Transportation to Papito's

aruss

Four of us would like to go Papito's at Punta Sur and trying to decide the best and most economical way to go. We want to snorkel without a guide, order a few drinks and eat a little lunch but don't want AI since we wouldn't eat or drink that much.

Papito's offers a 5 hour tour that is $35pp. It includes transportation, park entrance fee and a guided snorkel tour. $140 for 4 people ($35pp).

OR looking at other options:

The posted cost of a taxi from pier to punta sur is $60 for four. The driver will wait for you for as long as you stay.

From what I've read we would also have to pay an enterance fee into the park in which it is located. Does anyone know how much the fee is? Is it by person or by carload? I've read $12 but can't find a reliable source on this.

Papito's states that they limit it to 50 people per day. Can they really regulate this if you can get in without buying their passes?

If we don't buy their AI package, but will order a few drinks and some lunch can we use their chairs?

Assuming they will allow us in without a pass, and park enterance fee is $12pp plus $60 round trip taxi, the cost would be $108 for four. Also we wouldn't be limited to the 5 hours as in the package rate.

Looking for advice/answers from anyone that has gone to Papito's on their own. Thanks!

Hi! I haven't done this yet, but plan to on our June cruise. I have been emailing them back and forth like crazy bc we have 20 people and I was hoping they would do a special transportation thing for us bc we also wanted to stay longer. However, she told me today it could not happen. It is $14 to get the park, but $20 to reserve at Papitos w/o transportation and yes, you have to contact them ahead of time to reserve. The $20 includes the $14 and it is $14 per person not per car. The $20 includes chairs and umbrellas but that's basically it as opposed to the $35 rate which includes the guided snorkeling and 10 min massage, but I'm with you the big thing is the amt of time. Bc we have so many people, I'm just going to book the excursion w/ the transportation. It's too messy to try to have everyone stay together etc in different taxis etc. Just too much effort. Oh I forgot the $20 also includes the kayaks and paddleboats so if you are going to do that it might make a difference.

Go to cozumelparks dot com and then click on English in right hand corner and then Punta Sur at top and it shows you what the park offers and the price. The park itself has chairs and hammocks so you may not even need Papitos if you get your own transportation.

Then go to papitosbeachcozumel dot com and you see the resort directly. Hope that helps!

It does look fabulous and less people sounds good to me!

CAUTION: there were MORE than 50 people the day we were there, easily 100 onsite, we saw them admit more people after our arrival and it was obvious that it was FULL. We did the package for transportation and park admission fee, which is a fair price.

Not enough loungers, found 2, we had a group of 7, had to use a table with chairs, not what we were hoping for, also NOT 5 hours on site, ended up being 3 hours onsite.

4 from our group decided on the all inclusive after a persuasive introduction to the site @ 40pp in addition to the $35, sounded great, we were not shown the menu, it's not the same I had read about previously, NOT worth it, the AI menu was very limited. Food service was SLOW, they said "it's fresh" we ordered nachos, guacamole and fish ceviche. Fish ceviche arrived 1 1/2 hours later, after multiple requests and being told "it's fresh." Bar service was slow as well, Not worth $75 for 3 hours, never had the snorkel "tour" as the other group did not return in time for us to go out.

There is a lot a sea grass on the beach, just be informed, not a good area for young children to wade into the water.

Our adult daughter swam out to the single floating mat in the water and received multiple ”wounds" to her leg and needed first aid, no first aid kit or supplies available. The floating platform was very close to shore, we were surprised that she had so many wounds/stings to her leg,we had Benadryl and some other supplies, she was fine until we got back on board.

If you have never been to the lighthouse and down to Punta Sur, it is a wonderful excursion for $35, but NOT worth the additional AI price with the limited menu and bar service.

Wow, thanks to both of you.

Now I'm rethinking if this is where we want to go. I guess just using their package is the best option, but only 3 hours of actual beach time would make it a no-go. I'm curious if others who have been only got 3 hours?

Also, did anyone else experience bites and stings in the water?

That was not our experience at all. My friends and I (a group of 8) had a great time. We chose the AI package, a few starting with the $35 option and the rest just straight AI. We all snorkeled without the guided tour.

We found the service to be great. Monkey brought us our drinks and food in a timely fashion. We had eight chairs as well as a table to eat at. If I ever end up in Cozumel, I will head back there in a heartbeat.

That was not our experience at all. My friends and I (a group of 8) had a great time. We chose the AI package, a few starting with the $35 option and the rest just straight AI. We all snorkeled without the guided tour.

We found the service to be great. Monkey brought us our drinks and food in a timely fashion. We had eight chairs as well as a table to eat at. If I ever end up in Cozumel, I will head back there in a heartbeat.

To be fair, we were in port with 7 other cruise ships, so there were a lot of extra people on the island. However with that said, they most certainly did not limit it as advertised and they did not turn people away. They obviously had not planned for that busy of a day or they would have brought on more servers, but it's Cozumel and I don't blame them for attempting to get all the business they can when they can, but I want others to be informed. We would not go back to Papito's while on a cruise ship, but most definitely if we spend a few days on the island and can select a day with less ships in port, we love Punta Sur.

I have a similar question. I just reserved the snorkeling tour for when we're there in March. It includes transportation to and from the ship. How do I know where they will pick us up? Will there be a separate email?

I'm think if of also getting the open bar package then ordering food a la carte. Does anyone have thoughts on that? We'll be there on my birthday--if there's somewhere better to get food maybe we'll just eat

Light there and get better food before we get back on the ship.

I talked to one of their customer service girls and they pick up directly at the cruise terminal and take care of transportation. That is a biggie! I remember when our taxi driver tried to overcharge us $20 for a trip to Mr Sanchos....

Wow, thanks to both of you.

Now I'm rethinking if this is where we want to go. I guess just using their package is the best option, but only 3 hours of actual beach time would make it a no-go. I'm curious if others who have been only got 3 hours?

Also, did anyone else experience bites and stings in the water?

I got the snorkel package and emailed them to see if I could extend it past the 5 hours. They said that I could work with the folks at the beach to hire a taxi back to the pier or maybe share one with other people going back to the pier. So we'll probably end up paying another $35 for a taxi if we want to spend more than "5 hours" there, but if we're having fun, then that's ok with me. My big concern is getting there in the morning from the ship and I like that they pick you up; I'm not too worried about being able to get back.

Edited by bluegirlum

I got the snorkel package and emailed them to see if I could extend it past the 5 hours. They said that I could work with the folks at the beach to hire a taxi back to the pier or maybe share one with other people going back to the pier. So we'll probably end up paying another $35 for a taxi if we want to spend more than "5 hours" there, but if we're having fun, then that's ok with me. My big concern is getting there in the morning from the ship and I like that they pick you up; I'm not too worried about being able to get back.

Considering the location getting back in time for the ship would concern me much more than getting there. Plenty of taxis available to get you TO Punta Sur.