I am in need of Airline horror stories

sblahars

This may sound strange, but I need to hear horror stories from people trying to get to a cruise and the things that go wrong.

This is why. My wife's grandmother is taking everyone on a cruise next summer. We are so greatful and appreciative and are so happy to have her with us. The problem is, she wants to travel the day the cruise leaves, and doesn't want to do the air through the cruise line. There will be approximately 20 people going, and I can't imagine the nightmare it would be if a connection was missed, or if a flight was delayed or even canceled. It would seem impossible to get 20+ people on a later flight.

We will have trip insurance, but even still, if something went wrong, the earliest we would be able to get caught up to the ship would be the 3rd day of the cruise.

I, along with others, have already offered to offset the price by paying the extra cost of flying through the cruiseline, or even by paying for our hotel if we go the night before, but she doesn't want us to do that, she wants to pay for everything.

So I am asking for horror stories to help support my case. Thanks

Back in 2000 our connecting flight was delayed and then the airlines lost our luggage. That meant more time wasted getting the proper forms filled out, etc. We didn't miss the ship but it was very close, the clock in the background of the embarkation photo reads 3:58 for a cruise that departs at 4:00!

Good luck!

John

You don't need horror stories, just a tactful way to point out how absolutely insane and unresponsible the plan is. If anything were to happen, or there was any bad weather, it would really put a damper on what should be a very special and wonderful trip. Maybe get the others together to pay for the extra night in a hotel. Good luck and keep us posted.

Did not happen to me, but to others on my 2nd cruise. There were probably 50 people on our flight that were going to our cruise and at least 10 of those people lost at least one piece of their luggage, including a honeymoon couple that only had the clothes they had worn on the plane. The next flight to the area would not arrive until well after the ship had left. Our 1st day was a sea day so no chance of the luggage catching up then, and our 2nd day was a call at Labadee. We ran into the honeymoon couple on the 3rd day of the cruise and they still had not received their luggage. If it has been people missing the cruise, most likely they would not have been able to catch up with the boat until our 3rd day when we were at Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

I know there is somebody on these boards who entirely missed their cruise on Jewel of the Seas last Christmas because of all the problems USAir had.

I have no horror story to tell, but I do have a suggestion. I don't know which port you are sailing from and where you live, but obviously you have to get there by air.

One way would be for everyone to say they want to visit the port they are sailing from since the "air is paid for" and that they really want to see that city.

another way would be if everyone said they want to throw the "lady paying for the cruise" a thank you party the night before at the hotel and that it would make everyone happy if they were allowed to do that for her since she is being so absoutely generous and of course everyone pays for their night and chips in and pays for her night at the hotel.

I'm leaving today for a sailing tomorrow, just would not take that chance even though there is 4 flights a day and just 2 of us and with trip insurance. Better safe than sorry is my motto.

I hope things work out for you and happy healthy and safe travels.

About 5 years ago we were going transatlantic non-stop from Harwick England to Boston in late August. We had no issues because we spent several days in London prior to boarding the ship. However a large group of passengers traveling on cruise air arrived late without luggage.

Since we were not stopping at any ports, They had two choices: return home or sail for 7 days wearing clothes from the ship stores (shorts and T-shirts) and rented formal wear. HAL give them a credit for their purchases/rentals and free laundry, but for them it was an interesting trip especially when we hit cold weather as we went through a hurricane.

Loved the OP story it makes you able to relate! I was like the OP and had flown only once since 9/11 and everything went fine that time. Then I went on a cruise this January and nothing went right. I still cry thinking of all the misdirection and the help we got.

It started on a Sat morning about 2:30. I get a call from United stating that the flight from Omaha (thats right, dinky little airport) was delayed because of the flight crew getting in late and they needed their rest. So we were going to miss our connecting flight from Chicago to Miami. THere was nothing they could do, but if I was one of the first to arrive then I might get on a different airline and go someplace other than Chicago (big snow storm). So we stand in line at United with all our luggage (nobody at the curb to take it in Omaha) we are the 3rd set in line waiting for the TSA people to come and open EVERY BAG and go through EVERY BAG and then slap a piece of tape on it saying it was inspected. Then we get to the ticket counter and was told that Delta had a flight going to Atlanta and there were 5 tickets available and the TA talked to the Delta TA and Delta said they would honor the tickets. So we start for the Delta line leaving our bags with TSA people (WRONG) they yell at us to come and tell us we have to take our luggage with us. So we go back get our luggage get in line at Delta and wait and wait. Get to TSA for security and they open EVERY piece of luggage (even though the sticker from the prior check is still over the zipper) and go through it. Then we get to the TA for Delta and they tell us they will not honor our transfers from United because they have to take care of other Delta flights. So back to United (oh wait, again we got the call take our luggage with us) so we did and waited in line at United again and again had ALL our luggage opened and inspected and ended up getting our original flight to Chicago. So we got on the plane got to Chicago and a gentleman that was sitting by us called the airline and told us our plane was still there. Yippee. No one told me it was a 2 mile(slight exaggeration) marathon to get from one end of the terminal to the other. I ran ahead of my: aging mother, my aunt, my husband and son who stayed with them and helped them and he also had my carry on. When I say ran I mean ran. Got to the gate and watched them close the doors I yelled and they told me too late once they close the doors thats it. I was hot. literally and figuatively. I was told that plane knew we had just landed, no one could have gotten there any faster than I did when I ran. So I went half way back to the customer service counter and waited in line and got to the front of the line arranged a ticket for Ft Lauderdale that arrives at 5:30. Ship leaves at 5pm. I had called the cruise company immediately upon getting in line. After waiting on hold with the cruise company the whole hour and a half also I was told by the cruise company to take the Ft Lauderdale flight and they would get us to the plane in Jamaica. Half way throught the cruise. Yippee. So we did (oh and by the way) my luggage made it onto the flight and was flying merrily on to Miami. This story did have a mostly happy ending, cruise ship waited for us and representatives met us at Ft Lauderdale. A lot had to do with the fact I was on the phone with RC the entire trip to Miami. That was one of the most streeful ways to start a vacation. We will always now fly in a day or two ahead. Thank you Royal Caribbean for waiting for us. Sad to say our luggage enjoyed a brief holiday in Miami.

