San Pedro - Best Western?

Working 2 Cruise

[quote name='Working 2 Cruise']I made a mistake on Priceline... I accidentally booked the Best Western instead of the Crown Plaza...

Is this going to be ok? Are there any restaurants nearby? I tried Trip Advisor but couldn't figure out how to get the info...

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Not a great location, IMHO...It's on a heavily trafficked thoroughfare right where the 110 Freeway dumps out into San Pedro...not a pretty area...
And there's not much around there in the way of restaurants except fast food--McDonald's Taco Bell, Burger King...

If you want to find nicer restaurants, you'll need to walk about 8-12 blocks...or take a taxi...Turn right as you exit the hotel onto Gaffey and walk about four blocks to 6th Street, turn left and walk another four blocks and you'll find one of my favorites--the San Pedro Brewing Company (I ate there last before my January 3 cruise--great Tri-tip sandwich)...Another couple of blocks past that, you'll find the Green Onion (Mexican) and another couple of blocks past that, you'll hit the waterfront and Acapulco (Mexican)...Most of the restaurants in the area are between 5th and 7th and between Pacific and Centre (2 to 4 blocks east of Gaffey and 3 to 5 blocks South of your hotel--(which is the other side of Gaffey between 1st and 2nd)... Edited by Bruin Steve

Thanks! This was a costly mistake... I booked the Doubletree... my husband isn't well, so walking is out of the question for now... the object was for him to be able to get room service or a restaurant within the hotel.

Thanks for the info and will make sure to stay within the 3 1/2 to 4 stars next time! Now, I have to pay for 2 hotel rooms!

Actually, the Best Western gets better reviews on T.A. Than the Crowne or Doubletree. I stayed there last October, and the area is "interesting", the hotel itself is very nice, and that is why we are staying there again.

We're staying at the Best Western Plus on Gaffney. I've talked to the people at the desk there and they seem very helpful. There's a shuttle to the port which we need since we're flying to LA. It seems to have good revues on Trip Advisor and there are at least 3 restaurants nearby -- Whale & Ale, Raffaella Ristorante and San Pedro Brewing.
Hope we'll all be satisfied.
Lynn

[quote name='gunnywife']We're staying at the Best Western Plus on Gaffney. I've talked to the people at the desk there and they seem very helpful. There's a shuttle to the port which we need since we're flying to LA. It seems to have good revues on Trip Advisor and there are at least 3 restaurants nearby -- Whale & Ale, Raffaella Ristorante and San Pedro Brewing.
Hope we'll all be satisfied.
Lynn[/QUOTE]

It all depends on what one considers as "nearby"...San Pedro Brewing Company is a healthy eight blocks away, Whale & Ale over nine...and not necessarily a pleasant walk...

As to the hotel's reviews, take it all with a grain of salt...The people staying at the Best Western are likely expecting a lot less, so more easily pleased. Those staying at the Crowne Plaza likely have much higher expectations.

Trust me, the Crowne Plaza is a MUCH nicer hotel....and in a much better location...all of those San Pedro restaurants are within a couple of short blocks from the CP...San Pedro Brewing Company is on the next block west of the CP...

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Bruin Steve']It all depends on what one considers as "nearby"...San Pedro Brewing Company is a healthy eight blocks away, Whale & Ale over nine...and not necessarily a pleasant walk...<snip>[/QUOTE]

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, but of the two, which would you lean towards for a 3:00 pm or so visit on a Monday next month?

From the Crowne.

Thanks,

gary

[quote name='gtaylor']Sorry to kind of hijack this thread, but of the two, which would you lean towards for a 3:00 pm or so visit on a Monday next month?

From the Crowne.

Thanks,

gary[/QUOTE]

Easy call...
Whale & Ale has shorter hours...and is closed from 3:00 to 5:00 pm on Mondays...

Not only is San Pedro Brewing open, but it's "Hoppy Hour"...and, also, it's "Margarita Monday"...

[url]http://sanpedrobrewing.com/[/url]

I am sort of partial to San Pedro Brewing Co. anyway...
Try the Tri Tip Sandwich...