Cruise Insurance...to buy or not to buy

Your credit card insurance will not pay for everything. Read the fine print. A $50,000 evacuation may not be covered

Personally, I've never had to file a medical claim, but I filed one lost luggage claim and one cancellation due to work reasons. Between the two, I received refunds totaling almost $6,000. Considering that I paid roughly $40pp for the insurance, I would say that not having it would've been a pretty shortsighted decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

How much do you think insurance costs? We didn't start getting it until our 4th cruise. By our 3rd we had so many close calls where we could have needed it that we decided to invest in it on our 4th. I would say our insurance cost us an average of $100 per cruise for 2 to 4 people (kids were free). This covered the plane when we flew and cruise. We've gone on 12 cruises and had 1 cancelled due to a death in the family the day before the cruise. Since we didn't purchase it on our first 3 cruises we have paid around $1,000 in cruise insurance for 10 cruises (9 taken, 1 cancelled). The costs of our cruises and flights that we insured ranged from $1,500(some we drove to, like the one we cancelled) to $4000+. With that in mind, we haven't even paid the insurance company yet for the value of 1 cruise but we have been reimbursed $1800 for the cruise we cancelled.

Unless you were looking to purchase really expensive insurance, which you wouldn't need if your health insurance covers you as you said, I have a hard time believing you could have paid for 3 cruises in what you would have paid for in insurance for the 13 cruises you have listed, unless there are more you don't list. But even then for us to get back 3 cruises in saved travel insurance cost we would have to purchased insurance on a minimum of 45 cruises :eek:. In my experience it is not that expensive. But it is your choice and your risk to take. I'm not going to try to convince you to get it. I'm just pointing out that right now I am ahead of the insurance game and I am glad I get it. Even though I could afford to lose the cost of a cruise having to cancel without it, it sure was nice being able to cancel without feeling the double blow of losing a couple thousand on something we never got at a time when we were mourning the loss of a loved one.

OK, Tapi and Warm Breezes, help me with this. Where are you getting insurance coverage for so little $$? For my cruise coming up the cost is just over $500 for two with a total coverage of $7000 through John Hancock. Every time someone posts insurance cost for so little, I ask about it but so far no one has ever responded!

OK, Tapi and Warm Breezes, help me with this. Where are you getting insurance coverage for so little $$?!

I always compare policies on a website called Insuremytrip. Prices will vary depending on how much your cruise costs, age of the passengers, and what's covered. I don't always buy the same policy because what I need covered changes from one trip to another. For example, on one trip I wanted a policy that covered pregnancy complications (when my wife was pregnant with our second child). On another trip, I wanted a policy that was more liberal with their Cancel for Work Reasons clause (I was up for promotion at my job which meant that my vacation time could change). On our trip to Alaska (where we flew and hauled much more luggage with more valuables) I wanted a policy with better lost luggage coverage, etc, etc.

But overall, the policies are affordable and comprehensive (much cheaper than purchasing them through Carnival). You can compare several policies side by side to make sure that what you want covered is indeed covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You all do realize that someone airlifted off of a ship by the coast guard has no financial obligations to fulfill. Our taxes pay for this service. They will airlift to the "nearest" hospital. If someone wants to go somewhere else they may be billed for additional costs. No one is going to leave someone on a ship to die because they can't pay. I can't believe this old wive's tale still is flying around.

Let's say you are in a Belizean hospital needing surgery from a cave tubing accident... you don't want the local docs cutting on you but would prefer to be transferred to a US hospital. You are out of luck if you don't have MedEvac coverage or a spare $120,000.00 sitting around.

Even worse, let's say you don't have medical coverage. The Caribbean medical facilities won't let you die... but they won't treat you beyond stabilizing you until your family can come up with cash.

The above are very real examples from the news. Besides, WHY should the cruise line and/or Coast Guard be responsible for providing you with health services for FREE? Getting coverage is the responsible thing to do.

