Why not just answer the question?

travelmatron

wow. just wow. Why are you here? What benefit do you get by making someone else feel like "less" with these kinds of snide remarks?

Don't you wish you had had a helpful place like this?

"Kids these days don't know what it's like to have to look up a phone number in a book!" No. They don't. I'm so happy for them!!!!

I've stayed away from the thread so far and just read, with great interest, what everybody has been saying. But where's a like button when I want it?

wow. just wow. Why are you here? What benefit do you get by making someone else feel like "less" with these kinds of snide remarks?

Don't you wish you had had a helpful place like this?

"Kids these days don't know what it's like to have to look up a phone number in a book!" No. They don't. I'm so happy for them!!!!

There isn't the slightest thing snide about that comment, and I'm certainly not going to apologize if me researching a cruise prior to cruise critic offends you. Good grief.

I come at this from a professional perspective, 30 years manning the reference desk at a public library.:)

The search function here is not the best, and unexperienced searches will waste time with ineffective searches. Some people will not be computer savvy enough to make any progress on their own. For the last several years as a librarian, I had many people preface their question with "I just spent the last hour on google". This is what keeps libraries relevant. Time is valuable to everyone, so if you don't know what the answer is or can't give a link to current information, don't waste your time answering & don't make the asker waste their time either.

Indeed. I think and answer with a link is very helpful

If I misread your statement I apologize.

No problem. A minute ago someone asked a question about dining options on Getaway, and I directed that person the the Getaway's dining page. That's going to give them the absolutely best answer to the question, and I think the fact that I took the time to do that is very helpful. If some of you think differently, too bad. If I couldn't find an answer, and someone here directed me to the right place at the source, I'd be grateful. I can't fathom why that is an issue.

Apparently I have been taken to task for my response to another wine question this morning.

I believe I suggested that the OP check the FAQ section. I believe this was good advice. Not every new cruisers knows this exists. And, although it does not answer every question it does answer a lot of "Frequently Asked Questions," as the name implies.

I was so rude that I then proceeded to answer the OP's question.

Edited by Va. Plumber

No problem. A minute ago someone asked a question about dining options on Getaway, and I directed that person the the Getaway's dining page. That's going to give them the absolutely best answer to the question, and I think the fact that I took the time to do that is very helpful. If some of you think differently, too bad. If I couldn't find an answer, and someone here directed me to the right place at the source, I'd be grateful. I can't fathom why that is an issue.

Directing someone directly to the information is, in my opinion, the absolute best way to answer any question. It also helps make searches more meaningful.

I believe I suggested that the OP check the FAQ section. I believe this was good advice. Not every new cruisers knows this exists.

At the risk of being reprimanded, ;) - is this a FAQ for CC, or are you referring to NCL's website? (I haven't seen a CC FAQ section for NCL, hence my asking.)

I did finally find the FAQ on NCL's website the other day; I just stumbled upon it. (For a FAQ section, it isn't in an obvious spot!) I'm STILL trying to find info on NCL about their "Freestyle Cellular Service", and the FAQ answer linked me to a document that's nearly 4 years old, so I'm not entirely sure how accurate or up to date it is. I may actually need to post a clarifying question or two in the forums about it. My apologies in advance. :rolleyes: And before anyone tells me to do a search, please note that I did one already and read posts for over an HOUR, but am still needing clarification.

After all this searching and stressing out about asking simple questions, I need a vacation! Oh, wait... ;)

Edited by Arizona Packer Backer

There have been several times when I have done a search or

Gone to a thread that seemed to be ripe for having an answer... Only to find in the 345 + posts that 99% had NOTHING to do with the original question.

Many times when a topic is hot things get out of control- with insults flying , replete with

" no, you're stupid" to threads that morph into completely different creatures-

Start out with a question about whether or not Bong is still whipping out Mojitis and suddenly it's " OMG Margery- I went to school in Abilene- did you know Mr Smythe down at the custard shoppe"?

Like another poster said, I find Google leads me to better answers on CC than the CC search function.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. Been trying to find out how much a bucket of beers cost. A lot of the posts were from 2009. Wish there was sort by feature in the search.

There actually is...it's just a matter of most people not realizing that it's there. :)

Click the arrow by "Search" up at the top of the page. See the little link that says "Advanced Search"? If you click that, there are a few different 'sorting' features that you can use to narrow down the results you receive.

For instance:

213fdea.png

ORANGE: I usually put "1" (as I've done in this picture) so that I don't get a ton of threads where the question I want to ask has been asked but it hasn't received a reply. If you only want threads that have 2+ replies, then put "2" instead.

PURPLE: You can actually choose which forum(s) you wish to search. This will eliminate A TON of threads that are from all over CruiseCritic. If you're wanting results for an NCL ship, the simply choose the NCL forum and then you won't receive results from the Carnival board, RCCL board, etc. You'll ONLY get results from the NCL board.

