Pink Sand Beaches

lszu

I'm sure I've seen this somewhere, but can't find it.

Is there a pink sand beach between Crystal Caves and the Dockyards? We plan on doing the Crystal Caves and would love to stop at a pink sand beach on our way back to the ship. We're docked at Kings Wharf.

TIA!

Is there a pink sand beach between Crystal Caves and the Dockyards? We plan on doing the Crystal Caves and would love to stop at a pink sand beach on our way back to the ship. We're docked at Kings Wharf.

It depends on how you are travelling to the Caves. If you take the ferry to Hamilton and the #10/11 bus to the Caves then there are no pink sand beaches en route. If you're taking a scooter from Dockyard (Kings Wharf) to the Caves you will pass by practically every pink sand beach in Bermuda if you take South Road.

Thanks, guys.

Swizzle - We haven't really decided yet. May do the scooters. DH and I both have motorcycle licenses, although if we rent one, we'll get a double and he can drive.

I've never really considered North Shore beaches to be "pink" since they are definately not as pink as beaches on the South Shore but I guess that is just splitting hairs.

One beach that is definately not pink is Snorkel Park as their sand was dredged up (that's why there are more bits of shell .etc than other Bermuda beaches). I was talking with the owner once about the sand and he chuckled when telling me some tourists still collect some of it in plastic bags even though the sand isn't pink.

I figure some people just like collecting sand from any beach they've been on as a souvenir. :cool:

Good information to know about Snorkel beach.

Well posters here kept saying that you needed water shoes at Snorkel Park, which I thought was odd since you wouldn't need water shoes at other beaches. When I went there myself I realized it was true, the sand was uncomfortable to walk on, so I asked the owner about why the sand was so different. He said he wasn't allowed to take sand from the other beaches when developing Snorkel Park so he had to dredge it from sandy areas near the reefs.

Pretty much all of the beaches in Bermuda have pink sand, but some more so than others.

I take that back. I went and looked at a few beaches, and some have no pink whatsoever, even the natural ones. If you want pink beaches, the ones on the south shore are a sure bet.

Horshoe Bay and John Smiths Bay -- definitely my pick for must see beaches in Bermuda.

As for Snorkel Park, the sand there may never get real fine. The reason the sand is so soft and fine along the south shore is that the shells get broken up by hitting the reefs....so by the time it settles at the beach it is so fine and pink.

Horshoe Bay and John Smiths Bay -- definitely my pick for must see beaches in Bermuda.

As for Snorkel Park, the sand there may never get real fine. The reason the sand is so soft and fine along the south shore is that the shells get broken up by hitting the reefs....so by the time it settles at the beach it is so fine and pink.

Just returned from The Radisson Navigator last week and this time we went to Elbow Beach- it was empty so I have these beautiful pics of the pink sand.

Then we went to also empty Tobacco Bay (we were the only ship in SG and with aboujt 400+ passengers, mostly elderly, it was only us, the cruise director, band and entertainers on the beach). No pink sand here however, but great snorkeling.

Also got to see the empty Snorkel Park as we took the ferry to KW when there was no ship in port on a Sat.

Archived