Dawn to Bermuda vs Breakaway

baflagg

Planning to book the Dawn today to Boston/Bermuda for July cruise. For those that have been on both the Dawn and Breakaway, will we be disappointed with the Dawn vs Breakaway. I know they are two totally different ships but not sure if we will be disappointed with the Dawn.

We cruised to Bermuda on the Breakaway two summers ago and my husband and I are going in May for our anniversary cruise.

Decided to take a second cruise in July with our daughter (8) and mother-in-law and were thinking of the Dawn just for a change and to have a close commute to the pier. We live in MA so usually sail out of NY.

We went on the Jewel about 5 years ago and had a great time and I think these two ships are similar.

My daughter loves going to the kids club at night. Usually after spending the day at the pool and having dinner she wants nothing to do with us. She's very outgoing and always makes friends. Do they have the Sponge Bob themed activities on the Dawn?

How are the shows at night? Are there any that are family friendly?

Should we maybe consider the Gem? The destination really makes no difference to us we'd be happy either in Bermuda or Bahamas/FL.

Maybe we should just go on the Breakaway again? Sorry for the rambling message, I'm just undecided and need some input from those that have been on both the Dawn and Breakaway.

Thanks always for your input, I get a lot of useful information on these boards.

Edited by baflagg

Bermuda itineraries are different than most because the destination is more of the attraction than the ship itself. In both cases, Dawn or Breakaway, you will be spending large amounts of time on shore, so ship activities take a bit less importance. Both offer great dining and decent entertainment. Breakaway has a slight edge because it has more venues to offer.

In my opinion, either ship should suit you fine in Bermuda, and you certainly won't be disappointed with the Dawn should you choose her. Cruising out of Boston is actually a bit easier than NYC as well... (we used to live in CT, so we did a lot of NYC and Boston cruising)

Not sure about Nickelodeon activities on the Dawn, as generally our kids have left the nest and we don't participate in those these days.

As for the Gem... another great choice... Somewhat similar to the Dawn in size, but a great crew and nice ship as well :)

Edited by cliffd64

I am interested in this information as well. We are booked on the Dawn in July :)

I do agree that we more interested in Bermuda than the ship. That said, we will have 3 glorious seas days to enjoy the Dawn :)

Sent from my iPad. Typos are inevitable.

Have done both the Gem and the Dawn to Bermuda. As everyone says, that cruise is more about the destination than the ship. For the price difference, I would go with the Dawn and save the rest towards your next cruise. The Crew is terrific on the Dawn.

I've been on both ships sailing to Bermuda. I had fabulous time on both, but went on Dawn first, before the BA existed, so I wasn't trying to compare anything, and I don't think it's best to compare apples to oranges, anyway.

We are sailing on the Dawn again the end of the summer. We chose it over the BA this time because we are also in Mass, it's cheaper to park, far less of a drive, and we want a more relaxed, romantic cruise this time instead of the Go, Go, Go like we were on the BA, trying to fit everything in. That being said, there were plenty of organized activities on the Dawn, so you can certainly find things to keep you busy, just no water slides, ropes courses, or such.. I don't believe there's mini golf, either, but I may not remember correctly.

I can't comment on the kids aspect, as we have not brought them on either ship, however, the Bermuda itinerary is great because you aren't rushing to cram in a day on the island to get back on the ship in time. You can take your time getting on and off.

We did the Gem to Bahamas with the kids this past summer. Really nice ship, and very similar to the Dawn, although a different class. I'm not a super-fan of that itinerary, but I'd do it again for the right price. The kids had a blast.

I have taken both the dawn and breakaway to Bermuda I would never take the Dawn again. Not that there is anything wrong with it, but we love all the additional entertainment on the Breakaway. Plus the 678 design is great it's convienent and creates a great area. Also the spaces are designed much better, many of the areas ie the blues club don't feel like your on a ship. To me unless your going to Europe and visiting a port a day it's never just about the destination. If was just the destination I'd fly

I don't recall the Dawn having the Sponge Bob characters, but it is an enjoyable ship. We'll be back aboard her this summer, for the third or fourth time.

Living in Massachusetts, makes cruising from Boston so easy. We just book a car service, and we're at the pier in less than 1 hour.

We do fly to other ports, but a cruise out of Boston is so much easier without the expense of extra travel.

I would pick Gem or Breakaway. I have been on Dawn, Gem and Breakaway and Dawn is my least favorite ship. Luckily I was in the Garden Villa's which changed the trip. The Dawn has less entertainment and less venus as there is not a bliss either. I actually loved the Gem and would go on it again and I am booked on Breakaway again to Bermuda in Sep but I would not book Dawn again personally. While you do spend a lot of time in the day (3 days) on shore you are on the ship at night plus you have those 3 sea days.

My son niece and nephew loved the dawn. The kids club was great and the kids pool area with two little slides was perfect! I haven't been on the breakaway yet but I think people are correct in saying apples and oranges. I've been on Majesty, Dream, Spirit and Dawn and Dawn was favorite of that group. Good luck and enjoy!