Island princess Panama Canal

lrockwitt

We've done it on the Island and will be going again next week. I'm so glad we're going before she gets cannibalized. We like the fact that she is smaller than the new ships and has the production show, On the Bayou.

Edited by Nancyquilts

Island Princess is our favorite ship and I'd hate to think that anything would be done to ruin the good things about her. For us it's Crooner's Bar with the best, friendliest bartender's, the back decks where we may be the last to see the view, but we're not crowded, and the wonderful Room Steward's.

We like the "small ship" feel, even if it isn't small.

We won't write this ship off until we try it again!

There are several changes-to-Island threads here; do a search. They are, for example, doing away with the Universe Lounge, one of the two major entertainment venues on the ship, and shrinking the gym and putting it in a windowless area. The Coral will remain unmolested, at least for now. There is a second-rate IC on the Coral, but none on the Island.

I've done two full transits and one partial, and enjoyed them all. I was able to do a lot of activities that I like (e.g., birding, ziplining) and I find going through the locks always interesting. But, frankly speaking, how are any of us supposed to know whether you'd enjoy the B2B without knowing anything about what you enjoy? As in: "I'm taking a cruise next month to the Sea of Cortez. Will I have a good time?"

Edited by shepp

Anyone done a B2B full transit on the Island Princess thru the Panama Canal? How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on the September 27, 2014 cruise from San Francisco. You don't say what you would like to know about the cruise. How can I help. I'll answer any questions that you have. I also did a blog of the cruise.

Tom:)

We went L.A. to Ft. Lauderdale through the canal in November 2013. It was just great and the ship was great. We had a mini-suite which was great, since our daughter had an inside cabin and we had the nice balcony and room for us all when she came to our cabin. We had dolphin deck which was great - you can look straight down to the action in the locks. We had room service on the transit and it seemed to come in 5 minutes. So relaxing to sit on the balcony, listen to the TV commentary, and watch the scenery. I am sad to hear they will change the ship. I thought it was great and I hope it isn't worse after changing it. Maybe it will still be OK.

Best bet is to go on Princess website to see the ports listed. I don't believe the B2B has any different ports. I will say that you have to love sea days and just like being on a ship. We have done 2 one way trips and enjoy the down time. You are going to countries that are rather poor so if that bothers you I'm not sure you will like the back to back. We found them all interesting but if we did it a third time we might stay on board for some stops. We had a mini suite the last time and it was great having the bit of extra room. Since I was not a fan of the Universe Lounge I don't know how upset I will be once it's removed . Not sure about the extra passengers as the ship never felt crowded and was easy to manage getting around. No International Café on the Island but the Princess Plaza was a nice place to sit during the day.

Edited by waltd

Thanks for the info.

I have already booked a partial transit on the Island Princess 10 days. I think I will stick with that as I am not sure about the ship?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

When you get back let us know what you think. Have fun.

Since I was not a fan of the Universe Lounge I don't know how upset I will be once it's removed .

While it's a dud design for a showroom, it does host the only nighttime shows besides the ones in the Princess Theater, including the much-lauded "on the Bayou," designed for that space. It's also used, among other things, for Zumba, line dancing, the Captain's Circle party, trivia. I have no idea where they could stick all that stuff, but then, since none of those things is revenue producing, maybe Princess will just axe them in pursuit of the mighty dollar.

Can i use a coffee card on the Island Princess?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely. You will be able to use the coffee card at the Patisserie Bar. Shepp you are probably right. I'm sure the Explorers Lounge will be used a lot more but it still is not the dance space like the Universe Lounge.