2-Bedroom Family Suite w/ Balcony on the Star

terri1020

Does anyone have a picture (or any information) of the second bedroom (the smaller one) for the 2-Bedroom Family Suite w/balcony on the Star? We're trying to decide if it will work for us.

Thank you in advance for replies.

Edited by terri1020

I don't have a picture but with the bed made up almost the entirety of the space is used. There is a second bunk bed that can come down from the wall. Depending on the size and gender of the kids, two of them could fit on the main bed.

There is a super handy second bathroom in the second bedroom.

We love this cabin, probably our favorite cabin layout on all our cruises. Our favorite balcony was on Holland America however.

Ask me any specific questions you may have.

Does anyone have a picture (or any information) of the second bedroom (the smaller one) for the 2-Bedroom Family Suite w/balcony on the Star? We're trying to decide if it will work for us.

Thank you in advance for replies.

Check YouTube. We have been in a two bedroom on the star, and jewel and the layout is the same on the older fleets and maybe the new ones. It has it's own door, small bathroom with sink, toilet, and shower. I think the sofa is a full bed and a twin bunk that folds down. It has a closet, tv, phone, blow dryer. We love the 2 bedroom...even when me and my husband cruise alone we book this room because it's really a nice cabin! We don't have kids but we take my mom with us sometimes and she stays in the spare room and is happy to have her own private space.

I believe the 2 bedroom suites on the Star are nearly identical to the ones on the Dawn... if you Google NCL Dawn 11020 there's a great youtube video tour of that room... it really only shows the second bedroom at the end, but it does show the layout...

We were in one on the Dawn last year and are booked for next year in one as well, we have 2 teens in the second room and it was perfect to have them have their own space and bathroom, and still have the living room etc...

it's far less plush than the main bedroom though (just a heads up) more like a small inside cabin, with a queen sized lower bed and a pull down bunk.

Yes, the second bedroom is very small, but as mentioned, it's really just for sleeping, anyway. The living room and dining area is quite nice, and there's a door that completely closes off the living area from the master bedroom/bathroom. If I can find my photos, I'll post them here.

How many people are in your party, terri1020? I've heard of people having 5 or 6 in this cabin, (with kids) but I personally think that would be tight. I believe these rooms can also connect to a mini-suite, which would give a family tons of space. The 2 bedroom is perfect with just 4 people, though.

You might also look at the suites up on Deck 12; the bathrooms don't have the view that the SC suites do, but the rooms are quite spacious.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

We are the other 2 sailing with Terri1020. We're 2 couples, and my DH and I recently tried the suite life and are trying to convince T1020 that it's the way to go.

Would two adults be able to sleep comfortably in the 2nd bedroom bed? Or would we need to use the pull down?

2 adults would fit on the main bed in the second bedroom... but to be honest I'm not sure if it would be comfortable... it's not the same as the main bed in suites where you have the really nice plush beds, this is a couch that folds out to a double. My 5'10" 190 lb stepson slept on it alone, his only complaint was it wasn't that comfortable, we had the steward add a memory foam pad which made it ok, but still rather hard, the pads they have vary wildly in effectiveness based on how new they are... but I also had a similar experience with my bed in a regular balcony room on the Gem a few weeks ago... so it's not like you're guarenteed a plush bed in any regular cabin either.

I've heard that the murphy beds in the family suites are pretty comfortable, but then you'd have no real privacy, just curtains...

If it were me, if my option was to sail with my DH in the second bedroom of a suite with all the perks currently included, or to sail in a regular balcony, I would take the second suite bedroom in a heart beat... it's just such a different exprience...

I might however bring along a new (and vacuum sealed so it wouldn't be huge) thick memory foam pad of my own though, and check it in a carryon, even if I had to abandon it when I left, the $100 it cost would be worth it to me... that plus whatever pad they had available would probably make it pretty comfy.

It was really so great to have the separate sleeping and living areas, multiple TV's (4- there's a big one in the main bedroom and living room, small in the second bedroom and bathroom, lol)

I'd suck it up for sure, but I would NOT expect to pay half the cost of the suite either... just sayin :o

Thank you! So it's a full bed and a pull down bunk. This just might work. With the incentive of getting the ultimate beverage and dining packages, OBC and air credit, it makes it even more attractive!

Also remember only 2 people get the Ultimate Beverage Package, I believe the rest get the soda package still (they did on ehte Jan promo, not sure about the Feb one)

I'd suck it up for sure, but I would NOT expect to pay half the cost of the suite either... just sayin :o

Thanks that's EXACTLY what we wanted to hear. Our plan is to split the cost of the cabin equally, and then each spend 5 days in the smaller bedroom, then just ask the steward to change all bed linens on day 6. Each couple will get a soda card and a UBP card too.

Too good of a deal to pass up - it's cheaper than an aft balcony! And, Terri & I have been best friends since high school, so we know we get along LOL

We stayed in a 2bdrm family suite on the Star a few years ago...the topaz suite I think. An SC room: 11050

2nd bedroom is basically an interior cabin without its own corridor door.

Right when you enter your suite, there is a door to the interior cabin.

Enter that door, and you are in a small passageway between the closet area for that bedroom and the bathroom. Bathroom is the same as an interior bathroom, with a shower on one side, a vanity in the middle and a stool on the other. Closet is like an interior cabin: plenty of room for hanging clothes and drawers for non hanging stuff. Another doorway at the end of that passageway takes you into the sleeping area.

A sofa makes into a full size bed, with room only to walk around it on 2 sides. This bed requires a foam pad to be comfortable. Narrow single berth folds down from the wall at the foot of the bed, and a ladder takes up some of the floor space you would use to walk around the bed. We had the steward make the sofa into a bed and never make it back into a sofa.

Bring a nightlight: room is pitch dark with doors closed or too bright with the over head or even the "reading" light on.

TV for the room is a small (very small) TV on a small stand in the corner.

The interior bedroom does not have the same look or feel of the rest of the suite with its fancy wood work and posh fittings.

The balcony was big enough for two loungers and another chair and small table, and we could still walk out the door and walk around.

Table in the suite holds four comfortably, but gets crowded with plates and coffees glasses. If you have more than 4 in the suite, some will end up eating on the sofa or standing up.

There is no room for a rollaway in the interior room, but there is in the living room of the suite. In addition, the sofa in the suite makes up into a single bed.

We loved our room!

One more question - does the 2 BR Family suite w/balcony have access to the Haven deck? I know the penthouse on the Gem did not, said it depends on the ship.

Anyone have info on this?

I don't think the Star has a Haven at all. Check the Deck Plans.

As for ships that do have a Haven, there are often (always?) "suites" and "Haven suites".

Only the "Haven Suites" get Haven access, but all suites get the "suite perks".

GeezerCouple

I don't think the Star has a Haven at all. Check the Deck Plans.

This is correct. The Star doesn't have a Haven area like the newer ships do. A few years ago they added suites on Deck 12, but no Haven.

With 2 couples, I think you'd be fine. Yes, that second bedroom is TINY, but if you're going to switch halfway through anyway, I'd definitely get the suite! The master bathroom alone is worth it, IMHO. :D

The comments about the second bed quality are accurate. Do ask for a topper. Also, I'm not sure when your trip is, but the Star will be in dry dock this March, and I heard they are replacing some (all?) of the mattresses. We'll be on the Star in a 2 bedroom suite right after the dry dock; I'll let you know how the mattresses are.

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer