First Night Formal for New Year's Eve??

CoolKath

CB sailing on Dec 31 - Will the first night be "formal" for New Year's Eve? This is my first cruise, so I'm not sure about these things, but from what I've read on these boards, it sounds like the first night usually isn't formal. But, do you think that will be different since its New Year's Eve?

Any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.

BTW - Any other CB New year's revelers? The roll call is pretty quiet.

We have been on two New Year’s Eve cruises. The first was the Millennium, and there was no doubt about it being formal. (And it was one hell of a party!) The second was kind of strange, as two other nights were slated as the formal nights, and we kept wondering why they were not adjusting to make New Years formal.

Well, finally, we got the word that for New Years Eve, Formal wear was optional. So I had the ships laundry clean one of my Tux shirts, and we dressed formal (for the third night).

It did strike me as strange that they were so inflexible about just changing the “usual” formal night, but we just went with flow and had a great time.

We were on the CB for last New Year's and it was definitely formal. Everyone was wonderfully dressed up -- it was, in general, more formal than I've seen in years. Even though it's your first night on the cruise, I'd bet that it'll still be formal.

I've been on RCCL cruises over New Years and they provide unlimited, free champagne. On the CB, the party was better, with a rock band playing but no free champagne -- you have to buy it. They do give out hats and noisemakers (for free, what a deal!)

Thanks for the help... Does anyone know who I might be able to ask? I may have to think about how to pack a formal to be ready to go first night out.... maybe I'm just stressing myself out over a little thing, its been known to happen before ;)

We were on the CB for last New Year's and it was definitely formal. Everyone was wonderfully dressed up -- it was, in general, more formal than I've seen in years. Even though it's your first night on the cruise, I'd bet that it'll still be formal.

I've been on RCCL cruises over New Years and they provide unlimited, free champagne. On the CB, the party was better, with a rock band playing but no free champagne -- you have to buy it. They do give out hats and noisemakers (for free, what a deal!)

The Grand Princess on New Years' was DEFINITELY formal, more than usual, and yes, they did give free champagne for a New Year's Eve toast. There were 3 different venues, all great parties.

The CD (and cruise tickets) forgot to tell everyone it was formal until the day before when we asked him about it - so don't let lack of notice of the attire on your cruise ticket affect your decision to go formal the first night.

If you've packed your dress/tux your luggage should arrive well before the late evening, but might not make it for dinner - especially if you prefer an early seating. It could be tight on the timing.

Can't say whether it will be formal or not being the first night of the cruise. Ours was formal and most people were dressed up for it. You can view our pics in my signature below of how the ship was dressed up, our pics are from the Sapphire.

We did not get any free champagne and we visited a number of venues over the course of the night!! They did sell half bottles but they weren't cheap. The horizon court had trays of chocolate covered strawberries though! :)

Kim

I think New Year's Day will probably be formal, but they'll never have 2 consecutive formal nights, so New Year's eve will likely not be formal plus it's the first night of the cruise, it's too much to expect people to dress up.

We sailed Royal Caribbean twice over New Years, and it was only formal on the Legend, because it wasn't the first night. On our second cruise on the Grandeur we boarded on 12/31 and it was not formal. Everyone dressed very nicely, but definitely NOT formal.

We have also sailed the Golden Princess over New Years, and they do NOT offer free champagne for a toast. We all were standing in line at the various bars buying our champagne, unlike Royal Caribbean, where the Champagne was free flowing.

Ginnie

We were on the Coral last New Years Eve and it was not a formal night, although some people did dress formally. I leave Dec. 31 on the Sapphire and am wondering if the first night will be formal. Usually formal nights are the 2nd night of the cruise.

Archived