Macchu Picchu Post Cruise Excursion

emjayef

I had a bit of trouble in Cuzco, helped by Coca tea and taking it easy. The next day we went to the small town just outside of Machu Picchu, Agua Callientes, as I recall. Felt much better there.

Lhasa was much more difficult for me. My fault. We followed the tour leader instructions and rested for 2 hours, then rushed out to sight see on our own. The headache started about dinner time, followed by vomiting, by morning I was shaky but ok. A hot steamy shower helped as did sleeping semi-sitting up. Also remember to consciously breathe deeply. You can also do "push" breathing. Take a deep breath and purse your lips and blow out hard. It is supposed to put more oxygen in your lungs. When you walk up a flight of stairs, without realizing it you start to breath more deeply even before the first step. At high altitudes, you don't get the cue to breathe deeper.

We are just back from a trip to MP after Miami-Lima cruise on the Regatta. We took Diamox and had no problems with altitude but several in our group did and one couple spent the day at the hospital where they got excellent care but could not go to MP. We stayed at the JW Marriott Monastery hotel and had extra O2 pumped in at night. Oceania had arranged this. Overall it was a fabulous trip and was very well organized with excellent guides. We did the Standard trip and felt that the superior trip was not worth it. however I would seriously consider taking Diamox if you are doing this post cruise as you will have spent 2 weeks at sea level and then go to 11000 ft within 3 hours and do not have time to acclimatise so could risk missing your visit to Machu Picchu.

That's a very interesting comment about doing MP as a post-cruise excursion. Fortunately for us we're doing it PRE-cruise in April. But I'll definitely talk to my doctor about Diomox. Better to have it and not need it than the opposite ...

Mura

That's a very interesting comment about doing MP as a post-cruise excursion. Fortunately for us we're doing it PRE-cruise in April. But I'll definitely talk to my doctor about Diomox. Better to have it and not need it than the opposite ...

Mura

However, for Diamox to be effective, you must start taking it before you actually need it to prevent the altitude illness symptoms (unlike Aspirin/Tylenol for a headache, which you take when you need it as the headache begins):

http://www.webmd.com/drugs/2/drug-6753/diamox-oral/details

As always, consult your MD :)

Yes, Paul, we will. I just did a search on the drug and discovered that it is used for glaucoma -- which my husband has. So he really needs to talk to his eye doctor about this. I don't think I have anything contra-indicated, but I'm due to see my doctor soon and will certainly ask her about it.

Mura

As an O fan, I found this thread most interesting. My TA has been suggesting the Galapagos Islands for some time. O does not do that trip and we wanted to combine an MP tour at the same time. Therefore, after much research we are taking X to both in 2016. The land tour is actually 1st class hotels, Orient Express, etc. and better than what SS offered for the same cost. Thanks for all of the tips and it made me move forward with this trip.

As an O fan, I found this thread most interesting. My TA has been suggesting the Galapagos Islands for some time. O does not do that trip and we wanted to combine an MP tour at the same time. Therefore, after much research we are taking X to both in 2016. The land tour is actually 1st class hotels, Orient Express, etc. and better than what SS offered for the same cost. Thanks for all of the tips and it made me move forward with this trip.

We did that trip with X Xpedition and enjoyed both parts immensely.

Good choice!

PS After MP we flew into Manaus and came home via the Amazon cruise to Miami.

We did Machu Picchu and the Galapagos in two different trips because I had my own ideas of what to see in Peru and what to do in Ecuador.

We went to the Galapagos with X. Then we added a trip to the Amazon Basin in Ecuador on our own. The lodge we chose - Napo Wildlife Center - arranged everything, flights to the Amazon, boats on the river, guides.

People we met in the lodge took a Silversea ship in the Galapagos afterwards. Silversea and Celebrity have the two largest ships in the Galapagos, each about 100 passengers. Several passengers on our X ship went on to Machu Picchu.

I want to expedition cruise Galapagos, and DH wants to do MP. If it matters, it will be Silversea for the cruise, and an independent land tour of MP.

We THINK we can go both???

But the question is which order should we do the trip. We are young (ish) 53 & 54. Pretty active. I walk 18 holes of golf (5 mile walk!) at least 4 days a week, yoga and other activities. DH is more fit than I.

DH still works, so time is a factor, so in an ideal world, how much time (the cruise is 7 night-er) do we need?

Edited by kimanjo

I happen to be on a different track regarding the Galapagos from those of you who have posted. I would never do the Galapagos on a "real" ship.

We did our cruise there in 1989 on a 12 passenger motor cruiser. At the time I think the largest ship plying the islands carried 32 passengers. We much preferred the very small ship we were on. (Of course, I paid the price by being seasick whenever we were out in the ocean.)

We used an agency based in Tiburon, CA (Inca Floats) which back then chartered the various ships it used, none of them as large as the 32 passenger ship, but now has its own ships. I did ask our guide about how the larger ships got people on shore efficiently because we were so pleased with only being 9 people (our cruiser had the capacity for 12 passengers but we were only 9) so we just piled into a zodiac and went to shore.

