Splendor - New England/Canada ?

u2harmony

I am thinking of booking the Carnival Splendor out of NYC to New England and Canada in September.

I am a NYer who has transplanted to the Midwest for the past 5 years, so I am very familiar with NYC.

I am wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and if you would recommend it? How is embarkation in NYC? I imagine it would be a bit difficult to manage with luggage. I would probably be staying right in the city and taking a cab to the port and then taking a cab to the airport afterwards too. Is it crazy crowded and stressful, long lines, etc?

The ports of call are Boston, Portland, Maine, St. John and Halifax. Has anyone been to these ports and enjoyed them? Was Boston too busy to get off the ship and enjoy the sights? I just want a lobster roll in Maine and I assume I can get that right at the pier. I am very interested in Canada though and would splurge on excursions for those 2 ports. Any suggestions on what we should see?

We have only been on the Liberty and the Fascination and we LOVE both ships, but I've read good things about the Splendor here.

One last question - We have always booked the GS cabins, but for this trip, which is pricier than most, we are considering an AFT extended balcony on the Empress deck. I've never had that type of room before and wondered if anyone has good things to say about it? I don't care about the room so much, but my husband spends A LOT of time on the balcony so it's important to him and since I like cruising more than he does, I like to keep him happy with his balcony. :)

Really, any advice/suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

My back up idea is Alaska in August, but I really hate the Tuesday to Tuesday itinerary. Too complicated with work schedules.

I am thinking of booking the Carnival Splendor out of NYC to New England and Canada in September.

I am a NYer who has transplanted to the Midwest for the past 5 years, so I am very familiar with NYC.

I am wondering if anyone has done this itinerary and if you would recommend it? How is embarkation in NYC? I imagine it would be a bit difficult to manage with luggage. I would probably be staying right in the city and taking a cab to the port and then taking a cab to the airport afterwards too. Is it crazy crowded and stressful, long lines, etc?

The ports of call are Boston, Portland, Maine, St. John and Halifax. Has anyone been to these ports and enjoyed them? Was Boston too busy to get off the ship and enjoy the sights? I just want a lobster roll in Maine and I assume I can get that right at the pier. I am very interested in Canada though and would splurge on excursions for those 2 ports. Any suggestions on what we should see?

We have only been on the Liberty and the Fascination and we LOVE both ships, but I've read good things about the Splendor here.

One last question - We have always booked the GS cabins, but for this trip, which is pricier than most, we are considering an AFT extended balcony on the Empress deck. I've never had that type of room before and wondered if anyone has good things to say about it? I don't care about the room so much, but my husband spends A LOT of time on the balcony so it's important to him and since I like cruising more than he does, I like to keep him happy with his balcony. :)

My back up idea is Alaska in August, but I really hate the Tuesday to Tuesday itinerary. Too complicated with work schedules.

We did this cruise last Sept and have booked it again for this Sept. You will have no problem in the ports. For Boston, you need to take a cab to get into the center of town. Easy enough right outside the port. Portland and St John you walk off the ship into the town. Halifax is a short walk to the town.

In Boston we did the historical walking tour. And if NOT Monday, you can get on the USS Constitution.

Port of NY is easy to deal with. We drove in and parked at the pier. Not cheap but VERY convenient. Lines are no different than any other cruise ship. The Splendor is in the same class as the Liberty, Freedom, and Conquest.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but can one board this cruise in Boston (where we live) instead of NYC? We would love this cruise but really don't want to spend a port day in the city that we work in!

There was a couple who we were with that lived in Boston and went to NYC to board. So, no, I don't think you can. But call Carnival and ask. All they can say is no.

So in Boston, just stay on the ship and enjoy the peace and quiet :)

The Splendor is in the same class as the Liberty, Freedom, and Conquest.

no it's not. splendor is literally 'in a class of her own' - the only ship of the splendor class, originally slated for costa but transferred to carnival. while splendor is very similar to conquest class ships like the ones you noted, there are differences, especially notable at the lido mid and aft pools and spa areas among other differences.

no it's not. splendor is literally 'in a class of her own' - the only ship of the splendor class, originally slated for costa but transferred to carnival. while splendor is very similar to conquest class ships like the ones you noted, there are differences, especially notable at the lido mid and aft pools and spa areas among other differences.

