Must see in the Mediterranean

ce_cruise

Here's our plans so far:

Barcelona - ??? (There are some good ideas here - thank you!)

Messina - Tour Taormina

Naples - visit Pompeii, plus whatever else we have time for (Sorrento? Naples?)

Civitavecchia /Rome - hit the main sites (recommend getting the Roma Pass if you plan to do your own thing, it will pay for itself!)

Livorno - visit Pisa and Lucca (we loved Florence but have been there and we're not sure the youngest would enjoy it as much as I'd love to return)

Marseilles - not sure yet, possibly tour to Aix-en-Provence

Next cruise: Carnival Vista - July 2016

I get the ease factor but the cost if very prohibitive for my family. There are 6 of us and most ports are 550E which at today's exchnage is almost $700! No way we can afford that added to the cost of the cruise, airfare, hotels, etc. If people can afford it that is great for them but we are saving as much and fast as we can and unless we stop eating altogether and my kid stops growing and doesn't need clothes for the next year and half then maybe we could do it :D

I can definitely understand that. It was pretty prohibitive for us too and we were only 4.

I sympathize. A Mediterranean Cruise was cost prohibitive for us too till we were 60. Everyone should consider the cost of shore excursions when figuring projected cost. Cost for travel insurance should not be forgotten either. You will need it when traveling abroad....particularly medical coverage since your policy at home won't always cover you abroad. You need to check your policy for sure.

Here's what we did last time.

Dubrovnik, we caught a taxi at the port it was €50 for a 1 hour tour and a drop off at the old city gate. I bought tickets for the wall before we left.

Athens, there were taxi's available in port, we walked outside of the port past the hop on hop off buses and haggled with a driver for a taxi tour. It cost €80. He took us to the thing on the hill, the museum, Zeus temple, arrived at the right time to see changing the guard and then 2 hours shopping time in Athens on the Plaka, plus the Olympic stadium and he showed us where the new one was, downside not very chatty as he couldn't speak much English.

Izmir, taxis available in port, but again walked outside of the gate, haggled with 4 different drivers managed to get the price down to five euros from 15 to take us into town we walked around the Grand Bazzar, supper time, I love Turkey and I told the drivers I had been to Turkey many times and I knew they were charging too much. In the end I think one took pity on me.

Naples, we caught the hydrofoil to Sorrento and then took the road train to get our bearings, loved that place, we have been to Capri before, where I would love to do the Blue Grotto if I went again.

Rome just walked around the port and took advantage of an empty boat, we don't care for Rome.

Messina, again taxi's available to share and signs in the port with prices, I did my usual thing walked out of the port and some really old guy latched onto us. We paid €90 for a ride to Messina with an hour there. If I went again I would want three hours, beautiful place. My friends did a tour here and I think I would splash the cash to do that next time and see more of beautiful Sicily.

Livorno - this port was a nightmare, bus into town, bus to the train station, train to Lucca, hired bikes for €15 for three of us, I think it was. Train to Pissa, then walked to the wrong station Central not Rosse to get the train back, bus and bus. Lucca is beautiful I recommend going here. i have also been to Cinque Terre, but it's a bit of a longer treat from Livorno, again beautiful.

Marseilles, we hired a Tuk, Tuk with driver and took a tour of Marseilles great fun.

Barca, hop on hop off bus over two days to see the sights.

Avignon is about a 70 minute drive from Marseille. We plan on renting a car and driving there plus stops at Pont Du Gard and/or Les Baux. I have also seen some private tours that go there as well.

Hi suzQ28. I notice you are on the same cruise as us. We do have a roll call started if you are interested. It looks like you know a bit about the Mediterranean. Your input is appreciated. :)

Avignon is about a 70 minute drive from Marseille. We plan on renting a car and driving there plus stops at Pont Du Gard and/or Les Baux. I have also seen some private tours that go there as well.

Thanks. The kids want to "dance on the bridge". I told them I wasn't guaranteeing anything but we'll see.

We did 5 days in Barcelona before the cruise. The first full day we knew we would be tired after the fligts so we did a wine tour north of the city. We took day trips to the Dali home and museum, to Ft. Louie in france, to Baga, Spain and Andorra and we toured all over Barcelona itself. I loved everything in Barcelona. Walking the Ramblas, eating gelatos and drinking coffees, lat night dinners. To be honest I am not a huge fan of Gaudi architecture but I loved Parc Guell and La Sagrada all the same. We took the funicular up the hill then walked down. We went to a Flemenco show at Tablea Carmen. We walked the Gothic quarter and tasted foods from all over. There is really so much to do in Barcelona, I can't imagine trying to do it all in a day. Do yourself a favor and don't try to fit everything in. Just pick a few things and then just spend time wandering as that was truly the best part of our time in Barcelona.

