Food on Rhine River cruises

newcruisercw

Thanks Brian...I can't wait to see Strasbourg and the Black Forest! In Bopard was there an alternate excursion? I like wine, but not much into tastings, is there anything to see or do if we were to stay in town?

There is a chair lift that takes you up for a nice view of the valley/river. A nice town to walk and shop. Wasn't one of my favorite stops but plenty to do I think. On our cruise the castle and wine tasting was the main event of the day with a guided walking tour of Boppard.

Thanks....I love nice towns where I can sit and watch the people......and shop...and the chair lift has possibilities.

Actually, Schloss Vollrads and the chair lift are out of Rudesheim. The Schloss was sort of interesting to us, but we found the explanation of the three wines we tasted, one in each of three different rooms, was way too long. We did like 2 of the 3 wines. Looking back on it, I probably would have enjoyed more the chair lift over the vineyards and the walk back to town, which is quaint with lots of shops, where we did buy a few things. It has an interesting wine museum; we just looked at the very old wine presses & other equipment on display outside.

Boppard is another pleasant small town with a nice esplanade along the Rhine between the town the river boat docks. We had no excursions offered from there but had a pleasant afternoon looking around and were docked there overnight. There is also a bike path for anyone so inclined.

Actually, Schloss Vollrads and the chair lift are out of Rudesheim. The Schloss was sort of interesting to us, but we found the explanation of the three wines we tasted, one in each of three different rooms, was way too long. We did like 2 of the 3 wines. Looking back on it, I probably would have enjoyed more the chair lift over the vineyards and the walk back to town, which is quaint with lots of shops, where we did buy a few things. It has an interesting wine museum; we just looked at the very old wine presses & other equipment on display outside.

Boppard is another pleasant small town with a nice esplanade along the Rhine between the town the river boat docks. We had no excursions offered from there but had a pleasant afternoon looking around and were docked there overnight. There is also a bike path for anyone so inclined.

We took the chair lift in Rudesheim up to the monument, which I understand is now undergoing renovation and repairs. It was lovely...we tasted wine on the walk back through town from vendors who were set up on both sides of the street...that's where I first tasted Eis wine and fell in love with it! We didn't have a winery option only the gondola or the Musikkabinet, which I heard was also very interesting and I would go to if I were there again.

i just read your suggestions above…they were really helpful to us...we are cruising the Rhine in late March on viking ( i like their house wine, but what do i know?) and i will be on amazon today looking for the castle book!

thanks again for the great tips. safe travels….

Thanks Brian....I think we have our trips mixed up. The one your describing sounds like Castles on the Rhine, which was our first river cruise and we went from Amsterdam to Budapest. This will be our third time in Amsterdam and I'm looking forward to finally going to the Rijks. Then it goes to Cologne, Cochem, Issel, Trier, Bernkastel, Boppard, Strasbourg, Breisach and Basel, so I'm looking for info about those ports, if you've done them. I do have mobility issues so I'm glad I already did Cologne, Heidelburg and Rudesheim. My DH will share your pain over the $200 worth of vinegar....I spent $75 for a bottle of Eis wine in Rudesheim and even HE doesn't know exactly what I paid for the cuckoo clock!! :D

Hello Hydrokitty,

We will be on a river cruise from Budapest to Luxembourg this June and I am looking for a cuckoo clock. Can I ask where you got yours and the price range? Also did they send it home for you. Thanks

Jane

Hello Hydrokitty,

We will be on a river cruise from Budapest to Luxembourg this June and I am looking for a cuckoo clock. Can I ask where you got yours and the price range? Also did they send it home for you. Thanks

Jane

I'm pretty sure I bought mine in Wertheim....we stopped so many places, but I remember telling our TM that I was NOT going on the walking tour because I needed some retail therapy and shopping! So he gave me a map (which I still have but it doesn't list the name of the shop) and I stayed with the group until we got to the shop he recommended. As for cost, it all depends on what type of clock you buy. If it's pendulum operated figure $500 if it's battery operated figure less, and of course how ornately carved and decorated it is. Even the battery ones have pendulums so you can have one of each side by side and not tell the difference, except for the price, some of them look that much alike. Mine was around $450 (but I do remember seeing them for much less) and it's battery operated since I already had a pendulum operated one that was a gift. They shipped it and it arrived about a week after we got home. I don't remember how much shipping was, but it wasn't cheap! This shop was quite an upscale souveneir shop and I bought steins and Christmas ornaments and lots of other stuff....of course when you buy one expensive item to ship, you can add everything else in the box with it! I don't have any record of the name of the shop, but I remember it was near the dock and I was in there all morning before joining my husband to walk around with him in the afternoon.