I always compare policies on a website called Insuremytrip. Prices will vary depending on how much your cruise costs, age of the passengers, and what's covered. I don't always buy the same policy because what I need covered changes from one trip to another. For example, on one trip I wanted a policy that covered pregnancy complications (when my wife was pregnant with our second child). On another trip, I wanted a policy that was more liberal with their Cancel for Work Reasons clause (I was up for promotion at my job which meant that my vacation time could change). On our trip to Alaska (where we flew and hauled much more luggage with more valuables) I wanted a policy with better lost luggage coverage, etc, etc.

But overall, the policies are affordable and comprehensive (much cheaper than purchasing them through Carnival). You can compare several policies side by side to make sure that what you want covered is indeed covered.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is exactly what I do, but have never ever seen anything for $40 per person.

That is exactly what I do, but have never ever seen anything for $40 per person.

Hmmm. I just went on that site and I entered the same parameters that I used for our last family cruise aboard the Enchantment of the Seas and I found comprehensive policies starting at $58 TOTAL for our family of 4. Once again, I know that several factors are taken into account, but I can usually find some affordable policies.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Tapi

Hmmm. I just went on that site and I entered the same parameters that I used for our last family cruise aboard the Enchantment of the Seas and I found comprehensive policies starting at $58 TOTAL for our family of 4. Once again, I know that several factors are taken into account, but I can usually find some affordable policies.

It depends heavily on your age and where you live. For example, I just checked insuremytrip.com for an imaginary cruise to Mexico that costs $5000 leaving on June 14, 2015 and returning on June 21, 2015.

If you are a family of 4 living in AZ with ages 40, 38, 5, 3 -- the lowest comprehensive policy available is $98 total.

If you are a family of 2 living in OH with ages 70, 68 -- the lowest comprehensive policy available is $250 total.

I am all for purchasing travel insurance, however the past two cruises was took we booked straight with a TA and they handled our insurance. This time I booked our cruise with a Celebrity team member. There is the option to add travel insurance but I was wondering if any of you purchased travel insurance outside the cruise agent or TA? And which company has the best rating?

Thanks

I am all for purchasing travel insurance, however the past two cruises was took we booked straight with a TA and they handled our insurance. This time I booked our cruise with a Celebrity team member. There is the option to add travel insurance but I was wondering if any of you purchased travel insurance outside the cruise agent or TA? And which company has the best rating?

Thanks

Please call Steve at

TripInsuranceStore.com

(Don't just read the plan summaries on his website; the "details" are critical.)

Discuss you complete trip, and what concerns you have, such as trip cancellation, medical/medevac, trip interruption, etc.

Especially important for medical coverage is whether you want a waiver for pre-existing condition exclusions (essential for us and many others), or whether medical coverage is primary or secondary.

They'll explain it all.

GeezerCouple

People give hospitals in the US flack for being expensive, but they don't hold you hostage for money before you can leave. From someone's story on CC about her father's stroke on a ship: the doctor at a hospital in the Bahamas pulled the mother into a broom closet and demanded cash before he would discharge her husband. He had to be flown to the U.S. by medical airplane, no Coast Guard.

You all do realize that someone airlifted off of a ship by the coast guard has no financial obligations to fulfill. Our taxes pay for this service. They will airlift to the "nearest" hospital. If someone wants to go somewhere else they may be billed for additional costs. No one is going to leave someone on a ship to die because they can't pay. I can't believe this old wive's tale still is flying around.

Thank you!! I have purchased cruise insurance in the recent past numerous times, but not anymore. I have read my health insurance policy(I have really good insurance) and credit card policy. If you google trip insurance, warranties and anything similar, this is big business!! Most people purchase coverage that they do not need and do not read the fine print until you need it and realize much is not covered. Cruise line insurance charges for children that are free on other sites. Why? To take your money! Purchasing trip insurance is personal preference, but many really should read the pages of fine print on your old policies before ever purchasing insurance again. why do you think it is fine print?.... HMM?? So you will miss what is really or not really covered.

Please call Steve at

TripInsuranceStore.com

(Don't just read the plan summaries on his website; the "details" are critical.)