In Marseilles we took the free bus to the old port, met a friend of ours for some pastries and coffee, took a boat tour of the Collonques then had a little lunch there on the harbor, picked up some soaps and spices and headed back to the ship.

In Livorno we had a private tour guide. He took us first thing to Pisa. We beat the crowd and got our obligatory pics and a coffee and pastry then were on our way to Florence. Again we beat the most of the crowds, walked around a little, took some amazing pics above the city, walked around a few amazing buildings and were on our way. Our driver took us to Vinci where we walked around a bit, had sandwiches cocacolas from a shop and learned quite a bt about Leonardo and about pottery. Next we drove through the Tuscan countryside and then had some wine tastings. Our driver returned us back to the port in plenty of time. This was with Giovanni with Sunflower Tours. Since it was just the 2 of us it was the most expensive tour but it was completly amazing and totally personalized.

In Rome we took a Rome in Limo tour with 10 other people from our ship. It was really great. We had the Rome highlights tour. I defwoud reccomend this tour if you have never been to Rome and it is worth the extra money to get guide at the Vatican.

The next day was Naples. We went on another Rome in Limos tour this time with 6 others. We drop to Postiano first. Let me tell you that the Amalfi Coast is probably the most spctacular place I have ever seen and all the pictures and videos you see do not even give it close to justice. It's so beautiful that it is almost surreal. One warning here is that if you have mobility issues know that cars are only allowed so far down then you have to walk down and then back up... the back up is a lot harder than it looks especially if you are already dragging from a hard day in Rome the day before and lots of partying on the ship lol. After Postiano we drove through some amazing sites and then worked our way to Sorento. We had lunch (with the obligatory shot of Limoncello) then walked around Sorento on our own for a few hours. In Sorento there is an amazing little magic alley where they give you all kinds of samples of Limoncello and Lemon Creme liquor, Pistachio Cream Liquor etc... it was amazing... but the more you drink usually the more you buy... I came home with a LOT of Limoncello, several scarves, some shoes and sme candied almonds all thanks to that alley :P The other thing to remember is that Pompeii is AFTER Sorento... and Pompeii is hot and dry and a LOT of walking.... I def reccomend not being drunk for it lol but we still enjoyed it a lot... of course we also got very lost on the way out

We had a sea day then Dubrovnik was the next port. We took a tour with Tours By Locals here. It was us and a family of 3 from our cruise. Our tour guide was named Sandra and she and the driver took us over the border to Bosnia. We visited a monestary and winery. Then we walked around a small city center and famers market. We tasted local cheeses and olives and brandy. We had lunch at a local restaurant that I'm not sure had ever seen Americans before then we drove back into Croatia for an afternoon tour of Dubrovik and another wine tasting.

We had 2 days in Venice. The first day we were tired so we stayed on the ship. The next day we took a tour over to Murano and Burano. We saw lace and glass being made and we walked around and had snacks. After the tour we had a pizza lunch on the water then returned to the ship.

Our last port was messina. We took a tax tour with another couple from the ship over to Taromina. We walked around ad it is truly lovely there. I can't imagine spending more than a few hours here though. After that our driver took us to a little restaurant in the hills in Castelmola then we walked around that city for a while before returning to the port. On the way back he stopped at a tiny bakery and my husband had what he said was the best canoli of his life.

When we got back to Barcelona we had a tour that picked us up and took us up to Montserrat for a tour then dropped us at the hotel.

After 17 days of vacation we were exchausted but I don't regret a single thing we did and I can't imagine you will regret anything you choose to do.

This trip I have not even began to decide on yet. We have a few new ports so I guess I have plenty of time to plan thankfully :)

We have been on 3 other Med cruises, 2 with kids. I know lots of people love private tours with RomeinLimo, etc., but with a family a 5, we try to save $ where we can DIY and spend it when it is logistically too difficult to DIY.

Naples is VERY easy to DIY by train to Pompeii and Herculaneum (if you want) on the way back. Just google or search on these forums and you can get step-by-step with photos. For kids/teens, in the heat, Pompeii and H and back to the ship are a good day without adding Sorrento to the mix. Kids are free at Pompeii and H and an all day transport pass is 8 euros. We have done this 2X--safe (IMHO) and easy-plus we are on own schedule to come/go. This year we are going to hydro foil to Sorrento and train back to hit H, which the kids skipped the last time.