RED: The DATE feature! If you leave it on "Any Date", then yes...you will receive a ton of results from long, long ago. However, if you click that little drop down menu, then you can select how new you wish the thread to be. Or, if you are looking for old threads, simply change "Newer" to "Older" and it will show you threads that are older.

zsnyw9.png

Oh, and at the bottom of the advanced search, where it says "Show Results As"? If you change that to "posts", then it will display a portion of the actual posts in the search results, so you don't even have to open the entire thread unless you're sure that particular thread is talking about whatever you're searching for.

Hope that helps someone! :)

Edited by dreamr

There actually is...it's just a matter of most people not realizing that it's there. :)

Click the arrow by "Search" up at the top of the page. See the little link that says "Advanced Search"? If you click that, there are a few different 'sorting' features that you can use to narrow down the results you receive.

For instance:

213fdea.png

ORANGE: I usually put "1" (as I've done in this picture) so that I don't get a ton of threads where the question I want to ask has been asked but it hasn't received a reply. If you only want threads that have 2+ replies, then put "2" instead.

PURPLE: You can actually choose which forum(s) you wish to search. This will eliminate A TON of threads that are from all over CruiseCritic. If you're wanting results for an NCL ship, the simply choose the NCL forum and then you won't receive results from the Carnival board, RCCL board, etc. You'll ONLY get results from the NCL board.

RED: The DATE feature! If you leave it on "Any Date", then yes...you will receive a ton of results from long, long ago. However, if you click that little drop down menu, then you can select how new you wish the thread to be. Or, if you are looking for old threads, simply change "Newer" to "Older" and it will show you threads that are older.

zsnyw9.png

Oh, and at the bottom of the advanced search, where it says "Show Results As"? If you change that to "posts", then it will display a portion of the actual posts in the search results, so you don't even have to open the entire thread unless you're sure that particular thread is talking about whatever you're searching for.

AWESOME! I know how long it takes to do something like this so well that it's understandable. I'm sure you've helped a lot of people. I know it will improve my search results!

For me, a lot of these questions the poster already knows the answer; they are looking for a "what can I get away with" kind of answer. For example, how many "what do I have to wear to dinner" questions do we need to see? The answer is clearly on NCL's page; the poster is usually looking for someone to say, "where whatever you want; it's your vacation" kind of answer. Then the thread quickly becomes a bashing thread. Same with threads about the DSC or smuggling liquor on board.

Thank you so much. I always use the one at the top of the page and didn't even realize there was another option.

I agree with you on this; I ask myself this all of the time! IMO the search function isn't very helpful and quite often the information is old. Also, the NCL web site isn't great either. There may be someone on CC that knows; this is a blog after all that is about having conversations.

There are no wrong/bad questions even though some here choose to reprimand (that is how it comes across) those that do ask them; very inconsiderate at times.

I agree, please move on if you have the inkling to reprimand. :)

Happy and safe cruising all!!:D

I completely agree with you. I also don't like it when people tell people to post their question elsewhere when it is in the "Ask a Cruise Question" forum (or anywhere else for that matter.) It is one thing to politely answer the question and then let the person who asked the question know there is another forum specifically for that cruise line, but it is quite another to ignore the question and tell the person to post it elsewhere.

AWESOME! I know how long it takes to do something like this so well that it's understandable. I'm sure you've helped a lot of people. I know it will improve my search results!

Thanks for this! It will make my life easier to search as well. I spend hours trying to be sure I don't post something that has been covered and then just give up. Thanks again.

dreamr, THANK YOU! I have been using Search for ages, completely frustrated by all the threads that I had to look through for an answer to my specific question. Now I can limit the results to "posts" only, rather than whole threads. OMG, you have made my day.

I realize that many of the people who open and review threads on this board are new to NCL and new to Cruise Critic. For every person who asks a question, there might be many more wanting the same information but are afraid to ask.

Me, too, it is much more expedient than the advanced search on this website and almost always points me to the right thread here.

For sure...although sometimes google can direct us back to here and give us great info but it's outdated (i.e. something from 2011 or 2012).

There are two threads this morning with simple questions, and among the responses to each are directions to go the NCL web site. On other threads I've noticed responses with instructions on how to use the search tool. Why not just answer or ignore the question? Is the implied criticism of the question really helpful or necessary?

Rather agree with you, Cheryl!

If I know the answer, it does not bother me to answer it even if it has been ask before many times.

If I don't know the answer, I just ignore it and hope someone who does will respond to the question.

LuLu

Rather agree with you, Cheryl!

If I know the answer, it does not bother me to answer it even if it has been ask before many times.

If I don't know the answer, I just ignore it and hope someone who does will respond to the question.

LuLu

Me too. I remember someone asked about lobsters onboard a couple weeks back (a topic that leads to snide remarks and then pointless, irrelevant arguments about what's so special about lobster), I replied and mentioned that one can get lobster in teppanyaki (which i enjoyed) and Cagneys or one can dig for some lobster meat in the seafood pasta in the Garden Cafe on 2nd night.