Vista Connectivity

billf0401

The upgrades have already been installed on the Carnival Freedom and Carnival Breeze. They will be rolled out to the rest of the fleet over time. Certainly, the Vista will have them.

However, with that said, you probably won't get the full advantage of the new system until the ship gets to the Caribbean. The most important aspect of the new system is that Carnival has installed (and is continuing to install) land stations throughout the Caribbean and Mexico that will allow the ship to get its Internet connection from a land-based tower rather than from a satellite.

I don't know if there's a plan to ever have these land-based towers throughout the Mediterranean. Certainly, on the TransAtlantic voyage... you're out of luck! But I know that they've already got some up and running throughout the Caribbean and I'm pretty sure the plan is to add even more over time.

I'll be cruising on the Carnival Freedom soon and will be posting a full report in the Carnival Forum here on Cruise Critic regarding EXACTLY how fast the Internet connection is... with statistics provided by SpeedTest.net

I've seen various posts from people on the Freedom and Breeze the last month or two who have said that it's fast... but that's really subjective. None of the posts I've seen have quantified it with numbers from SpeedTest.net

I plan to rectify that.

Also, I've recently sailed on Norwegian Getaway and Allure Of The Seas... both of which have new systems designed to improve connectivity... so I'll be comparing and contrasting those systems to the new system installed on Carnival Freedom.

Edited by Spaniel Lover

We were on the Breeze for a NYE cruise and tried the program. There are two packages, the cheaper is good for posting emails and such the more expensive is faster, but truth be told I was a little disappointed (in the speed).