Almost all booked - August itinerary

EMED2010

Six months from now we will begin our first trip to Alaska. Thanks to these boards, I have hopefully made some good decisions.

Aug 6 - fly into Vancouver - staying at St. Regis - walk around town or maybe Capillano Suspension Bridge - dinner in Gastown

Aug 7 - Embark Radiance of the Seas

Aug 8 - Sea day

Aug 9 - Ketchikan - Anan Creek with Island Wings

Aug 10 - Icy Straight Point - Whale watch with Fishes

Aug 11 - Juneau - the only unplanned day - thinking about a helicopter dogsled tour with Coastal but it's very expensive - Mendenhall Glacier

Aug 12 - Skagway - rented car from Avis for a drive to Emerald Lake

Aug 13 - sea day

Aug 14- Debark in Seward - staying at Breeze Inn

Aug 15 - 3 of our party going halibut fishing with Puffin Charters - I will be doing the 7 1/2 house National Park Cruise with Major Marine - drive to Cooper Landing (1 hour) and stay for two nights at The Hutch Bed & Breakfast

Aug 16 - All day salmon fishing with Kenai Float n Fish - all of us

Aug 17 - take our time driving up Turnagin Arm, stop at Iditarod Headquarters staying overnight in Palmer at Alaska Garden Gate B&B

Aug 18- go to Independence Mine on way to Denali - stay two nights at McKinley Creekside Cabins

Aug 19 - Denali Natl. Park - Eielson Shuttle

Aug 20 - drive to Anchorage for flight home

Six months from now we will begin our first trip to Alaska. Thanks to these boards, I have hopefully made some good decisions.

Aug 6 - fly into Vancouver - staying at St. Regis - walk around town or maybe Capillano Suspension Bridge - dinner in Gastown

Aug 7 - Embark Radiance of the Seas

Great plan.... only one thing you might want to consider changing.... more days or a week in Vancouver pre-cruise. Also compare Tuesday/Wednesday flight prices. You might find savings.

What time are you arriving in YVR?

Great plan.... only one thing you might want to consider changing.... more days or a week in Vancouver pre-cruise. Also compare Tuesday/Wednesday flight prices. You might find savings.

What time are you arriving in YVR?

Unfortunately we can only do two weeks. My husband only gets one week paid vacation so our second week is unpaid. The good news is that my total airfare (Newark/Vancouver and Anchorage/Newark) was only $157 due to airline points. We were supposed to arrive in Vancouver at 10:00AM Friday but the flight changed and now we don't get in until 11:30AM (that is if they don't change it again :rolleyes:)

You could always arrive a few days without your husband....

We were supposed to arrive in Vancouver at 10:00AM Friday but the flight changed and now we don't get in until 11:30AM (that is if they don't change it again )
Is that a typo??? August 7 is a Friday. Or are you arriving on Thursday the 6th?

Hmm....

• 11:30am wheels down
  • 12pm in taxi
  • 12:45 at St Regis
  • 1:30.... walk to cruise terminal for shuttles. BTW.... you might also have enough time to do both Grouse and Capilano on the same trip. Take the Grouse shuttle to check the mountain first. Ask the Grouse shuttle driver to drop you off at Capilano for the return (Grouse shuttle passes Cap bridge along the way [5 mins])
  • 9:30 sunset

Take advantage of the late sunset on your only day in Vancouver. However start looking for food around 8pm.... restaurants start to shut down around 9pm. There are late night eateries near Robson.

Edited by xlxo

Sounds like a great trip ! Lots of memorable experiences. Enjoy!

On the 7th, don't be in a rush to get on the ship. Sightsee that morning ... visit Granville Island then walk around Stanley Park to see the totems, the rose gardens, beaches, the Bridge.

(We always stop at the Kenai Princess Lodge at Cooper Landing. They have a nice lounge and deck that overlook the river and forest. The river is the most incredible color. It's so peaceful to sit in the lounge watching the fisherman float by in their boats.)

You could always arrive a few days without your husband....

Is that a typo??? August 7 is a Friday. Or are you arriving on Thursday the 6th?

Hmm....

• 11:30am wheels down
  • 12pm in taxi
  • 12:45 at St Regis
  • 1:30.... walk to cruise terminal for shuttles. BTW.... you might also have enough time to do both Grouse and Capilano on the same trip. Take the Grouse shuttle to check the mountain first. Ask the Grouse shuttle driver to drop you off at Capilano for the return (Grouse shuttle passes Cap bridge along the way [5 mins])
  • 9:30 sunset

Take advantage of the late sunset on your only day in Vancouver. However start looking for food around 8pm.... restaurants start to shut down around 9pm. There are late night eateries near Robson.

Yes, I meant we arrive Thursday nit Friday.

Thanks for the heads up on the sunset tim- that's great!

Sounds like a great trip ! Lots of memorable experiences. Enjoy!

On the 7th, don't be in a rush to get on the ship. Sightsee that morning ... visit Granville Island then walk around Stanley Park to see the totems, the rose gardens, beaches, the Bridge.

(We always stop at the Kenai Princess Lodge at Cooper Landing. They have a nice lounge and deck that overlook the river and forest. The river is the most incredible color. It's so peaceful to sit in the lounge watching the fisherman float by in their boats.)

We are hoping to sightsee that morning too. I have to read up on the buses some more for Stanley Park.

Can you have dinner at the Kenai Princess Lodge if you are not staying there? We are in Cooper Landing for two nights and will be looking for dinner spots.

Edited by EMED2010

We are hoping to sightsee that morning too. I have to read up on the buses some more for Stanley Park.

Can you have dinner at the Kenai Princess Lodge if you are not staying there? We are in Cooper Landing for two nights and will be looking for dinner spots.

Yes, anyone can dine at the Lodge. We just go to the Rafters Lounge for drinks and appetizers, but they DO have a dinner menu. There's a main dining room also but we like the Lounge....it's relaxed and comfortable. Menus for both are available in this link.

http://www.princesslodges.com/amenities/kenai-rafters-lounge.htm

Info on the trolley.

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/getting-around-and-tours.aspx

Yes, anyone can dine at the Lodge. We just go to the Rafters Lounge for drinks and appetizers, but they DO have a dinner menu. There's a main dining room also but we like the Lounge....it's relaxed and comfortable. Menus for both are available in this link.

http://www.princesslodges.com/amenities/kenai-rafters-lounge.htm

Info on the trolley.

http://vancouver.ca/parks-recreation-culture/getting-around-and-tours.aspx

Thanks! I'll check out both links. You've been so helpful!!!:)