Must see in the Mediterranean

ce_cruise

So I have started my research on things to do on our cruise. I figured if people who have been to a Mediterranean port could share their Must see or do's then I will have some great idea's to research. Thank you for sharing! :)

Ideally if it was me I would try to arrive on the Sunday find a hotel near the centre of Athens and get over any jet lag

Mon Jun 20 Athens (Piraeus), Greece I would do a full day guided tour including the Acropolis, Temple of Zues and changing of the guard

Tue Jun 21 Athens (Piraeus), Greece explore independently around the hotel area then transfer early to the ship

Wed Jun 22 Izmir, Turkey 8:00am 6:00pm Never been but have heard you can tour Epheseus doing that this year

Thu Jun 23 Rhodes, Greece 8:00am 5:00pm Never been but my wife said the old town is nice to explore

Fri Jun 24 At Sea

Sat Jun 25 Valletta, Malta 8:00am 5:00pm Never been but my mother in law said the old town is nice to explore

Sun Jun 26 Messina, Sicily, Italy 8:00am 6:00pm Never been

Mon Jun 27 Naples (Capri), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm Pompei, Vesuvius,Capri Sorento and the Amalfi coast

Tue Jun 28 Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy 7:00am 8:00pm Colloseum, Romad Forum, Trevi Fountain, St Peters

Wed Jun 29 Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy 7:00am 7:00pm Florence and or the Leaning Tower of Pisa

Thu Jun 30 Marseille, France 9:00am 6:00pm A lot go to Provence we found the harbour area stunning and is probably the only stop we will revisit.

Fri Jul 1 Barcelona, Spain Book a flight for Saturday and spend Friday touring round Barcelona Gaudi, Las ramblas both day and night, Gothic quarter.

There is so much to see and do just accept you will not do anyone port in a day :eek: and just pick and choose what is important to you :D

So I have started my research on things to do on our cruise. I figured if people who have been to a Mediterranean port could share their Must see or do's then I will have some great idea's to research. Thank you for sharing! :)

I think Croatia was the biggest surprise to us. It is not to be missed. The scenery, food, old town charm was a big treat.

Edited by rocking-m-cruiser

Barcelona is an amazing city and one you would enjoy spending some time in. It is very tourist friendly and also very walkable.

Sagrada Familia - book tickets online and skip the line!

Montserrat - absolutely breathtaking - you can DIY this or book a tour.

Gaudi - pick one house, Battlo or Pedrera.

Parc Guell - incredible - and the views of the city are breathtaking - take a cab, it's on a steep hill.

La Rambla go early enough that all the markets are still open - that candy shop is not to be missed! But be careful, you can spend a lot of money there!

There is a money exchange on La Rambla with low fees and it is very easy to use.

We also went to the aquarium, the mall, Parc de la Ciutadella and the Columbus Monument.

We have done all of the ports on the second half of the cruise and are excited about going back to do what we missed the first time.

DIY Rome - just book a ticket on the fast train ahead of time and you will be all set getting in and out of Rome from the port.

Naples - you simply cannot do it all. Choose either Capri or the Amalfi Coast.

Marseille - we went to the old port by cab and went to Notre Dame de la Garde via Le Petit Train - it was awesome. This time we will either go to the port again and go to Chateau d'If or we may try an excursion to the Colanques.

Edited by BaseballMomof4

Barcelona is an amazing city and one you would enjoy spending some time in. It is very tourist friendly and also very walkable.

Sagrada Familia - book tickets online and skip the line!

Montserrat - absolutely breathtaking - you can DIY this or book a tour.

Gaudi - pick one house, Battlo or Pedrera.

Parc Guell - incredible - and the views of the city are breathtaking - take a cab, it's on a steep hill.

La Rambla go early enough that all the markets are still open - that candy shop is not to be missed! But be careful, you can spend a lot of money there!

There is a money exchange on La Rambla with low fees and it is very easy to use.

We also went to the aquarium, the mall, Parc de la Ciutadella and the Columbus Monument.

We have done all of the ports on the second half of the cruise and are excited about going back to do what we missed the first time.

DIY Rome - just book a ticket on the fast train ahead of time and you will be all set getting in and out of Rome from the port.

Naples - you simply cannot do it all. Choose either Capri or the Amalfi Coast.

