First aid kit with kids

Soleil's Mom

I will be travelling on the Fantasy in April with my 2 nephews. One is 11, and is fairly accident-prone, but tends to brush most of it off. The other is almost 6, and is paranoid about blood (he skinned his knee and had a minute amount of blood showing and was simply unable to go on until he had a bandaid. I totally blame his mother for this). The 11 year old was on a cruise in 2012, and experienced a minor upset tummy the first day. I used the Motion Eaze oil on him the first night and the second day, and he never complained again. I'm trying to put together a first aid kit of stuff that a kid might need, since this isn't something I normally deal with. I usually carry a bottle of Advil and that fixes everything for me, lol.

What would you add to this list?

Children's Tylenol

Children's Pepto

Children's Benedryl (the oldest has a weird reaction to bug bites)

Bandaids with antibiotic lotion already on them (I can't handle triple antibiotic ointment, since *I* break out from it)

Motion Eaze

Sunscreen, sunscreen, and more sunscreen

Aloe for when there isn't enough sunscreen (I and the youngest are pale skinned redheads. Somedays nothing short of wearing long sleeves and pants stops a sunburn from developing)

Unscented lotion for dry skin (they won't use mine, because they "smell like a girl.")

Any tips or hints you can pass on to a childless adult about to embark on a 7 day vacation with 2 boys and no mom in sight? Or even easily reached by phone for most of those days.

Thanks in advance!!

Well, it looks like you've got the medicine covered. The only other thing I can think you might possibly want is a cold pack, but that's iffy.

I will say to remember goggles. Mine always wanted them for the pools, always seemed to forget them.

You seem like you have a good list and it is basically what I get, though I also get one of those small pre-packed first aid kits you can get from the store just in case because it has the bigger bandages and ice/heat pack and such.

I do have a question though since you said you have reactions to the anti-biotic ointments. Have you used them in the past on someone and you were okay with it? I really only ask because my DH is allergic to Neosporin, but not Bacitracin. Once when our kids were really little, my mother put one of those per-medicated band-aids on our DS. My husband broke out just from touching the tape on it, not even the medicated pad.

The only other thing I would consider suggesting would be something like a children's Ibuprofen to go along with the Acetaminophen in the Tylenol. I suggest this because while both are considered pain meds, they work on different types of pain. A good example would be while the Tylenol will take away a headache or the pain of a sunburn, the Ibuprofen will take away the pain AND the inflammation of the sunburn which could provide more relief for a grumpy kid! Also with someone accident prone if they trip over their own feet or hurt their joints in some ways (I am constantly twisting my ankles being accident prone myself) the Tylenol just might not cut it.

That's a good call on the goggles. I actually already have some in my cruise bag. We went to Great Wolf Lodge last summer and ended up with 5 pair. I plan on bringing some sand toys too, since we are going to the beach in both ports. Easier to drag some along than have them bummed because there aren't any.

Jasalth, there is a chemical in the base that I have issues with. Although I am allergic to penicillin, and some of them have that stuff in there too. I first found out it was an issue when I got my first tattoo at 18 and the artist slathered it all over. He said it was going to itch, but it was unbearable! Then I took the bandage off and it was red and splotchy and look awful. I thought I was going to lose my arm like all those terrible stories your parents tell you to make you NOT want a tattoo (although in my case my mom paid for it as an 18th b-day present, so she wasn't giving me horror stories). I spoke with the artist, and when he asked me if I had any allergies, I told him penicillin, and he said to wash the area off really well with hot water and soap, then to reapply a good lotion I knew I was OK with with. 9 tattoos later and I've never had another problem! But touch Bacitracin and even my fingers get all red, itchy, and blotchy.

Edited by Soleil's Mom

You seem to have everything you need medicinal listed. How about a toy, stuffed animal or something that they go to for comfort. Check with their mom she will know what that item would be. Your a great Aunt! Have fun making memories with your nephews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You seem to have everything you need medicinal listed. How about a toy, stuffed animal or something that they go to for comfort. Check with their mom she will know what that item would be. Your a great Aunt! Have fun making memories with your nephews.

They have their blankets that they sleep with, even the 11 year old. And some toys are on the packing list already. Mom is getting used to me hauling her kids all over, so she knows what to pack.

Visine or a preferred eye drop, Desitin or vaseline for chafing, Tylenol in case of pain if vomiting- avoid Ibuprofen if vomiting due to increased stomach irritation, allergy meds if susceptible to irritants like smoke as ventilation can be poor on some ships. Avoid Benadryl unless for severe issues and, if you do resort to using it, force fluids. IMHO Benadryl is misused by many. I used to have to take it for extreme seasonal allergies and it is unbearably drying and can create daytime fatigue and irritation, which can be much worse in children. Hope you don't need any meds, but good to have them. There are pharmacies in most port terminal areas- or at least drugstores- if you need anything while you are away.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Will they wear a rashguard shirt ? The spf 50 type like surfers wear ? My red headed teenager swears by his, especially for snorkeling. He is good about applying sunscreen but saltwater and sand seem to take it right off. His rashguard covers to his elbows and up the back of his very sun sensitive neck. I've taken to wearing one while snorkeling also to save my back and shoulders.

Also consider good water/ hiking shoes. I've broken toes and picked up splinters on beaches all over the place and I'll never forget the little girl in Mexico who stepped on a spiky sea creature her first day of vacation.

I realize these aren't first aid kit items but" an ounce of prevention" and all that.

Well, it looks like you've got the medicine covered. The only other thing I can think you might possibly want is a cold pack, but that's iffy.

I will say to remember goggles. Mine always wanted them for the pools, always seemed to forget them.

Maybe a few sandwich sized ziploc baggies so she can make an ice pack if she needs it?

I always pack at least a couple of the larger (like gallon sized) ziploc bags also for wet swimsuits so they don't soak everything in the suitcase.

And last but not least, a couple of giant, inflatable plastic bubbles to roll them around in so they don't need any of the other medication. :D

:p

I'm not that good of an Aunt!

Thanks everyone. I took a lot of the suggestions and added a couple items.

One thing I would do is to ask their mom to pack up their various medications and remedies. One reason from my experience is that some (like Tylenol, cold medicines, etc.) will come in different flavors and my daughter had flavors that she preferred and others she hated (not a fan of anything flavored grape). And also have mom put a label on them with dosages for each kid.

And a thermometer just in case they come down with a bug and you need to take their temperature before administering tylenol. Know their weights so you can administer proper dosages.

I always have a big ziplock bag of the stuff we are used to using at home along with us - never know what you might need. 99% of the time you won't need any of this. But just in case for that 1% ...

Do you have all the legal paperwork for taking minors that are not your own children out of the country? Medical treatment permission forms?

You are an awesome Aunt!!