Naples in the middle of December

wilsonsmw

At that time of year in Naples, the average high is about 55 and the average low is 40 (easily looked up on a weather site ;)).

Naples in winter isn't as rainy as northern Italy, but it could be drizzly.

I'm pretty sure there will be a full slate of excursions on offer and the stellar part is that the crowds should be noticeably thinner than in season.

I wouldn't recommend going to Capri (some things will be closed), but it's a great time to visit Pompeii, where the experience is much more pleasant with fewer people.

We were there in late Nov once and then again in mid Dec. I don't remember Naples being very cold at all. But it is definitely low season so you won't be fighting with too much of a crowd.

When we were there, the public services were on strike. We tried to go to the Herculaneum, but it was closed!

Here is a video -

[YOUTUBE]LMUr2fqkpXg[/YOUTUBE]

Here is a blog post on our day in Naples, when sailing on the Celebrity Silhouette.

http://guitar123foodandtravel.blogspot.sg/2013/12/naples-italy-amalfi-coast-positano-part.html

Edited by Iluvcruising2

We agree that going to Capri (or other islands like Ischia or Procida) is not a good idea in December. Not only are many shops and restaurants closed for the season, but the ferry/hydrofoils are running on an off-season schedule with limited departures.

Hank

We will be there December 13th (I know like ways away but you know)

Is it crazy cold, will we enjoy (of course we r on vacation) are there limited excursions etc.

Any trip input would be great. (not tour operators)

As others have said, it is probably not going to be frigid, but there may be some rain.

Christmas in Italy is a huge deal and at that point less that two weeks from the big day, the streets will be very active with Christmas displays, etc.

If I were you, I would spend the day in Naples proper and wander around Spaccanapoli where you will find some of the main churches in the city as well as narrow streets with shops, restaurants, pastries, etc. This is a great way to experience that mass of humanity that is Naples.:)

Seriously though, you can try pizza, eat a few desserts and if you'd like wander over to the Archeological museum as well.