Discuss you complete trip, and what concerns you have, such as trip cancellation, medical/medevac, trip interruption, etc.

Especially important for medical coverage is whether you want a waiver for pre-existing condition exclusions (essential for us and many others), or whether medical coverage is primary or secondary.

They'll explain it all.

GeezerCouple

Excellent advise, they are the best and will not upsell;)

My dad always buys trip insurance. Just feels better having it. Get's the whole package.

I never buy it. Do note that our medical insurance has trip evacuation insurance as part of our standard coverage too, so we already have that. Also, we are tied to the school schedule, so let's say we couldn't go on our spring break cruise due to some kind of emergency. It wouldn't be like we could go a different week that year. If we miss our one chance, we're out of luck for that year. And with the way we budget, we'd be able to do a trip next year, so I'd just assume self insure and be out the money in the unlikely chance we can't go. // If you would be upset over this self insure scenario, buy the insurance.

I guess if you had to have your trip interrupted that could be expensive. But for us that's pretty unlikely and we have emergency reserves that could cover us in that unlikely event.

Also, we don't go on expensive cruises. Our cruises are usually pretty moderately priced -- often freebie offers for two people ocean view that we upgrade to balcony and maybe add a third person. So we aren't talking really big money here either.

Edited by kathy884

You get travel insurance for the medical coverage. Health insurances are rarely good outside the US. A simple trip and fall could lead to bankruptcy.

I beg to disagree. I know our insurance though the companies we work for covers emergencies outside of the US. In fact I've never had insurance that didn't cover emergency care out of the United States. We currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield (me) and United Healthcare (DH) both through employers, and emergencies outside of the US are covered.

I read the fine print of any coverage I ever have and have NEVER had a policy that didn't cover emergencies outside of the good ole USA.

I beg to disagree. I know our insurance though the companies we work for covers emergencies outside of the US. In fact I've never had insurance that didn't cover emergency care out of the United States. We currently have Blue Cross Blue Shield (me) and United Healthcare (DH) both through employers, and emergencies outside of the US are covered.

I read the fine print of any coverage I ever have and have NEVER had a policy that didn't cover emergencies outside of the good ole USA.

In regards to this, I asked my HR person if our insurance covers us outside the U.S. and she said that it does if you can find someone who will accept it. I hope I never have to test it.

In regards to this, I asked my HR person if our insurance covers us outside the U.S. and she said that it does if you can find someone who will accept it. I hope I never have to test it.

As someone who did have to test travel ins. may I offer some advice based on experience.

I had done almost 50 trips, never had to use ins, was healthy, senior travelled solo. I bought Ins even though I felt it would never be needed.

Oct 2024. on QM2, walking down hallway dressed up for semi formal evening, feeling fine, when wham I was hit by stroke. Short story, was rushed to medical centre, received treatment, then off loaded to hospital in Belgium. Ship sailed off without me of course.

Ins needed to pay for unused cruise days , total 12 , hospital in Belgium , no one spoke English , I had trouble speaking, no use of left hand, arm, leg, all alone , 7,000 + miles from home. My ins did cover, medical, costs, almost $4000, lost days another $4000, but the REALLY BIG ADDITIONAL COVER WAS getting back to USA.

Ins sent nurse to Belgium , with medical needs, she took care of everything for trip home. Car to airport , Business class trip 13 hours from Brussels to Fort Myers, car to hospital in Port Charlotte Florida. Very BIG $$$$ cost, not to mention personal care.

Buying Ins was the smartest thing I have ever done. My days for cruising are over, big regret, but I still scan these sites.

Have wonderful trips everyone but believe me Ins is never a waste of money, just be sure, it covers, ALL possible costs, but ABOVE ALL GETTING YOU HOME. Very essential

You may have to wait for claim, to be paid, that is a real pain in the rear, but worth the wait in the end. My guess is that the total cost of my stroke was close to $20,000 .

As someone who did have to test travel ins. may I offer some advice based on experience.

I had done almost 50 trips, never had to use ins, was healthy, senior travelled solo. I bought Ins even though I felt it would never be needed.

