Cruising Solo

kivvo

I am a 24 year old male and I've decided to cruise solo next week on the Imagination. Does anyone have experience cruising solo? I have been on 8 cruises so far, and I have always gone with family or friends.

How does the MDR work for YTD for solo cruisers? Will I be seated with other "single" cruisers? Any tips/advice would for a solo cruiser would be a huge help!

Vacation in T-Minus 6 Days!! :D:D:D

Thanks for the advice. Because I booked so late (a few days ago) the early seating, which I prefer, was already on wait list. Being that I live on Central time in Missouri, I was hoping not to eat too late. I took your advice, though, and signed up for fixed time on the late seating.

Peek at the Funtimes for a solo gathering. I never went because of me being in my senior years, but they do have them.

At fixed dining they try to start you at a solo table, but it's based on solo status, not age. At ATD, just asked to be seated with other people. Of course they may be different each night.

I did a solo cruise in my 20's on the Fascination. As much as I like to say how much I enjoy my cruises with my family these days, very few cruises will ever compare to that solo cruise. It was awesome! I did whatever I wanted when I wanted. I went out, partied (a little too much), met new friends, took some excursions and just had a great time (such that I almost missed the ship in Cozumel :eek:).

I was seated at a large table, all who were either singles, or single friends traveling together, all in the same age range. We all clicked from day one. Based on my experience, I would highly recommend taking a solo cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I went solo. It was great! I travel quite a bit solo but didn't know for sure if I would like to Cruise solo. Loved it! Sign up for the meet for your ship and talk to those people. Maybe you can find dinner partners there. I never went to the MDR. I ate everywhere else but there. Never had a problem if I was alone eating or striking up a conversation with someone sitting next to me. The tables are not that far apart. In most of the places anyway. I see your going on Imagination. That was my first Cruise almost 20 years ago. Wow! You will only be gone what about 3 or 4 days? I wouldn't worry about eating arrangements. Advantages- doing what you want when you want. Sleep till noon, take a nap, eat when you want to, watch a movie. The choice is yours! Disadvantages-no one to talk to at dinner. Sometimes. It's hard when you feel like talking and there is no one there. But strike up a conversation with anyone. You can tell if they want to talk or not. I was nervous for a few hours and by the time we set sail all my worries went away. I would go solo again in a heartbeat!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I was solo on the old Destiny with YTD and was seated at a two top with someone. I was asked if I minded sharing and it didn't bother me a bit.

It turned out to be an extremely fun meal, the lady seated with me was very interesting and it was nice to chat with her. I am not the most outgoing personality but I managed to have a lovely meal, with great conversation and was quite happy that evening.

I also ate dinner in the buffet by myself. That was also a lovely meal, the sun was setting and I had a table by the windows, it wasn't noisy and could actually hear the ambient music. The dinner was really delicious and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I hope you have a fantastic time!

I am a 24 year old male and I've decided to cruise solo next week on the Imagination. Does anyone have experience cruising solo? I have been on 8 cruises so far, and I have always gone with family or friends.

How does the MDR work for YTD for solo cruisers? Will I be seated with other "single" cruisers? Any tips/advice would for a solo cruiser would be a huge help!

Vacation in T-Minus 6 Days!! :D:D:D

There's a dedicated solo traveler's thread that you should explore for additional tips: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

All of my cruises have been solo. I've chosen YTD for all of them. Every time I've chosen to dine alone and have been accommodated. If that's your preference, they can accommodate you. It doesn't sound like that's your preference, though. You can ask to be seated with others with YTD if you want.

I have travelled solo on an all summer tours after Europe studies at 20 ..and a cruise was included with one of the tour groups and I was alone that year over spring break. This got it all started.

As I have aged and not married I have travelled solo on about 5 of my six or 7 cruises.

The one I took in 2009 at 48 or 49 was my best one so far and it was a 4 day on the Paradise then out of Long Beach. Carnival does it sooo wonderfully for solos or singles.

