New Silverbox

MJN1

We just did "the dance"! :D

SS has done away with the (faux) leather folder and luggage tags. You now get a slender silver (carton) box with pretty elegant looking printed paper luggage tags - as always - for boarding.

The real upgrade is the "Travel Journal". It comes in the form of a 14.9x20.9cm (5.86x8.2inch) booklet, contains the ticket, the list of ports with shore excursions and the usual on-board information. It is very well done, multi-coloured and even has an individualized page for your suite (your cabin number printed, the suite described and a floor plan of the deck you are on).

I have been rather critical about the "innovations/improvements" :eek: recently made by SS, but this is really nice!

The real upgrade is the "Travel Journal". It comes in the form of a 14.9x20.9cm (5.86x8.2inch) booklet, contains the ticket, the list of ports with shore excursions and the usual on-board information. It is very well done, multi-coloured and even has an individualized page for your suite (your cabin number printed, the suite described and a floor plan of the deck you are on).

None of which information cannot be found elsewhere either online or onboard; the journal is heavy and is a lot of unnecessary paper and ink - I just tear the ticket out and chuck the rest away.

How I wish they'd just make it all available online so that one can print out only that which is necessary (as most other cruise lines do), and then SS could save the cost of printing it and sending it by courier (which to Bermuda is not a trivial amount) - that's a cost saving I'd be happy to see, unlike some others.

Ah well, each to his own ...

Edited by jollyjones

None of which information cannot be found elsewhere either online or onboard; the journal is heavy and is a lot of unnecessary paper and ink - I just tear the ticket out and chuck the rest away.

How I wish they'd just make it all available online so that one can print out only that which is necessary (as most other cruise lines do), and then SS could save the cost of printing it and sending it by courier (which to Bermuda is not a trivial amount) - that's a cost saving I'd be happy to see, unlike some others.

Ah well, each to his own ...

And I disagree completely. As you say, each to his own.

Personally, I find the travel journal to be the perfect keepsake. I also bring home the printed listing of the Officers who worked the segment and also take personal notes of other crew members.

It would be nice if they printed two tickets, one removable, another a customer copy, so you wouldn't have to tote the entire book on the trip.

Call me old school, but I like reading about shore excursions with a book in hand. Nothing is more frustrating then flipping from one screen to another, trying to determine what the options are.

Personally, I find the travel journal to be the perfect keepsake. I also bring home the printed listing of the Officers who worked the segment and also take personal notes of other crew members.

It would be nice if they printed two tickets, one removable, another a customer copy, so you wouldn't have to tote the entire book on the trip.

Call me old school, but I like reading about shore excursions with a book in hand. Nothing is more frustrating then flipping from one screen to another, trying to determine what the options are.

Especially the good looking ones!

I'm starting to wonder if we will have any documents at all. We are leaving home on March 5th, but our cruise is not until the 27th of March. We told this to our TA, who told Silversea, but they don't seem to be inclined to send the documents early. I know there is still 3 1/2 weeks left, bit it would be nice to at least hear that they're on their way. They're not really equipped to deal with people who want to do some pre-cruise travelling, are they?

I'm starting to wonder if we will have any documents at all. We are leaving home on March 5th, but our cruise is not until the 27th of March. We told this to our TA, who told Silversea, but they don't seem to be inclined to send the documents early. I know there is still 3 1/2 weeks left, bit it would be nice to at least hear that they're on their way. They're not really equipped to deal with people who want to do some pre-cruise travelling, are they?

Don't worry. We are on a cruise sailing 20 March and we received our little silver box yesterday, 10 February. So you should be receiving yours in a week or so, in plenty of time before your 5 March trip. Relax.

Don't worry. We are on a cruise sailing 20 March and we received our little silver box yesterday, 10 February. So you should be receiving yours in a week or so, in plenty of time before your 5 March trip. Relax.

Thanks, that's good to know. I wasn't ready to panic yet, since I'm pretty sure that if we show up with appropriate ID they'll let us board. But I'm looking forward to this pretty silver box! It's been years since we've had real docs from a cruise line. I hope I still remember how to do the doc dance.

• 2 weeks later...
hope to see you at tthe meet and mingle

Is there a Cruise Critic Meet and Mingle? I looked for a roll call, but didn't see one, and assumed that there was no Meet and Mingle either. If it's a CC event, what do we need to do to get signed up?