Her answer was that they would send one zodiac with its passengers in one direction, and 10 minutes later another zodiac would go in another direction -- so that there weren't too many people in one place at one time.

But I ask myself with the large number of larger ships in the area these days, is it possible to have a really private time with your iguana?

By the way, for people who like to do things on their own -- back then you could just arrive at Santa Cruz Island and go find someone who would take you around the islands for whatever your time frame was. A lot cheaper doing it that way ...

On the other hand, we had great guides who showed us places on the Big Island that others did not see. Again, I don't know how it works now.

Mura

I want to expedition cruise Galapagos, and DH wants to do MP. If it matters, it will be Silversea for the cruise, and an independent land tour of MP.

I see that you are located in South Florida, very easy access to South America. Quito, Ecuador is only 3 1/2 hours from Miami by LAN and American Airlines. You could do these very different trips separately. I wouldn't rush to squeeze them in one trip.

Machu Picchu, Ollantaytambo and Cusco deserve more than a 3-4 day attachment to a Galapagos cruise. We spent 10 days in Peru, but there is much more to see. In addition, we did day trips in Lima and to the Trujillo area on a South America cruise, was a bit rushed but worth it to see amazing pre-Inca ruins.

I recommend the travel agency we used for Peru, but cannot name it here. They provided guides, booked hotels, transportation and the train to Machu Picchu. They adjusted the itinerary and hotels 5 times according to my wishes. We had private tours at a reasonable price. All guides were excellent, knowledgeable, personable, flexible, and spoke good English. Overall this was a much more enjoyable trip for me than the Galapagos... despite the soroche in the highlands.

I happen to be on a different track regarding the Galapagos from those of you who have posted. I would never do the Galapagos on a "real" ship.

Mura

Mura, the Galapagos National Park keeps a tight reign on the many ships that ply its waters. In 7 days, we saw other ships only once outside the ports. Itineraries are controlled and exactly prescribed to lessen the load on the environment.

Of course, a small yacht has maybe 2 pangas and therefore less people in one spot. It's also less luxurious. We saw really young people stand in line for their pangas to return to their yacht. Youngsters in their twenties. Those smaller yachts do 1 - 3 day tours. That would have been sufficient time for me.

But the question is which order should we do the trip. We are young (ish) 53 & 54. Pretty active. I walk 18 holes of golf (5 mile walk!) at least 4 days a week, yoga and other activities. DH is more fit than I.

DH still works, so time is a factor, so in an ideal world, how much time (the cruise is 7 night-er) do we need?

As Floridiana suggested, separate trips may give you more options.

I would suggest looking into exploring a trip to see Nazca lines from Lima on your "Peru" trip - truly a unique experience.

I see that you are located in South Florida, very easy access to South America. Quito, Ecuador is only 3 1/2 hours from Miami by LAN and American Airlines. You could do these very different trips separately. I wouldn't rush to squeeze them in one trip.

Machu Picchu, Ollantaytambo and Cusco deserve more than a 3-4 day attachment to a Galapagos cruise. We spent 10 days in Peru, but there is much more to see. In addition, we did day trips in Lima and to the Trujillo area on a South America cruise, was a bit rushed but worth it to see amazing pre-Inca ruins.

I recommend the travel agency we used for Peru, but cannot name it here. They provided guides, booked hotels, transportation and the train to Machu Picchu. They adjusted the itinerary and hotels 5 times according to my wishes. We had private tours at a reasonable price. All guides were excellent, knowledgeable, personable, flexible, and spoke good English. Overall this was a much more enjoyable trip for me than the Galapagos... despite the soroche in the highlands.

Hi!

Thanks for the great tips. Actually I am in Memphis, not Florida, so it's still not that bad to Ecuador...

Because DH still works, time is always an issue when it comes to vacations. We have different ideas what we want to do, and with limited time we have to pick and choose.

Also, my travel budget is very,very small, always inside cabins.. I would not normally choose Silversea, but I can get it for thousands less then any other, which I can afford (interline rate).

Still not sure if we do this if we do MP first or second???

Hi!

Still not sure if we do this if we do MP first or second???

Check out the price for the flights. It might be different in one or the other direction: airport in the US - Quito - Baltra (Galapagos) - Callao (Lima) - Cusco - Callao (Lima) - airport in the US

Personally, I am more a 'ruins and culture' person than a water baby. The Peru trip was MUCH more interesting to me than the Galapagos. Three days would have been enough for me. After I had seen giant tortoises roaming on a ranch, nesting frigate birds and sea turtles, I was ready to move on. Most other animals and birds were plentiful everywhere, especially sea lions. Snorkelers and swimmers enjoyed themselves much more than I did.

Has anyone done the Gal.Isl from smaller ships that go out on day trips and then return to a hotel?

That scenario has been suggested, especially if we would travel with family that includes an elementary aged child. Child is a veteran traveler but still would give child a place to run around.