Marseille - we went to the old port by cab and went to Notre Dame de la Garde via Le Petit Train - it was awesome. This time we will either go to the port again and go to Chateau d'If or we may try an excursion to the Colanques.

Montserrat was spectacular! Getting up there is not for the feint of heart.:eek:

Here is what we are tentatively planning. We want to keep some days light so we can get back to the ship early and enjoy the many features. Plus with a teen/preteen we will need some pool time.

Athens:

Sunday: Arrival day, Plaka and/or Syntagma Square (I suffer horribly from jetlag and will need a nap)

Monday: (public holiday all close at 3pm) Acroplis, Agora, Temple of Olympian Zeus

Izmir: Ephesus with Terrace Houses, Artemission Temple (deciding between shuttle service with no guide or private van with guide using Ephesus Shuttle)

Rhodes: Old Town, Jewish Museum, maybe the beach

Valletta: No clue yet

Messina: No clue yet

Naples: Pompeii, then back to Naples for pizza

Rome: Coliseum with underground tour, Forum, Palatine Hill, Pantheon, Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps

Livorno: Leaning Tower of Pisa, Lucca maybe

Marseille: No clue yet but picking up lots of croissants and baguettes! Must find an Amorino too for my favorite gelato. I usually bring butter back too but no where to freeze this time

Barcelona (2 days): Parc Guell, La Rambla, walk around Sagrada Familia (we don't really have interest in going in), Sinagoga Mayor and Jewish Quarter, maybe the beach

Doing the last med cruise and was so hoping Croatia was on the list of ports. If you go there take a taxi to cable car for great views then walk into the old town. Did Messina and took a tour to Toarmina . Charming to just walk thru on your own then meet back up with the bus. While we were there Mt. Etna was spewing. Naples we did hop on hop off bus but will plan for Pompeii or amalfi coast this time. Whatever you do you'll always want to go back for more.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been on 3 med cruises different ports. I'll rate some of the ports 10 being the best,

Naples ( surprise to me) sorrento positano. 10

Barcelona. 10

Cinque de terre 9. ( Florence port)

Florence 8

Athens 6( was very excited but too dirty and just not what I expected)

Kotor 8-9

Dubrovnik 8

Santorini 9

Mykonos 7

Istanbul...going in July...very excited

Rome. 8

Venice. 9

Messina ( Taoromina). 10. Surprised me

Lisbon 8. But Sintra 10

There's more but those are the main ones....

Totally my opinion...I know everyone is different!!

When we were there last we used Rome in limo and the tours were shared with others. Fantastic ! Going this year and using them again. Also used Sicily in limo and had a fantastic tour of Mt. Etna and Taoromina. Anther great tour. Planning for the cruise is fun and use your roll call here on CC to see what others are doing. Lots of sites to check and I usually start with Trip Advisor.

To be perfectly honest I have never been greatly impressed with both Rome and Florence....however Pisa is simply wonderfully quirky with its old town walls and markets surrounding the tower and church. Also do not forget Capri! It is Italian paradise!

As in all my ports my main thing is to buy a beer/wine/spirit that is special to there and eat whatever local food I can.

Any cheap pizza you buy in Italy will be simply amazing by the way and whatever you do dont drink Moretti beer...it tastes like urine. Buy even the cheapest local wine and its fabulous. Same with parts of Spain its all about the wine and the cheap local eats with tapas for less then $4 per plate.

I er...do adore at the sights but I am a foodie first.

When we were there last we used Rome in limo and the tours were shared with others. Fantastic ! Going this year and using them again. Also used Sicily in limo and had a fantastic tour of Mt. Etna and Taoromina. Anther great tour. Planning for the cruise is fun and use your roll call here on CC to see what others are doing. Lots of sites to check and I usually start with Trip Advisor.

Definitely will use our Roll Call and Trip advisor. I figured this was a unique way for people on any one of the Vista's Mediterranean cruises to share their experiences with other Mediterranean cruises no matter what date their cruise was.

Is the name of the company "Rome in Limo"? Was this a DIY that left from Civatavecchia?

Definitely will use our Roll Call and Trip advisor. I figured this was a unique way for people on any one of the Vista's Mediterranean cruises to share their experiences with other Mediterranean cruises no matter what date their cruise was.