Livorno is also an easy DIY, either to 1/2 day Pisa (buy timed climb tickets in advance), 3/4 day Lucca and then back to Pisa, or all day Florence. Buy train tickets 1 week in advance on trenitalia.com. They are good for a 4 hr window, so set your time around 8am (good until noon on the outbound) and your earliest estimated return time-then good for 4 hrs after that. This saves A LOT of time at the train station, and possibly helps you get on the train an hour earlier. Lucca is a very neat city. You can rent bikes and ride along the wall--which is very wide, like a small park. If you have done the above, I highly recommend Cinque Terre. We did a ship's tour b/c of the train times. It is an awesome place, a photographer's dream.

In Marseille, we did ship's tour of Aix and Avignon b/c of the distance and DH didn't want to rent a car, plus as PP said, port buses were 15 euros, so our tour was only about $50 more than that.

In Barcelona, I highly recommend Fat Tire bike tour if you have the time--it is awesome and inexpensive. We have done it 2X. They have kids/jr bikes, but our suburban 11 yr old was a bit scared of biking in a city--so I would say this tour is good for 13+. It is not strenuous. We had a group of 60 yr olds with us.

For those flying from the US, keep in mind that you can fly to another city before/after your cruise and do a few days land, to take full advantage of that high airfare over the pond. Last year, we ended a cruise in Rome, then flew on EasyJet for under $100 each to Paris for a few days. Next year, we plan to fly to/from Barcelona to another land-locked city for a few days. BCN has many inexpensive flights to other cities in Europe. We have also done London pre-cruise.

Elaine

Edited by elaine5

Livorno is also an easy DIY, either to 1/2 day Pisa (buy timed climb tickets in advance), 3/4 day Lucca and then back to Pisa, or all day Florence. Buy train tickets 1 week in advance on trenitalia.com. They are good for a 4 hr window, so set your time around 8am (good until noon on the outbound) and your earliest estimated return time-then good for 4 hrs after that. This saves A LOT of time at the train station, and possibly helps you get on the train an hour earlier. Lucca is a very neat city. You can rent bikes and ride along the wall--which is very wide, like a small park. If you have done the above, I highly recommend Cinque Terre. We did a ship's tour b/c of the train times. It is an awesome place, a photographer's dream.

Elaine

This is great to hear as I was thinking of doing Pisa & Luca by train. Besides the leaning tower in Pisa what is a must see? Same for Luca, what is a must see?

Lucca is a smallish walled town. There is a cathedral, but it was closed for restoration when we were there a few years ago. Just cross over from the train station and go thru the gate into the town. There used to be bike rentals near the entrance, I think. We just walked around, shopped, ate, etc. in the town, then walked around the wall part of the way. My kids like to climb towers; I think there are 2 in Lucca.

Then, take the train back to Pisa and either take the tourist bus for 1 euro or so to the leaning tower, or walk thru Pisa (very nice, safe) to the tower, depending on your time. You can climb the tower and visit the other religious buildings on the square. There is very good gelato/slushies right behind the tower.

It's a nice, low key, inexpensive day vs "must sees" except for the leaning tower. We enjoyed walking thru Pisa (20 minutes) from the train to the tower and then we took a slightly different route walking back. After almost missing a train on a prior trip due to the long ticket line, our last trip, we bought our train tickets and printed out from home ahead of time (5 euros or so each way). We were able to get off the port shuttle bus, run, and literally jump on the train. If we had not had tickets in hand, it would have at least 30+ more minutes for the next train.

Edited by elaine5

There is a bus into the town for a fee. However, we found another couple wanting to go to Mt. Srd and grabbed a cab to get there before it was crowded. When we arrived maybe 15 people there. After we came down we just walked into the walled city. So if you get off right away grab a cab you won't be sorry you did. Can't remember what the charge was split by 2 couples. But I don't think it was To much.

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, this is a great thread! Thanks everyone for sharing your plans and experiences. We haven't been in the Med and I have no idea what to do in any port except for Rome.

I just started researching about our Mediterranean cruise for Summer 2016. We actually haven't booked yet since were still undecided between Athens-Barcelona (June - 10 days) or Barcelona RT (July - 8 days).

I love the itinerary for Athens-Barcelona (10 days) but worried about all the additional costs.

