Need advice on Amsterdam

Infi

Hi all,

We're planning to book a cruise for later this year on the Amsterdam and needed some help with cabin selection. We really like the large cat Js and Ks on Vistas and the sideways cat Js on the S-class ships. Are there any inside cabins similar to this on the Amsterdam? Last year we booked a sideways inside on the Amsterdam and were very disappointed with how tiny and poorly laid out the cabin was and don’t want to repeat that mistake. I checked HALfacts for cabin photos, but there weren’t many of inside cabins, not even on the other R-class ships. Thanks in advance!

I know of at least two of the cabins you are describing. Check out the deckplan on Main Deck. Cabin 2619 is one of the "sideways" cabins, and is most spacious. There's another one further down the passageway, too (I believe; don't know the cabin number).

Just remember, 2619 is mine, so you can have it when I'm not cruising. ;)

I know of at least two of the cabins you are describing. Check out the deckplan on Main Deck. Cabin 2619 is one of the "sideways" cabins, and is most spacious. There's another one further down the passageway, too (I believe; don't know the cabin number).

Just remember, 2619 is mine, so you can have it when I'm not cruising. ;)

Thanks, Ruth! I was hoping you would reply. We're forever grateful for your tips on the larger cabins - thanks to your advice, we got hooked on our first Hal cruise and now can't imagine sailing in anything else. We're spoiled inside cabin fans now!

Just checked and it looks like 2619 is taken for our cruise, but there's 2645 down the hall (Cat J with an upper berth) that's open. Would that be the one you were thinking of? It's the only other sideways cabin on that deck. The only thing that concerns me is that upper bunk, I know those tend to get in the way. :o

Just checked and it looks like 2619 is taken for our cruise, but there's 2645 down the hall (Cat J with an upper berth) that's open. Would that be the one you were thinking of? It's the only other sideways cabin on that deck. The only thing that concerns me is that upper bunk, I know those tend to get in the way. :o

Yes, that's the one that I believe is also a "sideways" cabin. The virtual tour of the cabin does not show it that way, however that is a common error with all of those cabins.

What I'm not understanding is where you got the information that there's an upper berth. It's not listed as a triple.

Yes, that's the one that I believe is also a "sideways" cabin. The virtual tour of the cabin does not show it that way, however that is a common error with all of those cabins.

What I'm not understanding is where you got the information that there's an upper berth. It's not listed as a triple.

Yes, it turns out I read the key wrong, it actually says that the two lowers convert to one queen. Now just to find out if this is a shower only or shower/tub cabin.

Now just to find out if this is a shower only or shower/tub cabin.

Since it's an inside, it's shower only.

The shower is a generous size, placed where the sink/vanity would be in an outside cabin. The sink/vanity in insides are where the tub would be in an outside cabin---so the vanity and shelf underneath are very long.

• 3 weeks later...
Since it's an inside, it's shower only.

The shower is a generous size, placed where the sink/vanity would be in an outside cabin. The sink/vanity in insides are where the tub would be in an outside cabin---so the vanity and shelf underneath are very long.

Hi Ruth, If 2645 and 2619 are taken do you have a 3rd cabin on that ship that you like? we hope to book the 2017 World Cruise as soon as it comes out. THANKS Marty

Hi Ruth' date=' If 2645 and 2619 are taken do you have a 3rd cabin on that ship that you like? we hope to book the 2017 World Cruise as soon as it comes out. THANKS Marty[/quote']

I used to grab 3345 whenever I could. It is handy-dandy to outdoors, close to both the mid-ship and forward elevators. It's your basic "large" inside, with the same configuration as the outsides.

I'm not finding a cabin 2017 on the deck plan. :confused:

Now that I use a scooter when cruising I can't take 3345. It won't hold my chariot, which the "sideways" cabin does.

I used to grab 3345 whenever I could. It is handy-dandy to outdoors, close to both the mid-ship and forward elevators. It's your basic "large" inside, with the same configuration as the outsides.

I'm not finding a cabin 2017 on the deck plan. :confused:

Now that I use a scooter when cruising I can't take 3345. It won't hold my chariot, which the "sideways" cabin does.

We hope to book the 2017 World Cruise.. Is 3345 the same size as 2645 and 2619? thanks Marty

Edited by we're sailing away....

We hope to book the 2017 World Cruise.. Is 3345 the same size as 2645 and 2619? thanks Marty

Duh. Blame my confusion on lack of caffeine this early in the morning. :o

Cabin 2619 is one of the "sideways" cabins' date=' and is larger than the customary "large" inside, which 3345 is.

If you know what any of the outside cabins look like, that is what the customary "large" insides look like, too. Google for some Facts about HAL cabins and you should be able to find pictures of the customary cabins.

The insides are about 10 sq. ft. smaller than the outsides (except for the outsides on Lower Promenade, which are smaller than the insides). The lost space is accounted for by having a love seat instead of a full couch, and (I believe) one less closet. [/color']

If you cruising on the Amsterdam before the WC, you can check them out when you 1st board as doors are usually open, you can ask for a tour of the cabins, or knock on the door and ask the occupants if you can take a peek. The WC itinerary is usually announced toward the end of the current WC . It is kind of nice that the WC passengers get surveyed about which proposed itinerary they prefer as there are so many 'repeaters'. The itinerary is usually available late May, early June on the HAL site but 'previews' should be available. Watch the roll calls as the 2017 WC roll call may get opened with the poster adding the proposed itinerary that was handed out on this year's WC.

If you cruising on the Amsterdam before the WC, you can check them out when you 1st board as doors are usually open, you can ask for a tour of the cabins, or knock on the door and ask the occupants if you can take a peek. The WC itinerary is usually announced toward the end of the current WC . It is kind of nice that the WC passengers get surveyed about which proposed itinerary they prefer as there are so many 'repeaters'. The itinerary is usually available late May, early June on the HAL site but 'previews' should be available. Watch the roll calls as the 2017 WC roll call may get opened with the poster adding the proposed itinerary that was handed out on this year's WC.

Thanks for the info I have not been on the Amsterdam yet and the 2017 WC will be my first time .

Thanks for the info I have not been on the Amsterdam yet and the 2017 WC will be my first time .

If you've been on any of the Holland America S- or R-class ships (that's 8 ships to choose from)' date=' the cabins are alike in the same categories across all of them.

Or, if you find pictures from any of those 8 ships, you can consider them the same as on the Amsterdam.[/color']

Hi Ruth ' date=' First THANKS we will be on the Massdam in 2 weeks, Which room is the same You have taught me that on the Amsterdam try to get 2619 or 2645[/quote']

You're welcome. :)

On the S-class ships, such as Maasdam, cabins 548 and 549 are the "sideways" cabins that are the same configuration as cabin 2619 on the R-class ships. I don't know if there are more.

They are the first inside cabins forward of the forward elevator. I recall 549 as a triple, with the third bed the sofa; it would fold open for one, with the head/feet going from sofa arm to arm. There were no additional closets for the third person. On the S-class ships, though there are 6 drawers in the desk, making the top desk space longer.

Also, triples may tend to be a bit bigger due to the full sofa but you may lose a closet cabinet.

That's not true in the "sideways" cabins in the S- and R-class ships. Those cabins have two full closets, plus the one closet with fixed shelves, the safe, and the hanging space for short things. There's really no way to remove one and still have hanging space.

To make room for the full length couch, instead of the love seat, the end table w/lamp (and shelves inside) is removed.