Is the name of the company "Rome in Limo"? Was this a DIY that left from Civatavecchia?

Rome In Limo is a company that provides drivers for private transportation as a shore excursion (http://www.romeinlimo.com). A Lot of people use them but I can't fathom the price for basically just car service when I can do it a lot cheaper on my own. I know we are going to have to use some kind of service like this for Ephesus and probably Messina if we want to do Mt Etna. We can probably afford it for 2 ports but definitely not for all of them.

This is a great thread. Since I am doing the last 2 Meds and the TA, some ports are repeated on the 2 Meds, so it should give me time to see everything I want to see. I went to Rome for 3 days prior to a TA in 2011, but all the other ports are brand new.

Thanks everyone for all great recommendations.

Rome In Limo is a company that provides drivers for private transportation as a shore excursion (http://www.romeinlimo.com). A Lot of people use them but I can't fathom the price for basically just car service when I can do it a lot cheaper on my own. I know we are going to have to use some kind of service like this for Ephesus and probably Messina if we want to do Mt Etna. We can probably afford it for 2 ports but definitely not for all of them.

Here's the thing about Rome in Limo. We used them for Naples and had them booked for Florence. They were waiting for us as we got off the ship with a lovely van. We got to do Pompeii AND Sorrento AND Positano during a much shorter time frame than we will have on this itinerary. Our driver was a local, spoke great English and was gave us tons of information about what we were seeing. And you can determine the price by the size of your party. We chose 8 so we could have a little more personalized group so we paid a little more than those who chose the bus sized group. They are more than worth it with the knowledge that you WILL see what is promised and you WILL get back to the ship on time ;)

Here is what we are tentatively planning. We want to keep some days light so we can get back to the ship early and enjoy the many features. Plus with a teen/preteen we will need some pool time.

Izmir: Ephesus with Terrace Houses, Artemission Temple (deciding between shuttle service with no guide or private van with guide using Ephesus Shuttle)

Barcelona (2 days): Parc Guell, La Rambla, walk around Sagrada Familia (we don't really have interest in going in), Sinagoga Mayor and Jewish Quarter, maybe the beach

We will probably do the same in Izmir.

The inside of Sagrada Familia is amazing, you might give it a try. The online tickets are pretty cheap.

6942_10201450088358409_1948895815_n.jpg?oh=763974b715ce99b9ecc3c978359b0cec&oe=55639A86

Here's the thing about Rome in Limo. We used them for Naples and had them booked for Florence. They were waiting for us as we got off the ship with a lovely van. We got to do Pompeii AND Sorrento AND Positano during a much shorter time frame than we will have on this itinerary. Our driver was a local, spoke great English and was gave us tons of information about what we were seeing. And you can determine the price by the size of your party. We chose 8 so we could have a little more personalized group so we paid a little more than those who chose the bus sized group. They are more than worth it with the knowledge that you WILL see what is promised and you WILL get back to the ship on time ;)

I get the ease factor but the cost if very prohibitive for my family. There are 6 of us and most ports are 550E which at today's exchnage is almost $700! No way we can afford that added to the cost of the cruise, airfare, hotels, etc. If people can afford it that is great for them but we are saving as much and fast as we can and unless we stop eating altogether and my kid stops growing and doesn't need clothes for the next year and half then maybe we could do it :D

I have no idea what shore excursions Carnival will offer and the cost but we cruised the Mediterranean last May with RC and found that splitting the cost for a small private tour was less expensive than what the ship offered for the same tour. We were a family group of 7 and our favorite tour operator was RomeInLimo who we used in Florence and Rome.

This was what our family did on our cruise last May. We arrived 2 days prior to departure in Barcelona. We stayed at the Royal Ramblas which is just a skip and a hop from Placa de Catalunya which is in the city's center and a transportation hub. We used Barcelona Airport Transfers. We used them pre and post cruise as well as transport from hotel to port. We were very pleased with them and I would recommend. Btw...we were a large family group and this was more affordable than 2 taxis. I also recommend the Hop On Hop Off bus called Bus Turistic. A great way to orient yourself to the city and take in the sites you may want to further visit. We bought a voucher good for 2 days. Attractions I recommend as must sees are Sagrada Familia and Park Guell. Walk the Royal Ramblas and the Barri Gothic area nearby. See the cathedral.