Oct 2024. on QM2, walking down hallway dressed up for semi formal evening, feeling fine, when wham I was hit by stroke. Short story, was rushed to medical centre, received treatment, then off loaded to hospital in Belgium. Ship sailed off without me of course.

Ins needed to pay for unused cruise days , total 12 , hospital in Belgium , no one spoke English , I had trouble speaking, no use of left hand, arm, leg, all alone , 7,000 + miles from home. My ins did cover, medical, costs, almost $4000, lost days another $4000, but the REALLY BIG ADDITIONAL COVER WAS getting back to USA.

Ins sent nurse to Belgium , with medical needs, she took care of everything for trip home. Car to airport , Business class trip 13 hours from Brussels to Fort Myers, car to hospital in Port Charlotte Florida. Very BIG $$$$ cost, not to mention personal care.

Buying Ins was the smartest thing I have ever done. My days for cruising are over, big regret, but I still scan these sites.

Have wonderful trips everyone but believe me Ins is never a waste of money, just be sure, it covers, ALL possible costs, but ABOVE ALL GETTING YOU HOME. Very essential

You may have to wait for claim, to be paid, that is a real pain in the rear, but worth the wait in the end. My guess is that the total cost of my stroke was close to $20,000 .

Jimsgirl,

We are, again, so glad that you got the insurance payments.

What you experienced is among the worst situations, because you were alone. I can't even imagine.

We now have MedJetAssist for that "trip home" should something traumatic happen, and it's a bit scary to realize that something unexpected could have happened at any time in previous travels. We have the annual plan, so we are covered for "regular" business/family visits/weekend trips/etc., as well as the "big trips".

But I have a small comment about your writing that your cruising days are over - and please forgive me if this is out of line...

We've thought about this potential change in the future, as we age (and age alone wouldn't be the cause; things can happen at any age, especially accidents).

*IF* you are "fit to travel" in terms of health, but can't travel because of the impairments from your stroke, have you considered taking someone with you as an attendant?

It could be a friend or a nurse taking some vacation time, etc.

Yes, it would be very expensive, like doubling the cost of if you were traveling alone, or more, given the "paid" part for a professional.

But this might allow you to travel 1/2 or 1/4 as often, rather than not at all.

(The costs would depend upon whether the person took partial pay as the trip/experience itself, whether an inside cabin was suitable - presumably yes! - or whether you'd need to have someone share a suite to be closer to you all the time. Many possibilities, IF your health allows travel at all.)

All of this would, of course, require that your physician give you a letter stating (IN WRITING) that you *are* "fit to travel" on the day that you take out the travel insurance, for obvious reasons.

And also double check that insurance about pre-existing conditions anyway.

I think the "Cruising with Disabilities" section of CruiseCritic might be the place to look if others have suggestions about this.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190

Here is something on CruiseCritic about this (a starting point):

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1685048&highlight=paid+attendant

And here is another site that might be informative about the possibilities:

http://www.disabledtravelers.com/travel_companions.htm

Again, very sorry if this is intruding.

GeezerCouple

Thanks to you all for sharing your insights, opinions, and personal experiences. It gives us the opportunity to see all sides of an issue or topic. Hadn't even thought about what my health carrier would cover outside of the US until I started readings the posts. I've always gotten the trip insurance from Carnival and never considered an outside company...until cruise critic. :)

Yea! for the risk takers who opt to go without travel insurance. However...I'm a 'what-if' person and avoid as much risk as possible. 30 years in insurance, claims no less; handled some things that...would make your head spin. Planning for my trip (63 days/21hrs/49mins - yes I'm counting!!) and thought back to the young man that got hurt on an ATV during our last cruise. He was bandaged up and continued the trip - but what if he'd gotten really broken up and had to be hospitalized and/or medi-vac'd back to the US? I began reading the posts, checked out the recommended sites, was able to get policy with CSA, much higher limits and broader range of coverages...for $110 less than the lower limit policy with the cruise line.