The first cruise after the tour special year at 20 was 26 and with Costa... they put me at a table with all solos in their 70's and eighties...oh ohhhh.

I was uncomfortable but saw the maitre'd after dinner one and he swithched me to a perfect table that was with 2 couples 10 years older and 3 solos my age and one senior solo..that was good. the seniors were sweet and understood..AND IF THEY HADN'T..THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN ok.

On my Paradise it was assigned dining early seating on a 10 top and had 2 solo friends my age then 45-55 and one senior solo and 2 senior couples...then we had others who joined this core group for whatever reason all throgh the cruise and it was fine becaus we just bonded so well..

So as you age mixed ages works better and better..but I think Carnival will be excellent at getting you a table that works and alot can happen from that table as foks have said.

The real moral of the story is ask the maitre'd to move you if it is not compatible and a fixed table can be very fun and not boring and have a changing group of people if a large one...with a special group out of the 10.

I know you are going to have a very fun time from your comming here and asking and your fellow cruisers a question...you are outgoing in that gesture and all you need to be is a tiny bit out going..just a tiny bit and everyone else is in the same boat..or on tha same boat LOL and it works.

I did my first anytime dining at 52 on my last cruise..I am now 55..I share ages because things change up with that..not hugely but a little..LOL.

I had a blast at the atd too because over the course of the 5 days different solos travelling together would see you and some cute gals your age were trying to meet a guy travelling solo that was their age and at my table on one of the dinners and i could help them make the connection and later saw them having a blast..that was fun too.

But at this time I highly reccomend fixed dining and I tend to think late may be a bit more fun for your evening crowd..and more folks your age but..it does not matter it will work out..just change what does not fit and have a wonderful time and check BOTH the solo and single travel forums from the main forum page...You are more a single than a solo at this point..but both forums will apply. Introverts and extroverts have an equally fun time on a cruise..it is just perfect..because you can watch or join as much as you want...,and so much to do.

Happy Cruising...

Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Solo is great. Took 2 last year, 1 in Nov another in Dec. I was a bit concerned whether I would like the experience, but after a couple hours on the 1st one, no more worries. It was great. Great traveling with friends, but it's also nice to have the cabin all to yourself. The only downside is paying a bit more to travel solo. But if a deal can be found, solo is doable. Definitely get fixed time dining. Both times, Carnival did a great job in seating solos/singles together. Had a blast. Since I was on my own, I was out of the cabin most of my waking hours and I met tons of people, a few who I have kept in touch with since. Now that I have done 2 solos, when I do travel with friends again, my preference would be for both of us to get our own cabins if the price is right. Enjoy.

You will do just fine going solo. I have been on a solo cruises. I never felt lonely. I did YTD and as mentioned the two top tables are rather close so you can just start up conversations. The crew and other passengers are always interested in a solo's story why they are traveling solo so be prepared to be asked this question often. Don't get annoyed by it. People are just being nice.

Meeting other travelers in the various bars and entertainment venues especially the piano bar and the night club is a great place to meet others. So go with an open mind and have a great time.:cool:

John Spo said, "The crew and other passengers are always interested in a solo's story why they are traveling solo so be prepared to be asked this question often. Don't get annoyed by it. People are just being nice."

IMHO Excellent advice.

I've only cruised solo. Both my cruises have been incredible. I do what I want when I want. The staff, especially the bartenders, were great.

I can't give any advise on the MDR though. In two cruises, I've eaten there once. The food was excellent, but I personally found the atmosphere to be loud and chaotic. I'm an over the road trucker and experience a loud chaotic world 300-320 days a year. When I cruise, relaxation is my goal. So I usually enjoy the steakhouse at least twice, always book the Chef's Table, and enjoy a quiet relaxed dinner at the buffet.

My sister wants to organize a family reunion cruise. I told her I would go, but I would have my own balcony cabin, no balcony divider opened. I've gotta, at least be able to have a bit of solo escape time to chill.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums