Where to scuba?

NIGirl

My husband and I are going on Independence of the Seas in July.

We are looking to do some snorkelling and diving whilst we are there

Our stops are San Juan, St Maarten, St Kitts, Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Cayman and Cozumel.

Can anyone recommend good companies to go with?

cross off your list

San Juan, Haiti (Labadee) and Jamaica ... there is either no diving available or it just isn't worth it ...

there is good diving in PR but not around SJ

no SCUBA offered in Labadee unless a recent addition, and no outside vendors available

JA ... I've dove Montego and Ocho several times ... save your money. Have not see a good review of a dive op in Fal'

I've been to each of these places many times . . .

many threads about Cayman and Coz ....

I prefer to shore dive Cayman at Sunset House with Eden Rock a back up choice.

You really need a boat dive in Coz however as there is limited shore diving.

Edited by Capt_BJ

I would agree Grand Cayman and/or Cozumel. My personal choice is Cozumel. I like the big coral and drift diving in Coz. If you use cruise operators it will probably be Don Fosters in Grand Cayman and Sand Dollar Sports in Cozumel. I have dove with both and both are decent operators that cater to the new/vacation divers with large boats with 8-10 + divers in the boats when they work for the cruise lines. Booking your own dives can be difficult if you get into port after 7:00am as the boats usually go out between 7:00 and 8:00 and you will generally have to arrange transport to the dive shop, non cruise operators can not use the cruise pier.

In general the cruise dive ops use sites that are close to the ship and do easy dives so that they don't have to spend much travel time and can get the boat back out later.

• 3 weeks later...

I did not notice St Kitts and totally agree. Dive St Kitts picks you up, gives you a complementary rum punch after the dive, and has a great crew.

As for Aldora. Yes, they are good and have a good reputation, but I have to say they are the only dive operator I've used with which I was concerned about time. We ended up making it back to the ship with only about 30 minutes to spare. Their surface interval was far too long. I still don't know how we ran out of time, as we had the whole day in Cozumel with plenty of time to dive, but we did. Because of that, I don't think I would use them again.

I've dove Cozumel multiple times, almost always with a different dive operator. They are all pretty good. In all honestly, a lot of your dive exprerience depends on the other divers on the boat. I specifically recall with Aldora, we had a diver that had a very hard time clearing her ears. I am not exaggerating when I say divers waited at the bottom, at about 90', for about 10 minutes before she eventually got down. Not the fault of the dive master, but it's just an example that you never know, even with experienced divers, how your dive is going to be effected by others on your dive boat.

Still, Cozumel is great diving, not matter who you use!

• 5 months later...

My husband ended up booking with cozumelh2o. Best decision ever. Very reasonably priced and fantastic service. All equipment provided and fresh fruit/water during the surface interval

My husband and I ended up with two private dives with Miguel. On the way out on the boat, Miguel explained things we were likely to see and the signs he would use to indicate. Very experienced and patient dive instructor.

Can't wait to visit Cozumel again and wouldn't hesitate to book with this company again

You have to dive in Cozumel.

There are MANY great ops there; no reason to go with the cruise ship- pick an op with a small fast boat. Whomever you go with, find one that lets you dive your own air/computer and not come up with the first out of air or at a set time. (And if you notice someone in the group having a hard time descending, come up a 10-15 feet instead of waiting at the bottom; I've had that happen too- almost TEN MINUTES to descend. Those that waited at 45 feet for her had much longer dives than those that waited at 80 feet for her.)

My personal favorite is Scuba with Alison.

I also liked Tres Pelicanos. You've gotten some other good recommendations here too.

I LOVE the diving in Cozumel. The drifts make it SO easy. You don't even have to swim! And the boat picks you up right where you finish.

Edited by skittl1321

We used to use Dive with Martin, he was right at Carnival port, but recently I noticed they have something on their website about not reserving for cruisers! SO DISAPPOINTING, Dove with them over 15 yrs. I guess things have changed since Martin passed. They have fast boats & small groups & u can sometimes walk up & go.

Last time, we used Allison for the first time. She was good, but we paid ahead & it was storming (lightening) & a squall! Not my fav time to go out! She wouldn't let us cancel. We went and had 2 good dives & still time to shop. Overall, I'd go with her again.