Edited by aquarianne11

Wow, this is a great thread! Thanks everyone for sharing your plans and experiences. We haven't been in the Med and I have no idea what to do in any port except for Rome.

I just started researching about our Mediterranean cruise for Summer 2016. We actually haven't booked yet since were still undecided between Athens-Barcelona (June - 10 days) or Barcelona RT (July - 8 days).

I love the itinerary for Athens-Barcelona (10 days) but worried about all the additional costs.

It really is easy to figure out what you would like to do in the ports by just grabbing a travel guide at the library and/or reading in the ports of call thread. And this thread has been phenomenal as well!

As far as the extra costs go, those are usually the excursions and there are so many ports on the itinerary you mention that can be DIY you can really manage those costs fairly easily.

It really is easy to figure out what you would like to do in the ports by just grabbing a travel guide at the library and/or reading in the ports of call thread. And this thread has been phenomenal as well!

As far as the extra costs go, those are usually the excursions and there are so many ports on the itinerary you mention that can be DIY you can really manage those costs fairly easily.

Thanks for your help! I have read some of your posts in the other threads as well and they were very helpful. We will definitely DIY some of the port stops and keep some of the days lighter so we can enjoy the ship.

I definitely need to read a lot more and to focus on the must do's. We will be traveling with an 8 yr old (by the time of the cruise) so we have some limits when it comes to walking.

Thanks for your help! I have read some of your posts in the other threads as well and they were very helpful. We will definitely DIY some of the port stops and keep some of the days lighter so we can enjoy the ship.

I definitely need to read a lot more and to focus on the must do's. We will be traveling with an 8 yr old (by the time of the cruise) so we have some limits when it comes to walking.

I noticed that you had mentioned June 21, 2016. We have a roll call, jump over there and take a look. There is already some DIY excursions set up looking for people to join them.

As for the costs, we are looking at this as a once in a lifetime trip so we have started cutting corners now and starting to save the extra $ for the trip. :p

I noticed that you had mentioned June 21, 2016. We have a roll call, jump over there and take a look. There is already some DIY excursions set up looking for people to join them.

As for the costs, we are looking at this as a once in a lifetime trip so we have started cutting corners now and starting to save the extra $ for the trip. :p

Thank you! I just finished reading the entire roll call thread for June 21, 2016. What a great and active group, we would really love to join you guys!

That's what I'm thinking too. This trip will probably be our only chance to cruise the Med so better make it count since we are already spending $$$ on the airfares.

The Barcelona RT seems easier to do and but I would really like to see Greece as well.

Edited by aquarianne11

:( Jealous :( The May 24 roll call is pretty quiet right now. Hoping it will start picking up.

We are only planning a couple of tours. Florence with RIL and Izmir. I will probably just go to RIL's website and either start or join a tour for Florence. I haven't done enough research on Izmir yet to decide how we will handle that one.

I got some excellent info on getting to Capri from Naples on a thread I started in the Italy ports of call section complete with video!!!!!! We DIY'd Rome the last time so are comfortable with that as well as Marseille.

Cannot WAIT to be back in Barcelona!!

Thank you! I just finished reading the entire roll call thread for June 21, 2016. What a great and active group, we would really love to join you guys!

That's what I'm thinking too. This trip will probably be our only chance to cruise the Med so better make it count since we are already spending $$$ on the airfares.

The Barcelona RT seems easier to do and but I would really like to see Greece as well.

We're on the June 21 sailing with ce_cruise. We did book some private excursions but I am rethinking a couple. With the research I have done I really think we can DIY all but Izmir and Taormina (no public transportation from Messina on Sundays). We also decided to drop Florence due to distance and will focus on Lucca/Pisa. I think making adjustments for cost and length of travel will not make the trip any less exciting or memorable. So come join us!

We're on the June 21 sailing with ce_cruise. We did book some private excursions but I am rethinking a couple. With the research I have done I really think we can DIY all but Izmir and Taormina (no public transportation from Messina on Sundays). We also decided to drop Florence due to distance and will focus on Lucca/Pisa. I think making adjustments for cost and length of travel will not make the trip any less exciting or memorable. So come join us!

Hi! Thanks so much! I would really love to join you guys on the June 21 sailing! The itinerary is amazing!

We would like to DIY some of the ports as well so save on costs and to make some days lighter. We also need to enjoy the beautiful new ship! :D

Did you book the Early Saver fare?

Since the early saver is the best price, we want to be 100% sure first before we book anything.

Edited by aquarianne11