they are leaving and the vast majority of the boys who accompany them are wearing dinner jackets! They all look fantastic and they spend a long time planning for their special evening.

What I don't like is to read that some people don't like formal dress - well that's fine - but they want to get rid of it all together so removing choice from people like me.

Those of us who contribute to forums like this are a very small number compared to the number of people on a cruise ship. On all the cruises we've done I've never heard anyone moaning about the formal dress code - and as we know, some people do moan a lot!

All I can say is what we feel about the formal dress code. For us it's one of the parts of cruising on a P&O ship that we really like. For us the ship takes on a special ambiance on a formal evening - a special atmosphere.

Okay so some people don't like it - well then they either put up with it an adhere to the dress code or they can dress casually and eat in the buffet or they can look at a different cruise line. It's called Choice!

People talk of formal dress as being outdated and that younger cruisers don't like it. Well I'm a teacher and our 16 year old girls love dressing up for their formal prom evening when they are leaving and the vast majority of the boys who accompany them are wearing dinner jackets! They all look fantastic and they spend a long time planning for their special evening.

What I don't like is to read that some people don't like formal dress - well that's fine - but they want to get rid of it all together so removing choice from people like me.

Those of us who contribute to forums like this are a very small number compared to the number of people on a cruise ship. On all the cruises we've done I've never heard anyone moaning about the formal dress code - and as we know, some people do moan a lot!

Three thumbs up to that one.

Dave you are still in a minority. The majority of cruisers with P&O expect and follow the dress code.

Sorry that should be Vast Majority.

Dai, you are misrepresenting my position on dress codes again. As you well know I always maintain that all passengers should follow the dress code, as I always do. Nor would I suggest that passengers should flout the dress code.

In my experience, Thomson (note the correct spelling)do have a high proportion of people who dress up for formal night. A friend who went on Fred.Olsen's Balmoral said to me that she was surprised to find that less people dressed up for formal nights than on Thomson ships.

Do people on this board have a problem with Thomson? I seem to detect a degree of condescension when Thomson are mentioned ;):D

Just snobbery Linda ;)

some here might be horrified to know that in some ways Thomson is more traditional than P&O, plus no endless quizzes :p

Dai, you are misrepresenting my position on dress codes again. As you well know I always maintain that all passengers should follow the dress code, as I always do. Nor would I suggest that passengers should flout the dress code.

Dave I was talking about the last three paragraphs, why would P&O want to change the formal nights at all when so many enjoy them.

I know that you do follow the dress code and only use the parts of the ship where casual is accepted when you decide not to wear your DJ.

Three thumbs up to that one.

As Annie wrote, it is about choice and P&O offer that choice. Either dress formally on black tie evenings or dress evening casual and miss out on some of the dining rooms and bars.

You might notice from my signature that i have cruised on Oceana 6 times. In those 6 cruises I have worn dinner jackets and dark suits as well as evening casual. It all depends on the sort of cruise I want and nobody has had a stroke or coronery because i was wearing chinos on formal night, not in the mdr or magnums bar of course.