(Mr Wonderful would also probably appreciate a land based bed instead of one at anchor!)

Opinions and suggestions appreciated!

We did not do that -- bear in mind that we did the Galapagos Islands in August '89 on a motor cruiser ... not a ship.

But we did notice at the time that you could arrive on Santa Cruz Island and book a private cruise. I wasn't aware at the time that you could do it on a daily basis, however. And I'm not sure that I'd want to book air to Santa Cruz Island and then hope to book a cruise! (We did have a very nice motel there, right by the docks.)

Again, we were there a long time ago and perhaps day trips are available now and weren't then. I have already advocated the advantage of a small boat trip, but you definitely would want to have a licensed guide on board with you.

Our assumption when we saw the signs for "sign up for your tour now" was that this was a multi-day tour as we were taking, not one day at a time. But perhaps that is/was also available ...

However, I reiterate that you DO want to have a licensed guide with you.

I'm not sure how large a group you are, but as I said before we were on a 12 passenger motor cruiser (but were only 9 on that trip). That size boat would be ideal for a family, I would think. I don't know if you can find such an agency these days ... back then Inca Floats chartered yachts of various sizes. The last time I checked (only a few months ago) they now have their own boats/ships.

Good luck.

Mura

Thanks Mura,

We're looking at Monograms, a Globus product, that is independent traveling but with hotel, some meals, and the naturalist/guide as part of the package.

We would be staying at the Finch Bay Eco Hotel, and a naturalist would take the group out every day to a different island/ecosystem.

Will have to wait on this adventure until after we return from RTW16!

Thanks again, Mura.

That sounds most interesting.

When we went there with Inca Floats, we had some "private" time on Santa Cruz Island that took us to the big tortoises there plus a private tour at Darwin Station. At the time it seemed exclusive to Inca Floats, but who knows?

Back then I wasn't computerized (!) so I have my diary but not an itinerary, etc. I don't know where we stayed on Santa Cruz Island, just that it was a nice motel that had shower curtains that had the same pattern as one of my t-shirts ...

So of course I don't know what accommodations are available now.

But it sounds like your plan is something I would want to do if we were taking the trip today!

Mura

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Floridiana']Check out the price for the flights. It might be different in one or the other direction: airport in the US - Quito - Baltra (Galapagos) - Callao (Lima) - Cusco - Callao (Lima) - airport in the US

Personally, I am more a 'ruins and culture' person than a water baby. The Peru trip was MUCH more interesting to me than the Galapagos. Three days would have been enough for me. After I had seen giant tortoises roaming on a ranch, nesting frigate birds and sea turtles, I was ready to move on. Most other animals and birds were plentiful everywhere, especially sea lions. Snorkelers and swimmers enjoyed themselves much more than I did.[/QUOTE]

Floridiana, I must confess I am more "ruins and culture" too. Today, I cancelled the Galapagos with Celebrity and decided O was a better fit. We are now on O Lima to Buenos Aires with Deluxe Machu Picchu tour pre trip Oct 2016. I have a shark phobia and cannot relax snorkeling so most likely would not have been my cup of tea.

Wonderful, around the southern tip of South America! I wish you good weather. We went from Bs.As. to Santiago and had a storm brewing in the south. Punta Arenas had closed the port. The captain decided to head north instead of south to Ushuaia. We then cruised the entire Chilean inside passage which had also been on my bucket list. Apparently it was on nobody else's, judging by passenger complaints. ;)

From Bs.As. we flew to the Iguassu Falls on our own, easy to do. We had booked the flights ourselves and the Buenos Aires Hotel called a taxi to go to the airport. At the airport of Puerto Iguassu, dispatchers greeted arriving passengers and assigned a taxi.

Many people stay in the Sheraton within the Falls Park, great location. We stayed in downtown Puerto Iguassu in the Hotel Saint George and took the public bus to the Argentinian side of the falls. They are a wonderful sight! Well worth seeing. Spend an entire day! Since we already had Brazilian visas from a previous trip, we had the hotel call a taxi to go over to the Brazilian side. One afternoon was sufficient, but the view is spectacular.

Floridiana, thank you for the tips. Yes, we will go thru the Chilean Fjords and that is something we enjoy and from the photos I have seen, they look fabulous. We have an overnight in BA and the ship does have an excursion to the Falls, I believe. I am looking forward to seeing the penguins in the Falkland Islands. Much better than sharks ;-)

[quote name='portofinoitaly']Floridiana, thank you for the tips. Yes, we will go thru the Chilean Fjords and that is something we enjoy and from the photos I have seen, they look fabulous. We have an overnight in BA and the ship does have an excursion to the Falls, I believe. I am looking forward to seeing the penguins in the Falkland Islands. Much better than sharks ;-)[/QUOTE]

Here is hoping you'll make it there. Falklands can be a bit of a crap shoot, much like Easter Island - very much weather dependant as far as landings there go. Then there is Argentina and their "love" for the Falklands :D