Dress code?

Kingofcool1947

I have said on many occasions that I am not that bothered what people wear on formal nights only I know that in all of my cruises 95% of men will wear a DJ on formal nights and most of the others will wear a suit. Those not following the dress code are not 10% and never have been. If someone goes on a cruise and does not want to wear formal gear then fine, they restrict themselves for that night.

If someone new asks this question I do not think it is fair to them just to say you will be fine you do not need a suit you can wear casual. I think it is only fair to point out that they may be one of only 20 to 40 on a ship of 2000 who are not dressed for the night. If they know that and can cope with it then fine have a great cruise. But I don't want any one to go cruising and feel uncomfortable because they did not know how few people would not be dressed.

That has always been my line on this. I make no judge ten about what people wear.

BTW Tarquin I also have a weight problem and after cruising for 13 years and wearing DJ's for longer I now have 4 jackets, of course only one ever fits.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I am glad I am not the only one with a weight problem, Dai. Hence my preference for loose fitting clothes on formal nights. At 72 my only lounge suit is a bit too heavy for summer wear.

Despite my preference for smart casual, I would never wear jeans on a formal night(my wife thinks I look ridiculous in jeans at my age and shape!!!).

Of the 3000 pax on our ship in the Caribbean 90% did formal on the 1st night, but by 4th night this had fallen somewhat judging by the number of people in the buffet and the waiting time for a table in the Beach House.

Happy Cruising everyone, whatever your take on the dress code.

Its not about whether P&O have got it right, nor whether folk like to dress up, its about the hellfire and damnation levelled at the 10% by the diehards if not in reality then certainly in mind.

From my perspective I'm trying hard to lose weight so a suit worn last week should not fit me in 4 months time. A DJ bought in 4 months time may not fit me next year. Perhaps I can't afford to cruise or perhaps a few folk should show some empathy?;)

Brilliant post!

Its not about whether P&O have got it right, nor whether folk like to dress up, its about the hellfire and damnation levelled at the 10% by the diehards if not in reality then certainly in mind.

From my perspective I'm trying hard to lose weight so a suit worn last week should not fit me in 4 months time. A DJ bought in 4 months time may not fit me next year. Perhaps I can't afford to cruise or perhaps a few folk should show some empathy?;)

To be honest, there's just as much unjust criticism levelled at those who dress up on formal nights, from those who would like all cruise lines to dumb down the dress codes. We regularly see posters who refer to "penguin suits", "living in the past", "outdated" and there was the "Downton theme park" comment.

So long as all customers are aware of what is expected and acceptable, there should be no need for animosity from anyone.

As regards your second comment, I'm with you there. I struggle valiantly for months to lose weight so that I can get into my only tux and find that I can just about fasten my trousers and shirts for the first formal dinner. A few days later, I hope that no-one will notice that my trouser waist button is undone, but hidden by my belt (which is at least two holes further out). My face is red from the strangulation of my dress shirts and I'm hyperventilating all evening until we retire for the night.

However, my wife loves to dress up and always looks amazing and I should support her by doing my very best. I do look good in the photos, but they don't convey the inner struggle to survive the evening.

Last year, we both decided that, for the time being, we had had enough of dressing up, so we chose to cruise to see the Northern Lights with a casual cruise line where pretty much anything is acceptable. It was wonderful to be so comfortable all the time and among fellow passengers who were not giving others the evil eye over their choice of clothing.

When we next cruise with P&O or Cunard, I'll happily (but uncomfortably) go through it all again, as I always have - it's what we do.

To be honest, there's just as much unjust criticism levelled at those who dress up on formal nights, from those who would like all cruise lines to dumb down the dress codes. We regularly see posters who refer to "penguin suits", "living in the past", "outdated" and there was the "Downton theme park" comment.

So long as all customers are aware of what is expected and acceptable, there should be no need for animosity from anyone.

As regards your second comment, I'm with you there. I struggle valiantly for months to lose weight so that I can get into my only tux and find that I can just about fasten my trousers and shirts for the first formal dinner. A few days later, I hope that no-one will notice that my trouser waist button is undone, but hidden by my belt (which is at least two holes further out). My face is red from the strangulation of my dress shirts and I'm hyperventilating all evening until we retire for the night.

