Book or wait?

Orygungirl

I keep second guessing myself. A friend and I are doing a cruise to Alaska in July. I have held off on booking now since neither of us drink much and we actually enjoy the main dining rooms, so the UDP and dining aren't a real draw for us. the onboard credit isn't that much, either.

Am I being naive to think that the price per person will drop for a balcony when these promotions are finished? I see the next promotion is friends and family sail free, but it is just the two of us.

It seemed that the price for all the promotions must come from somewhere, and I figured it came at the expense of the per person price. But the same would be true of the next promotion.

Any advice from you experienced cruisers:confused:? Or do I just take my chances?

I keep second guessing myself. A friend and I are doing a cruise to Alaska in July. I have held off on booking now since neither of us drink much and we actually enjoy the main dining rooms, so the UDP and dining aren't a real draw for us. the onboard credit isn't that much, either.

Am I being naive to think that the price per person will drop for a balcony when these promotions are finished? I see the next promotion is friends and family sail free, but it is just the two of us.

It seemed that the price for all the promotions must come from somewhere, and I figured it came at the expense of the per person price. But the same would be true of the next promotion.

Any advice from you experienced cruisers:confused:? Or do I just take my chances?

As long as you are not yet in the penalty period (varies with category of accommodations), there is no harm to booking the "best possible deal" now, and IF there is a "better deal" later, just change it - taking into account all promos/perks/OBC/etc.

The only difficulty with this decision is for whenever there WILL be a penalty to make a change.

GeezerCouple

I always book late...within 60 days of sailing. Prices have always gone up after I booked. However this time, I booked around 45 days out, and then the price started to drop...and then it dropped some more...and then it dropped some more. I was able to get upgraded to a mini suite, but I think I would have preferred to save a few bucks. Long story short, you never know. Once you've passed the final payment date, you usually can't get any more back, but you might be able to be upgraded.

You might do a 24 hour courtesy hold on the website on the 31st of January with the current promotion, and see what the pricing has done the next day.

With the courtesy hold it just goes away the next day if you don't return to do the payment/deposit.

Still not happy with that pricing, you might choose one or the other and still book the cruise. Since you'll just be doing the deposit when booking that is totally refundable right up until final payment time....but will lock you in should the prices for some reason go up instead of coming down. Plus you'll have the best cabin selection now, instead of waiting.

Continue watching pricing and promotions right up until final payment time (usually 75 days before the cruise). If you see a lower fare or better promotion for you call and they'll cancel the current reservation and make a new one anytime before final payment.

After final payment continue watching pricing, should you see a higher category come down in price you can call and pay the difference after final payment and move up. As long as you are giving some more $ they don't seem to have any issues with you moving up.

Alaska in July is high season. I'd book. I think it's more likely that the balcony cabins will sell out vs experience a price drop. Like others said if Freestyle choice ends before your cancellation date & the price drops you have options but if the balcony cabins sell out, what are you going to do?

I would book now especially since it is only a $250pp fully refundable deposit. Like other posters said you have plenty of time to change your booking without a penalty. Last July I was watching prices to see if they would go down for a last minute cruise and they never did. July is a busy season. You have nothing to lose, BOOK!

I am totally in the "book now" camp. You lose nothing, and if there's a price drop later (before final payment), you can always give up the promos to get it. Plus, the sooner you book, the more choices you'll have in terms of cabin selection. I'm guessing that for an Alaska cruise in July it's already on the late side.

Wow. Thanks for all the input. For some reason I never got that you could cancel without losing your deposit. I thought you lost it no matter what. I am leaning towards booking it. Now to talk to my friend. :D

Read the cancellation deadlines and penalties information VERY carefully, so you know exactly when you risk penalties, and how much it would be.

The deadlines vary by cabin category, so make sure you find the dates for your own situation.

Once you've booked and paid the initial deposit, there will be a chart on your confirmation document stating all of the dates and percentages.

Not surprisingly, NCL is typically NOT flexible with these, so make sure you keep track.

Then you can keep watching, and there is no limit for the number of times you can make changes, if you find that the total amount is "better" with a new promo.

Once you are in the penalty phase, the above is no longer okay.

IF you notice a "better deal" then, the best you can do is call NCL and ask nicely ;) if they can give you some adjustment. If so, it might be extra OBC, or even an upgrade.

Also, note that in some other countries (other than the , where you are), if I understand correctly, it IS the case that the initial deposit is non-refundable, so the above strategy might not work.

GeezerCouple

Actually went through a popular warehouse club and saved more than the onboard credit I could have gotten otherwise, :D and got the cabin I was hoping for. Now to keep an eye on prices. Thanks all for the advice. It's nice to just have it.

Actually went through a popular warehouse club and saved more than the onboard credit I could have gotten otherwise, :D and got the cabin I was hoping for. Now to keep an eye on prices. Thanks all for the advice. It's nice to just have it.

Have a wonderful cruise...

Remember going through a travel agent you will need to go back to them to do any changes or adjustments to the reservation. There are some TA's out there who charge a fee for each change made, so make sure you know those up front if they charge them.

Some TA's also don't want to deal with price changes, and helping you move up.........and some are wonderful with that.

Just remember that since you booked with a travel agent Norwegian won't be able to discuss the pricing or adjust the reservation at all since the travel agent owns the booking. This is where booking directly with the cruise line is nice, so you have control and cut out the middleman.

A good travel agent will help you save money and find the best cabins and be of great help, but there are many places that are just there to get you booked and then become hard to contact after that if you have follow up questions or concerns.

I usually book late, but there are exceptions........ e.g. Alaska, balcony, prime season. My experience is you're not going to get a real bargain on that combination regardless of when you book. Prices are unlikely to go any lower, and balconies will sell out before you know it.