Thanks for the correction.

Not trying to hijack the OP's thread but can one board this cruise in Boston (where we live) instead of NYC? We would love this cruise but really don't want to spend a port day in the city that we work in!

technically no they won't typically allow that (though i won't say it doesn't happen). it would be a violation of the PVSA as in that case, it would not be a closed loop cruise and you would be transported between two US ports during the cruise. that would be subject to a 300.00 per person fine. carnival seems to have cracked down on this in the past year or two, in regards to allowing people even to 'catch up' with the ship at the next port if pax miss embarkation at the port of departure, especially in cases where that next port is also a US port as it is in this case.

if haven't done this itinerary, but have embarked splendor in new york. it's pretty much the same as any other port in terms of getting on the ship - you check luggage by the front door, make it inside, check in and get on the ship just like any other port :)

splendor will be most similar to liberty in terms of the ships you've been on. most of the general layout is similar. the mid ship pool with big screen etc. is more akin to the lido areas on the new dream class builds - a flat surface in a 2 story area with the retractable roof for inclement weather, as apposed to the open air stadium-seating type setup of the conquest class. the aft pool area too is different, in that it's open air and not all glassed in on either side like on the conquest class ships. the decor is a bit peculiar but i guess it grows on you - all in all i enjoyed the splendor.

the aft extended balconies are pretty nice - the balconies are larger than normal balconies, and the view of the wake is a nice view. also keep in mind that prices may drop - i was watching some of the canada sailings this year and they did end up being pretty variable. you just might be able to upgrade to that GS gratis or for a reasonable price later on if prices drop :)

I did a similar itinerary on Disney when the Magic went out of NYC. We went in July, and at nights it was verrryyyy cold. We had a balcony, and night it was very cold so we barely used it. It might be better in August, but there was a very limited number of activities on deck because everyone was mainly inside. As for the ports, they are awesome! Both have fun cultural kind of excursions and great food if you're interested.

I have also done the Splendor out of New York, and I must say that I HATE embarking in New York. Long lines, every time and every line I choose. But the Splendor is, in my opinion, the best ship in Carnival's fleet. Bigger rooms, and the enclosed pool area is great when leaving out of New York.

Edited by hhalliv

We did this cruise on the Glory and will be going again in Oct. on the Splendor. We loved the ports. First cruise that I wanted to get off at each port to do things. (Visited with family in Boston) We have many more things we want to do on this next cruise.

We had a balcony room and did use it many days. Some cool evenings for us. Guess we were luckly with weather. Of course it depends on what you are use to as we had light sweaters on and others had heavy coats.

We did this cruise on the Glory and will be going again in Oct. on the Splendor. We loved the ports. First cruise that I wanted to get off at each port to do things. (Visited with family in Boston) We have many more things we want to do on this next cruise.

We had a balcony room and did use it many days. Some cool evenings for us. Guess we were luckly with weather. Of course it depends on what you are use to as we had light sweaters on and others had heavy coats.

Well as a penguin, you are used to the cold....

sorry, couldn't resist :)

Some cool evenings for us. Guess we were luckly with weather. Of course it depends on what you are use to as we had light sweaters on and others had heavy coats.

Well as a penguin, you are used to the cold....

sorry, couldn't resist :)

LOL thanks for the laugh :)

Hi there: I live 20 mins. away from N.Y so I am ahead of the game I have sailed on the Glory and last June the Splendor from New York. I left my home in New Jersey just after 10 a.m and got to the ship and was amazed at how quick and smooth boarding was. I barely had time to sit down and I was called for boarding one great thing was this time I was able to do my sign and sail account right at check in. You will love this ship,

My family did this cruise last September and loved it. We had fantasic weather all week and loved the ship. I don't know how many are in your group but we hired a guy in St. John for a private tour and it was great. it was a 5 to 6 hour tour but he took us everywhere and was inexpensive. His vans only hold 6 people but personally 6 was tight. I would only recommend 5 adults to 1 van. the name is Roy's Tours.