Any comments on Viking China cruisetour yet?

amster

...cookie4u....

Sorry can't help with the 'diet' question, except I notice that in the Travel Information section of the Viking Yangtze River Cruise brochure, under 'Special Diets', it reads -

"Passengers requiring special diets such as vegetarian, low salt, diabetic and low cholesterol meals must alert Viking River Cruises prior to departure as well as inform the Maitre d'Hotel when on board. The chefs will make a reasonable effort to accommodate special detary requests. Special diet requests can not be guaranteed during land portions".

I would suggest that you email Viking with your request.

Viking is a "class act" and I'm sure that they'll make every effort to oblige.

Gypsy

My wife and I were on the cruise the first week in April. I agree that Viking did a very good job in almost all aspects of the cruise and I think they will do everything to accommodate your special needs. However you should always keep in mind that China even with its recent strong economic growth is still a third world country. Most of the cruise is in areas where even basic (by US standards) medical treatment may be unavailable. If I were you I would be extremely careful. Floating down Yangtze River in Three Gorges, you do not want to have a medical problem.

• 2 weeks later...

We are part of a group of 3 couples on the Labor Day cruise to China. My biggest worry so far concerns the weight limits listed in the VRL brochure. Just how critical is it to be under the 44 lb weight limit? And just how does one go on a 12 day cruise and not overpack? It seems that no real problems were mentioned so far about about the baggage weight... I just do not want to leave clothes behind at the airport.

BTW, we cruised on the Danube River for the first time with VRL last fall and had a great time. Even with too little water at the start of the week and then finishing the cruise with too much water to complete the trip up river we would go again.

Wayne

The luggage issue was of great concern to us as well (we were on the inaugural Viking cruise in March). I couldn't fathom how we were going to deal with that little luggage and buy some of the neat things we were sure we would want to bring home. The international flights we knew would not be a problem but the intra-China flights we dreaded because the warnings about luggage were so dire. Well, we worried for nothing for two reasons. I was told by an internet acquaintance to check both our large suitcase and a wheeled carryon on the international flights. However, unbelievably, she told me that on the intra-China flights, while we would be limited to one checked piece of 44 lbs./person, we could basically carry on whatever we wanted & the carryon would not be weighed. We found this very hard to believe but it was true. So, on the international flights, we checked one large suitcase and one wheeled carryon per person. Once we got to China, we checked only the large suitcase & carried the wheeled carryon onto the plane. We had no problems at all. I also believe that by the 2nd flight my checked piece had to exceed 44 lbs. as well & I suspect there is some "payment" going on between tour guide & airline, which was MUCH appreciated. I would not for one moment suggest going totally overboard with luggage because that would be unreasonable (I would not go with two huge suitcases per person, for example). However, the 44 lbs. was not strictly adhered to for which we were extremely thankful, but you do have to be prepared to schlep your carryon yourself if you use this method. I don't believe we would have been allowed to check two pieces per person on the intra-China flights. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif Have a great time!

The weight is the average amount if you are on a tour. They weigh all the luggage for the group and if it is over a fee is paid. If you are by yourself they weigh the individual luggage. On our tour the accompaning guide used a carry on only so there was an extra 44 lbs to go among the passengers. We had a group of about 14 and we never broke the weight as far as I know and yes they didn't weigh the carry ons. There was a western trained doctor on the ship. China has very good pharmacies and good basic medicine. While it may be a third world country, foreign visitors are given(for a fee) the best treatment available. Of course if you have to be evacuated to either Japan or Hong Kong where the treatment is good even by US standards that can be very expensive--buy insurance. Medicare does not cover outside the US. PAck lightly and wash your clothes on the ship, its not that expensive.

Special diet note we asked for steamed veggies on the ship(we were beginning to feel our clothes get tight). Not only did they do everything to accomoodate us, they steamed about 10 different veggies that were so good the entire table wanted and shared them. Its more difficult on the land portion, especially since many of the fried foods will be cooked in peanut oil! Good luck bring some of your own snacks just in case.

Proud charter member of the PPS-Passport Pusher Society

Mother's Day on the Dawn

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;05;09;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

smeyer418@yahoo.com

Celebrity, NCL, Overnight Ferry, hydrofoil between countries, car ferries and river cruise and of course the Staten Island Ferry

[This message was edited by smeyer418 on 05-07-04 at 08:57 PM.]

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't think it matters at least on the seven night cruise, though I understand Viking is introducing at least one longer cruise next year and maybe it will matter on that one? We were in 316 on the inaugural. I think the view is pretty similar from both sides but maybe someone else will have a different opinion. Have a great time!!

• 3 weeks later...
Now with my digital camera, I lug my laptop so I can get back on the ship, download my pictures, and have an instant slideshow!

We'll be on the Imperial China trip last part of August.

Usually I bring a laptop and download the pictures of the day - but in reading the treads about electricity etc., did you have to bring a electrical converter and were there any problems using the laptop?

Thanks much.

Archived