Marseille - We took a tour to Aix-En-Provence. You can discover the scenic countryside of the Provence region and stroll down the "Cours Mirabeau". An old city which has kept most of its charm from the 17th and 18th centuries. Lots of old fountains, tree lined avenues, and outdoor markets.

Nice (Monaco): I don't think Carnival is going here so I won't elaborate other than I loved Monaco, Monte Carlo, and Cannes. We arrived shortly after the Grand Prix and Film Festival in Cannes. They were still taking down the barriers, etc.

Florence/Pisa: See the Leaning Tower ( we didn't climb) and off to Florence to see the marvelous Duomo, Cathedral of Santa Maria Del Fiore, and take in a museum such as the Accademia where you can view Michelangelo's DAVID or the Uffizi. If you love art and art history then you will be in heaven! [emoji56] I highly recommend Rick Steve's Europe:101. History and Art for the Traveler Book. You will appreciate what you are seeing if you have some basic background on the history and art of the places you visit and the art/architecture. Don't forget to get some photos near Ponte Vecchio which is the oldest bridge in Florence over the Arno River.

Rome: A tour which hits all the highlights of Rome ( Trevi Fountain, Spanish Steps, Roman Ruins, Colosseum and Vatican City. Reserve in advance a licensed guide for inside the Vatican. Your tour operator will not be able to accompany you inside and having the guide is worth the $$. I would skip the added cost for one at the Colosseum.

Naples: We chose to take a tour of Capri. Our guide met us at the port and boarded the ferry with us over to Capri. We took a boat trip all around the island and visited both Anacapri and Capri. We weren't able to visit the Blue Grotto due to tide conditions. We used Tour Guide Naples. This was such a relaxing day and much needed break from museums and land travel tours.

This is just a brief summary. If you want further info then feel free to ask.

I get the ease factor but the cost if very prohibitive for my family. There are 6 of us and most ports are 550E which at today's exchnage is almost $700! No way we can afford that added to the cost of the cruise, airfare, hotels, etc. If people can afford it that is great for them but we are saving as much and fast as we can and unless we stop eating altogether and my kid stops growing and doesn't need clothes for the next year and half then maybe we could do it :D

There are ways of limiting the tour budget without sacrificing to much especially if you target what you would like to visit, here's some ideas for what we have done as a family of 5 at the time the twins were 5:

1) Naples. We caught the locals bus to Pompei 15 Euros, very easy with information from the ports of call board, kids entrance is free

2) Rome. Though romeinlimo is very highly recommended on here we used a lesser known company which we would highly recommend smartcruisetours. At 190E difference and were able to do everything we wanted.

3)Livorno. We caught the ships shuttle which drops you off by the tourist information office were we bought tickets for a bus to Pisa. This gave us about 2hrs in Pisa.

4)Marseilles. We caught the free bus which drops you off about a 1/2 mile from the harbour area. We walked down to the harbour and caught the petite train up to Notre Dame de la Garde http://www.petit-train-marseille.com/circuits-petit-train-marseille-en.html

any questions just ask

Damon

This is my first Med cruise but I have been to some of the ports before.

I am from Sicily so I suggest for the Messina port of call, definitely do Taormina if you can, the views are breath-taking, stop for a gelato and just enjoy the town/scenery. Also some of the shops sell cute little souvenirs made out of the lava from Mt. Etna, I have them in my curio, they are so cute-Taormina has the cutest souvenirs.

If you are calling at Palermo, then definetly visit the churches and if possible the catacombs, specifically Catecombe di Cappucini.

For Rome, I loved going inside the Colleseum as the vibe is just something to experience, seeing the cells were the prisoners were kept really brought the history alive for me.

The Vatican and Sistine Chapel is also not be me missed. The trattorias around The Spanish Steps have really good food and wine (no cheese available for seafood dishes, as it's not the Italian thing to do;)) And there is a corner gelato shop that has the best Baci (chocolate hazelnut) gelato ever.

Also the pizza in Rome is pretty amazing imo.

I haven't been to Florence or Pisa yet so not sure which I'll do but probably Pisa as I'll be with my 6 y.o and looking for a shorter excursion.