Thanks again for all of the information you guys provide.

happy cruising!!

In Oct my husband and I were on a cruise in the Caribbean and my husband had a heart attack on the ship. He is only 57 and we thought physically fit and healthy. We had to have a medical jet come to Cozumel which cost 50000.00 thankfully we had Princess insurance.It was the best 50.00 I ever spent for the insurance. They have covered about 80000.00 in bills so far. I will never leave the states again without it.

We have been on 30 cruises and we always purchase travel insurance. Our most recent cruise would have left on Jan 9th however our flight was cancelled and we were unable to get to the port in time to make the sailing.

We had insurance through Allianz Global Assistance and have not had a good experience in the way they have handled our claim.

According to the policy, if a flight is cancelled, you are covered under their "missed connection" rules. In this case, it was easy to verify that the flight was cancelled and that we attempted to get another flight but to no avail. (Under a missed connection, you are limited in your coverage to only $800 per person.)

We filed the claim with Allianz Global Assistance immediately. Their policy states that they will respond within 10 business days. It took them 20 days to respond but only to ask for more documentation. I sent the additional info to them 10 days ago and still have no disposition of the claim.

We have used Allianz Global Assistance many times before for our previous cruises. We have never had an occasion to file a claim. Insurance is like that; you never know how good it is until you have to file to get money back.

We are very unsatisfied with the service that we have received thus far and continue to wait for Allianz to reply.

When the flight was cancelled, the first thing that we said was "Well at least we are covered by the insurance". Now we are not so sure that we will ever get anything back.

We have been on 30 cruises and we always purchase travel insurance. Our most recent cruise would have left on Jan 9th however our flight was cancelled and we were unable to get to the port in time to make the sailing.

We had insurance through Allianz Global Assistance and have not had a good experience in the way they have handled our claim.

According to the policy, if a flight is cancelled, you are covered under their "missed connection" rules. In this case, it was easy to verify that the flight was cancelled and that we attempted to get another flight but to no avail. (Under a missed connection, you are limited in your coverage to only $800 per person.)

We filed the claim with Allianz Global Assistance immediately. Their policy states that they will respond within 10 business days. It took them 20 days to respond but only to ask for more documentation. I sent the additional info to them 10 days ago and still have no disposition of the claim.

We have used Allianz Global Assistance many times before for our previous cruises. We have never had an occasion to file a claim. Insurance is like that; you never know how good it is until you have to file to get money back.

We are very unsatisfied with the service that we have received thus far and continue to wait for Allianz to reply.

When the flight was cancelled, the first thing that we said was "Well at least we are covered by the insurance". Now we are not so sure that we will ever get anything back.

This is a learning experience no one wants! It's so hard to read the details of a policy and understand what coverage applies when. I hope you're able to recover more than you expect.

I filed a claim for my parents who had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons. It took months to get paid, but I wasn't surprised as doctors had to fill out information requests. Before we ever heard that they were paying, my mother received a check reimbursing all cruise fare and airfare.

This next trip, #1 I hope I don't have to use any insurance and #2 I got insurance through the trip insurance store where they vet the companies and policies ahead of time.

This is a learning experience no one wants! It's so hard to read the details of a policy and understand what coverage applies when. I hope you're able to recover more than you expect.

I filed a claim for my parents who had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons. It took months to get paid, but I wasn't surprised as doctors had to fill out information requests. Before we ever heard that they were paying, my mother received a check reimbursing all cruise fare and airfare.

This next trip, #1 I hope I don't have to use any insurance and #2 I got insurance through the trip insurance store where they vet the companies and policies ahead of time.

We purchased a TravelInsured policy through TripInsuranceStore.com for our first major trip.

And less than 2 weeks before we were to leave home, DH had a medical emergency, and everything got cancelled.

We took quite a while focusing on the medical problems, but once we submitted the paperwork, the claim was paid without any funny business.

We will continue to purchase policies from through TripInsuranceStore.com, from insurers that Steve has vetted.

No point having paid for insurance... if they don't pay when the coverage is needed.

GeezerCouple