I think the poster above is correct, let her know how much you appreciate her generosity by flying in a day early and taking her out for a nice dinner the night before and enjoy a leisurely trip to the cruise ship.

I had flown only once since 9/11 and everything went fine that time. Then I went on a cruise this January and nothing went right. I still cry thinking of it. It started on a Sat morning about 2:30. I get a call from United stating that the flight from Omaha (thats right, dinky little airport) was delayed because of the flight crew was getting in late because of snow delays and they needed their rest. So we were going to miss our connecting flight from Chicago to Miami. THere was nothing they could do, but if I was one of the first to arrive then I might get on a different airline and go someplace other than Chicago (big snow storm). So we stand in line at United with all our luggage (nobody at the curb to take it in Omaha) we are the 3rd set in line waiting for the TSA people to come and open EVERY BAG and go through EVERY BAG and then slap a piece of tape on it saying it was inspected. Then we get to the ticket counter and was told that Delta had a flight going to Atlanta and there were 5 tickets available and the TA talked to the Delta TA and Delta said they would honor the tickets. So we start for the Delta line leaving our bags with TSA people (WRONG) they yell at us to come and tell us we have to take our luggage with us. So we go back get our luggage get in line at Delta and wait and wait. Get to TSA for security and they open EVERY piece of luggage (even though the sticker from the prior check is still over the zipper) and go through it. Then we get to the TA for Delta and they tell us they will not honor our transfers from United because they have to take care of other Delta flights. So back to United (oh wait, again we got the call take our luggage with us) so we did and waited in line at United again and again had ALL our luggage opened and inspected and ended up getting our original flight to Chicago. So we got on the plane got to Chicago and a gentleman that was sitting by us called the airline and told us our plane was still there. Yippee. No one told me it was a 2 mile(slight exaggeration) marathon to get from one end of the terminal to the other. I ran ahead of my: aging mother, my aunt, my husband and son who stayed with them and helped them and he also had my carry on. When I say ran I mean ran. Got to the gate and watched them close the doors I yelled and they told me too late once they close the doors thats it. I was hot. literally and figuatively. I was told that plane knew we had just landed, no one could have gotten there any faster than I did when I ran. So I went half way back to the customer service counter and waited in line and got to the front of the line arranged a ticket for Ft Lauderdale that arrives at 5:30. Ship leaves at 5pm. I had called the cruise company immediately upon getting in line. After waiting on hold with the cruise company the whole hour and a half also I was told by the cruise company to take the Ft Lauderdale flight and they would get us to the plane in Jamaica. Half way throught the cruise. Yippee. So we did (oh and by the way) my luggage made it onto the flight and was flying merrily on to Miami. This story did have a mostly happy ending, cruise ship waited for us and representatives met us at Ft Lauderdale. A lot had to do with the fact I was on the phone with RC the entire trip to Miami. That was one of the most streeful ways to start a vacation. We will always now fly in a day or two ahead. Thank you Royal Caribbean for waiting for us. Sad to say our luggage enjoyed a brief holiday in Miami.

Oh, gosh that's even worse than my January cruise story. So glad you got to cruise. My story is that RCI forgot to book my airplane tickets :eek:. It wasn't completely fixed until about 8 hours before I was supposed to get to the airport. Wonderful cruise made up for it though.

I have two stories. The first was our very first cruise out of Aruba. We had flown in that morning, arranged by the cruise for a sceduled sailing time of 7PM. At 8PM and still tied to the pier, I decided to find out why. Hey - I was a rookie and what did I know? It turned out that there was an entire plane load of ship's passengers that had mechanical problems in Pittsburgh. Lucky for them it was a flight arranged by the cruise and we waited for them - until midnight! :eek: If they had made their own air arrangements they would have been out of luck.

