UBP on 7-day Cruise

HeatherMac246

Hi all,

I wanted to thank everyone again for all their help on these boards. I really appreciate all the responses.

So, since I was the one that posted about NCL offering free UBP for new bookings and I had already booked, we are now pondering buying the UBP or just going drink by drink. I rather know what it's going to be up front rather than be surprised, but I feel as though the price ($434.70 PP) is really high.

My 2 questions:

1-Can I order the UBP before sailing and be able to use my onboard credit?

2-Does anyone have an updated list of drinks & prices?

I am a dirty martini drinker and my other half is a crown royal on the rocks drinker. I just wanted to be sure that if we did buy the UBP that those two things would be covered. Of course, we also like to drink frozen drinks and he likes to drink beer by the pool. Just not sure if it's worth the value.

TIA!

~Heather

Think 6-8 drinks a day per person to break even is what I do. If you can/do drink that much in a day, go for it. If not, drink by drink would be the way to go.

Not sure of the 2 drinks you mention for the package they are on.

Hi all,

I wanted to thank everyone again for all their help on these boards. I really appreciate all the responses.

So, since I was the one that posted about NCL offering free UBP for new bookings and I had already booked, we are now pondering buying the UBP or just going drink by drink. I rather know what it's going to be up front rather than be surprised, but I feel as though the price ($434.70 PP) is really high.

My 2 questions:

I am a dirty martini drinker and my other half is a crown royal on the rocks drinker. I just wanted to be sure that if we did buy the UBP that those two things would be covered. Of course, we also like to drink frozen drinks and he likes to drink beer by the pool. Just not sure if it's worth the value.

TIA!

~Heather

If you want to pay for it with on board credit, you'll need to buy the package on the ship. I believe you can buy it on day 1 or 2. (And I think it costs more on the ship - maybe $5/day more? Not sure...)

Hi all,

My 2 questions:

TIA!

~Heather

Hi Heather!

I saw you are sailing Mar 1. What ship? We will be on the Epic that week!

Anyways, you can definitely get a dirty martini but you may or may not be able to get top shelf gin for it. Since a martini is like a double pour, 2 shots of Bombay Sapphire will put you over. Or Grey Goose if you are a vodka drinker. You can get it with like Gordon's tho. Crown should be covered as anything under $10 is. Maybe just a single pour at a time.

Yes frozen drinks and beer are included.

If you are a heavy drinker then its def. worth it. When I say heavy meaning you can have your 6-8 per day..

My husband didn't think it was worth buying since he does not drink as much as I do butwhen we went on our cruise so he saved all the drink receipts for him and I. We totaled out at about $1400.00. There was not really anything we COULDN'T get. And my mom gave me some friendly advice in pre-tipping certain bartenders in advance and your pretty much going to get anything you want.

When I say certain bar tenders I am referring to one of the bars I frequented the most and usually always had the same two guys. Trust me when I say that extra $40.00 cash I threw their way - went much further.

I am all for the UDP if you are a drinker.

Hi!

We're sailing from Tampa on the Sun. This is our first time on NCL, we've done RCI & Carnival in previous sailings. I really wanted to get on the Epic but it wasn't in the cards this time. But we are excited about the Sun. Just a much smaller boat than what we're used to!

I am a grey goose drinker if it's available. What happens if I wanted a grey goose martini, that was say $18. Do I pay for the whole drink or just the overage??

Thanks again for the help!!

~Heather

Hi!

We're sailing from Tampa on the Sun. This is our first time on NCL, we've done RCI & Carnival in previous sailings. I really wanted to get on the Epic but it wasn't in the cards this time. But we are excited about the Sun. Just a much smaller boat than what we're used to!

I am a grey goose drinker if it's available. What happens if I wanted a grey goose martini, that was say $18. Do I pay for the whole drink or just the overage??

Thanks again for the help!!

~Heather

I hear such good things about the Sun... and I see it sometimes when I drive by the port! :)

I'm not sure about that. Some bars were ok with just letting us have it. Some weren't. This was back on the older plan. I have heard that on the new plan you can pay the difference but I haven't experienced that yet!

We were on the Dawn two weeks ago and had the UBP as part of the suite perks.

Most of the cocktails are made with top shelf liquor including Bloody Marys made with Grey Goose and Tequila Sunrises made with Patron Silver!

Not being a Martini drinker, I can only go by what I saw in the Freestyle Dailies and that was showing the Martini of the day weighing in at $10 or under and the flight was $15, so you should be OK.

Most spirits, even premium, were ringing up in the $6-8 range, but obviously cocktails are priced differently (lower on average). Example, Long Island Iced Tea, which has four different spirits in it was still only around $8, so well within the allowance. Crown is most definitely ok. I was drinking Gentleman Jack, Woodford Reserve and Knob Creek and all of those were fine.

The only spirit I saw that was over was Hennessey X.O. and I'm sure there are other ultra-premiums not included, but for most, no problem.

We've read reviews that it's amazing and then others, not so much. I full believe that the cruise is what you make of it. If you are going there to have a good time, I truly feel as though you will have a great time. If you are nit picky about everything once you are there, you are going to have an awful time. We're going to get the dining package because of the all the specialty restaurants on the boat, I'm really looking forward to that!

