any type of Easter servive?

cruising7

The only time there are any church services of any type is if there is clergy on board and they volunteer to conduct services. If there is such a service it will be posted in the dailies. Through our last six or seven cruises there have not been any services. I guess the clergy like their vacations too???:D

Sometimes, there will be booked clergy, and sometimes not. On our Christmas cruise for 2013, someone in our M&G asked the HD if there would be Christmas Eve services. His response was that they didn't have anyone booked but would be happy if someone would volunteer. I volunteered DH, because he is ordained - it's just not his vocation. Norwegian supplied the wine and bread for communion, reserved a room and did put it in the Freestyle Daily. Otherwise, there wouldn't have been a service.

We will be at sea on easter sunday....just wondered if there might be any type of service, ship sponsored or otherwise?

would appreciate simple replies

without judgement or debate :):)

rvsullivan said it about right. Many times there will be a clergy person on board that will reserve a room ahead and hold a mini version of a religious celebration. You can check your freestyle daily or ask at the reception desk. I actully was on a church group cruise about 8 years agol. We had set a room up ahead of time: our clergy was with us, we had our Sunday service and about 6 others, from different religions joined us. It wasn't in the bulletin but they found out about it from the reception desk. I have also seen services mentioned in the dailies.

We will be at sea on easter sunday....just wondered if there might be any type of service, ship sponsored or otherwise?

would appreciate simple replies

without judgement or debate :):)

Only time I was on during a holiday was Easter 2012 on the epic. They had a large mass. It was non denominational Christian so I as a catholic did not receive communion but other folks did. I thought it was done very nicely.

Hmmmm... Interesting. I used to always volunteer to lead a service whenever I was sailing and Sunday was a sea day. A couple of years ago I emailed my contact to set it up, as in the past, and was told Norwegian doesn't do this anymore. Obviously not the case, but it looks like something that would have to be arranged once onboard.

NCL put a message in the daily asking for clergy to officiate at a Sunday service. A very competent and kind missionary volunteered and it also turned into a sea days Bible study that was so well attended it was "out the door" flowing out into the hallway! The only problem was there always seems to be someone who really has an agenda and wants to run the show even though they don't volunteer. This missionary was very skillful in stopping this type of negative behavior- the one guy wanted to debate and another wanted everyone to believe that the end times were a few weeks away. The missionary had the support of the rest of the group and these two didn't show up again. Actually, these meetings were the highlight of our 14 night transatlantic!

I think HAL gives a priest a free cabin as a trade off for doing daily mass but that only appeals to the Roman Catholic travelers. RCL and NCL were the ones who were more non-denominational and the people who ran the services I had attended were excellent.

• 3 weeks later...

How far in advance would someone need to ask ncl to put it in the freestyle and how would we go about doing that?? We were just planning to have our own sunrise service for our family group of 10....we have an ordained elder and someone to play guitar and sing amongst our family and would love to have others to join us! Do you think if I called ncl they would be beasier able to tell me if someone else has planned anything or is this the kind of thing you would need to check into once on board.

I would call NCL to see if you can get an email of someone in charge. On our ship, it was the cruise director who handled the religious service. Personally, I think they would be thrilled to have you offer. Our Sunday services were held in the main theater and Bible studies, which had many in loyal attendance took place in one of the meeting rooms. One of the pianists offered to do the music, but lucky you with your own guitarist.