Whittier boarding procedures

dhennen

We're departing on the Princess Star from Whittier on August 15, 2015. We'll arrive in Whittier at noon. The cruise departs at 8:30 PM.

We're trying to figure out if we have time to do anything in Whittier. Is anyone familiar with their boarding procedure? How long should we expect it to take to get checked in at around noon? When would we have to be back on the ship?

Thanks!

You could always take one of the Prince William Sound day cruises. They're timed with the train departures and the benefit of the cruiseship passengers.

If that's not of interest, why arrive in Whittier so early?

The ParkConnection Bus serves Whittier when a ship is in Port; leaves Anc Museum at 3pm arrives Whittier at 5pm.

Or check the schedule of Seward Bus lines or any of the independent transfers.

Frankly with so much to see and do in Alaska, I never board a ship until evening.

In Whittier, the "winner" is a Prince William Sound boat tour, which is enjoyed by many people.

Otherwise, you may want to consider activities in Anchorage- if that's where you are, if you wish to take advantage of being there.

I never "waste" a single day in Alaska. :)

We're in Seward for a couple of days before -- we're taking the Seward Bus Line straight from Seward to Whittier, thus our arrival time at noon.

I wanted to try and figure out how much time we'd have, then I was going to start digging into what we could do in that time, thus my question on how long it might take to get on the ship and when we have to be back.

I agree, we want to maximize our time doing and seeing stuff, not sitting on the ship.

Thanks all for your help.

We're in Seward for a couple of days before -- we're taking the Seward Bus Line straight from Seward to Whittier, thus our arrival time at noon.

I wanted to try and figure out how much time we'd have, then I was going to start digging into what we could do in that time, thus my question on how long it might take to get on the ship and when we have to be back.

I agree, we want to maximize our time doing and seeing stuff, not sitting on the ship.

Thanks all for your help.

You aren't going to have to be on board until evening, usually the check in cut off is 90 minutes prior to departure.

If you were interested in taking advantage of a PWS boat tour, you need to verify your shuttle. It sounds like they plan on getting through the 11:30a tunnel? If the case- then the tours can be added. You may not have time check into the cruise ship until later.

We will also be cruising on Princess out of Whittier in June. We will arrive in Whittier by train, arriving just after noon. I was also considering a PWS tour, but was unsure if we would be able drop our luggage with Princess without checking in/boarding and making it to the tour in time. Can anyone tell me if there is enough time between arrival by train to drop off luggage and make it to the PWS tour?

In the past, the baggage was transferred to the cruise ship direct. Of course you need to have it properly tagged when you check it in Anchorage. They have been doing it for several years. Call Alaska RR in a few months to verify.

Aside from the PWS boat tour there is really nothing in Whittier. They do have a small town museum that is pretty nice but that is about the only thing in town. You can wander around the few shops along the waterfront but you can probably see everything in 1 hour.

I would definitely look into one of the PWS day trips in Whittier.:) It is a wonderful day trip filled with beautiful scenery and glaciers!

The town of Whittier is quite small and will not take long to explore.

Whittier is probably one of the easiest check-ins that we have experienced. They are very organized and there is not the usual hustle and bustle of the bigger ports.