GCT Southern France

CruisePrincess6

We would like to do a Southern France River cruise and have looked at Tauck, Viking, Avalon,etc. Do like the GCT itinerary because there is an optional tour to Giverny that the other lines do not offer except on cruises to Normandy which we have already done. My concern is that this will be our first River cruise and concerned about the older boat, pull down beds, complaints about quality of food and wine. Have toured with Tauck but find the hotels they use a little over the top. We are very confortable with Marriott hotels and Princess cruises and like to eat where the locals eat instead of fancy hotels. Has any one done this cruise?

Uniworld's Grand France itinerary from Paris to Avignon does go to Giverny. It is a 15 day cruise as opposed to 8 day. It sails on the River Baroness and one of their new ships the SS Catherine. Uniworld's ships and food are top of the line.

I've did GCT's Rhone river cruise a few years ago. The ships used by GCT are older but are in immaculate condition. These ships carry less than 50 passengers and do not have pull down beds like GCT's other ships.

Food is subjectable but I found it very good. I'm not big wine drinker but enjoyed what they served at dinner.

Edited by rogerdawhip