Dr Caves beach/ hip strip.

Jan the City Fan

Hi,

Ive never been to Jamaica, and arriving at Montego Bay next month with Carnival Magic.

Ive read lots of posts on here, & was thinking of going to Dr Caves beach, & getting a taxi at the port,

I've also read that people walk to the hip strip. Is it safe to do this, & how do you get there, via the beach or is there a road. Once you are there is it safe.?.And is it easy to get a taxi back to the ship.?

The other alernatives I, myself & my man, was to go to Hilton Rose Hall . A.I. , or go to tge Blue Hole, which looks like it may be too far away from Montego Bay port.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. Xx

My wife and I did exactly what your are thinking of doing...

We took the shuttle bus from the pier to Doctor's Cave Beach Club. I think it was $5 per person. We spent several hours there. Then we walked the hip-strip to Margarittaville. It is a short walk with many gift shops along the way. The locals can be a bit pushy to come inside their stores, but we never felt unsafe. Margarittaville was way too crowded, so we grabbed a taxi back to the ship. There are lots of cabs along the street. Just make sure it has a red license plate.

the Blue Hole is at least a 2 hour drive from Montego Bay. I would only do that excursion from Ocho Rios or Falmouth.

The Hip Strip is the waterfront street that runs from Doctors Cave Beach all along to at least the Pork Pit (Past Margaritaville). It's a street that has shops, some bars, hotels, restaurants, etc. Doctors Cave Beach is right on the Hip Strip. So when you are done there, just head right (when facing the street with the ocean to your back) and you are on it.