Have you been on a boat as big as the Epic before? The largest boat we've been on was under 4000 passengers, so relatively small in comparison to the Epic!

Hi all,

My 2 questions:

TIA!

~Heather

Martini's and Crown are absolutely included. There is not a drink list anymore of what is included, anything you see is outdated from when they had a list of whats included. Now the package includes ALL DRINKS under $10. Martini's fall into this category. Crown also falls into this category. You will be VERY hard pressed to find anything that is not included. Even things like Patron, Belvadere, Grey Goose, etc are included without issue.

You CAN use your OBC to purchase the drink package, but only after you are on the ship. If you buy the package on the ship you will be paying an additional $5 a day (+15%) per person ($40.25 more pp/week).

Here is some math to help you decide if it is worth it or not from a purely fiscal stand point. Standard beer is ~$6.25 each after gratuity. A classic mixed drink is ~$8 after gratuity. Specialty martinis in restaurants tend to be toward the $9.75 +15% range (Also covered under UBP, the $10 cap is on base price not total after gratuity). Wine ranges widely by the glass ($6-10) As you can see from these numbers depending on your typical drink of the choice the break even is around 5-7 drinks.

Something else to consider about the package is this, and for me this was a huge deal. You no longer have to worry (or even think) about drink prices. You want to try a drink but not sure you will like it, Go ahead and try it. You get talking on the pool deck and your beer gets warm? Get a new one. New to drinking wine? Try many different styles and brands. It takes a lot off of your mind while cruising. You dont have to watch your spending. You are not blindsided at the end of the week with a huge bar bill. This for me is the biggest benefit.

My favorite thing to do with the UBP is do to various bars and talk to the bartenders. I will often ask them to make me their "signature" cocktail. I dont give them any guidelines, just let them make what they like. I have had some really great new drinks this way, and some I did not like at all but each time I had a good time.

Lastly I will say that a lot of people on these board seem to imply that having 6 drinks a day is some impossible feat or try to make you seem like a lush for being able to have that many drinks no problem. It is VERY VERY easy to have that number of drinks. A Mimosa at breakfast, 2 drink poolside, a glass of wine or two at dinner, a drink at a show. You have already broken even at this point, the drinks are spread so far apart you are not drunk, and you got to enjoy your entire vacation day sipping a cocktail and relaxing. I very rarely drink in my regular life, but have no problem breaking even on a Cruise ship.

Last thing I will say is if you are going to GSC on your trip the package is even more worth it because it extends to the island. Drinking free on the beach all day is a very nice experience.

I know this was long, but I hope it was helpful. Enjoy your trip.

6&8

We've read reviews that it's amazing and then others, not so much. I full believe that the cruise is what you make of it. If you are going there to have a good time, I truly feel as though you will have a great time. If you are nit picky about everything once you are there, you are going to have an awful time. We're going to get the dining package because of the all the specialty restaurants on the boat, I'm really looking forward to that!

Have you been on a boat as big as the Epic before? The largest boat we've been on was under 4000 passengers, so relatively small in comparison to the Epic!

Yes we sailed the Epic once before. The capacity for epic is 4200 so whatever ship you were on that was 4000 should be pretty close to Epic sized!

If you are a heavy drinker then its def. worth it. When I say heavy meaning you can have your 6-8 per day..

My husband didn't think it was worth buying since he does not drink as much as I do butwhen we went on our cruise so he saved all the drink receipts for him and I. We totaled out at about $1400.00. There was not really anything we COULDN'T get. And my mom gave me some friendly advice in pre-tipping certain bartenders in advance and your pretty much going to get anything you want.

When I say certain bar tenders I am referring to one of the bars I frequented the most and usually always had the same two guys. Trust me when I say that extra $40.00 cash I threw their way - went much further.

I am all for the UDP if you are a drinker.

I concur completely. I was on the MSC Divina this past December and was worried after reading all the negative reviews, but they were pretty much all BS or exaggerated. The food was (mostly) wonderful and even if I didn't like something, it's not like I couldn't order something else. I'm really looking forward to cruising with NCL, and eveN though the Epic has some bad reviews, I'm sure we will thoroughly enjoy her regardless.

Hi all,

My 2 questions:

TIA!

~Heather

1.) No... you cannot use existing OBC to pay for the UBP in advance. Technically you don't get OBC until you are on board.

2.) The latest information is any drink up to $10 is covered. (Specialty coffee's and fresh squeezed juices not included) A typical dirty martini and a single shot of Crown Royal on the rocks are definitely covered so you are good there. The value for you breaks even at between 6 and 8 drinks per day ... Easy to do on a typical sea day, harder on a port day, but not too difficult to do at all.

Does NCL allow you to pay the difference like on Celebrity? Example - $16 dollar glass of wine. Beverage package only covers up to $14. Up charge is only $2.

Just like with the Classic package on Celebrity, you will need to pay the whole drink that goes over the limit when using UBP.

On Celebrity only Premium package will allow you to pay the difference for overpriced drinks, I was told last week on Reflection.

Edited by Demonyte

what is the cost per day?

For UBP? If prepurchased, $54pp/day and when purchased onboard $59pp/day, must purchase for every day of the cruise for all 21-years or older passengers in the same cabin.

15% gratuity is added to the package price always and possible sales etc taxes can be added depending on the port if purchased while onboard.

Edited by Demonyte