Strange Question - Getting off the ship in Belize

ItsMeJedB

Hi Friends,

My sister and BIL are going on a two month self-exploration of Mexico and Central America.

They are considering a cruise that stops in Belize and just not getting back on the ship ... telling the ship personnel as they leave.

1) Has anyone done this before?

2) I know people get kicked off or miss the boarding time in a port and are responsible for getting to the next port, but what if they don't go to the next port?

3) Will they have trouble getting out of Belize at the airport to go to the next city?

This is odd, I know - i don't think it is something they should do, but they asked me so I thought I would ask the smartest audience in cruising.

I have heard of passengers doing this here in Belize. The airfare is high to Belize. The people I know have done it were legal residents of Belize. So they are legal to be in the country. To stay in Belize you would have to go immediately to Customs and immigrations to get stamped into the country. If you fail to do this you will have issues trying to exit Belize. If the cruise line is informed they may be able to arrange this.

What Wade said.

I think there are also US Customs and cruise line consequences if they do this. If they originally embark in the US and the cruise is scheduled to return to the US on that itinerary, the cruise is a "closed loop" cruise and certain restrictions apply, per Federal Law. They could be prohibited from leaving the ship if they told guest services about their departure.

If they think this is a way to save money, I doubt it. Fly into Cancun. Rent a car drive down to Chetumal. Take the ferry to San Pedro and then Belize City. Be far cheaper I would suspect.

• 1 month later...