The second story is one that is still a work in progress. I'm leaving for a cruise next month and booked my own air through Delta several months ago. Being the Type A person that I am, I had the best possible connections through Atlanta and the best seats. You know that expression about best laid plans? Uh huh. So far we have had either our flight times or planes changes at least 5 times. And we're not done yet I'm sure. :rolleyes: Thank goodness that we're flying in two days early.

Beth

I haven't missed any cruises due to flights. I learned after my first cruise to 1) always fly in a day early and 2) never book air through the cruiseline unless it is custom air. I have had several minor and a couple major delays when flying. I will pay extra for a direct flight if one is available (very fortunate to live near Houston) to cut back on risk of missed connections or luggage that didn't transfer correctly.

First cruise was 5 years ago. RCCL booked us to leave from Houston at 6 AM to fly to Atlanta. From Atlanta to Miami, and from Miami to San Juan. We had about 4 hours of layover in Atlanta and about 45 minutes in Miami (where we had to run from one end of the airport to the other and back because of a gate change). We finally made it into San Juan around 8 PM for a 10 PM sailaway. If anything had gone wrong, we would have missed the boat. I will never do that again!

I had a problem with United when we flew out of Denver because they canceled our flight and didn't rebook us. I had called before we drove 4 hours to the airport and everything was fine then. When we arrived at the airport, we found out we didn't have a flight. United customer service wouldn't rebook us on another flight because the others were full. They wanted us to pay an upgrade fee and fly standby because they claimed we were notifed that the flight was cancelled and it was our responsibility to call and rebook and we didn't do that. We argued enough that they upgraded our ticket for free so we could fly standby. We ended up waiting about 5 hours before a flight became available. When I got home I checked my e-mail. United had notified us that our flight was canceled via e-mail but the time stamp showed it was sent about 10 minutes before our original flight was scheduled to leave. That was really helpful. :rolleyes:

On a return from San Diego, the plane had mechanical problems. Continental didn't have any other flights to Houston that day and by the time we made it to the customer service desk, others had booked all the seats on the other airlines flying to Houston. We decided to wait for Continental to bring in parts then find another flight crew. We ended up getting to Houston around 2 AM instead of 5 PM, but the flight was nearly empty so we got to spread out and sleep.

In January we had a cruise on the Golden Princess out of San Juan. Well, a snow storm hit the whole east coast that day. Anyone with connecting flights leaving past 10 am EST didnt make them. In fact 300 people missed the ship. If the cruiseline made the air arrangments, they flew them to the next available port 2 days later in Barbados. If the people had insurance they could rearrange their flights and catch up but the people who had no insurance and booked their own flights either missed the ship or paid $$$$$ to catch up.

sblahars-

Please tell us what happens. I am on tender hooks wondering if you talk her into going early. I hope you do so you will have a trip without so much stress. Okay, all my friends say I am hopelessly nosey. But I can't help myself. lol let us know!

Thank you for the lovely compliments, very nice of you to say.

I just got back from our first cruise. I had no problems, flew in a day early, but the people in the next cabin, they were so stressed (I met them on the balcony the day of check-in (embark?) they just made the ship and they drove!!

They were takeing a trip drving up the coast from Calif to Vancouver and they said they didn't judge the boarder wait times and the line wa so long the just barely made the ship and were totally stressed.

Please let us know how it all works out, I too would really like to know.

Just knowing the ship will not wait for you, whether or not you have cruise air is enough for me to fly in the day before. So, don't pay extra for cruise air thinking it will be reassuring and they will wait.

We have always flown a day or two before the cruise, travel is so stressful, you really miss a day of your vacation flying the day of. Just having to be packed and ready, driving to the airport, waiting in lines, worrying about delays. Then, when you arrive, more wait to retrieve your luggage, ride to the port and more lines and waiting to board the ship. With only one delay, your whole cruise can be ruined. I have seen people exhausted from this type of travel and many miss the first nights dinner because they are so tired from travel.

We have also found the airfare is a bit cheaper flying a couple of days before and flying home the day after. I'm never quite ready to get on the plane and get home after a realxing cruise, I want to extend my time a bit.

BTW, purchasing cruise air also does not assure you will all be on the same plane, or even leaving from the same airport. The only time we purchased cruise air, we were not even seated with our children, who were 6 and 9 at the time. Fortunately, a very kind woman switched seats with me so I could sit with the 6 year old. This scenario happened both ways.

Hi there.

I don't have any horror stories But I did as what was said above for our wedding on the EOS in 1/04. I planned pre cruise gathering the night before because I KNEW there are some in my family who would want to risk coming that morning! It's winter in January in OHIO-sure enough there was a large snowstorm and we were lucky to get on our plane at 6am the day before.

It worked out and we had a nice dinner party and it was really fun!!!!

Archived