However, my wife loves to dress up and always looks amazing and I should support her by doing my very best. I do look good in the photos, but they don't convey the inner struggle to survive the evening.

Last year, we both decided that, for the time being, we had had enough of dressing up, so we chose to cruise to see the Northern Lights with a casual cruise line where pretty much anything is acceptable. It was wonderful to be so comfortable all the time and among fellow passengers who were not giving others the evil eye over their choice of clothing.

When we next cruise with P&O or Cunard, I'll happily (but uncomfortably) go through it all again, as I always have - it's what we do.

Maybe it's time for a new Tux:D, or be like me I've got a couple funnily they're different sizes;),

.... Can't you just get them let out a bit? Or have an elasticated waistband fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One pair of mine have a waist that is self adjustable allowing about 3 inches of variation, great for cruises.

.... Can't you just get them let out a bit? Or have an elasticated waistband fitted?

It would be nearly as cheap to buy a new tux & one of my wardrobes is full of formal and smart clothing of varying sizes. Anyway, we always hope that it's a good enough reason for me to lose the weight I should. I do try hard and did actually succeed when we cruised on Aurora in 2010 - it only became uncomfortable by the last formal night on a 18 day cruise.

We've no more cruises planned for a few years (saving to cruise to Antarctica), so I'll see how the diets go before investing in new clothes.

Maybe it's time for a new Tux:D, or be like me I've got a couple funnily they're different sizes;),

That might be the answer in the end. I have two sizes of most trousers and shirts - but I'd rather lose weight if I can summon up some willpower. I only need to lose about 9lbs. Too much more would mean buying yet another size of trousers.

We take formal wear with us but we don't necessarily dress up for every formal night. We may be happy to go to the buffet or even to stay in and watch a film.

What other people do or don't do, or what other people wear is of no concern to us, as long as the rules are observed. I really don't understand the way some people get so emotional about dress codes. There's no need to accuse those who enjoy dressing for dinner of being snobs or old fashioned and there's no need to insult those who don't want to dress up on a formal night either.

Cruise lines need to appeal to a wide range of people to survive. It seems to me that as long as there are parts of the ship reserved for particular dress codes, and parts where more casual wear is welcomed, then that's fine.

Enforcement of rules is down to the line, and its staff, not to other passengers!

Edited by KaththeTaff

I have said on many occasions that I am not that bothered what people wear on formal nights only I know that in all of my cruises 95% of men will wear a DJ on formal nights and most of the others will wear a suit. Those not following the dress code are not 10% and never have been. If someone goes on a cruise and does not want to wear formal gear then fine, they restrict themselves for that night.

If someone new asks this question I do not think it is fair to them just to say you will be fine you do not need a suit you can wear casual. I think it is only fair to point out that they may be one of only 20 to 40 on a ship of 2000 who are not dressed for the night. If they know that and can cope with it then fine have a great cruise. But I don't want any one to go cruising and feel uncomfortable because they did not know how few people would not be dressed.

That has always been my line on this. I make no judge ten about what people wear.

BTW Tarquin I also have a weight problem and after cruising for 13 years and wearing DJ's for longer I now have 4 jackets, of course only one ever fits.

If you've got a 48" long fitting i'll give you 3 quid for it...:D

If you've got a 48" long fitting i'll give you 3 quid for it...:D

As it happens I could well have ... But short fitting. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback richleeds. I agree with ausbod that using up airline baggage allowance with formal DJ is not feasible for everyone and am disappointed that P&O who are keen on formal nights closed down their hire facility. (Princess cruises however have a marvellous service which worked perfectly for me last year.)

Thanks for the feedback richleeds. I agree with ausbod that using up airline baggage allowance with formal DJ is not feasible for everyone and am disappointed that P&O who are keen on formal nights closed down their hire facility. (Princess cruises however have a marvellous service which worked perfectly for me last year.)

I hope you get sorted with my suggestions and enjoy your cruise.