Foreign aid for hurricane?

We're about 2 hours away from New Orleans and many people are being evacuated to our city (New Iberia) and Lafayette. It is amazing how the locals here are helping out. People are opening their homes and donating thousands of dollars a day to try to help out. Restaurants in our town are cooking and feeding these people, schools are accepting children so that they are able to keep up with their studies, and displaced workers are being offered help with jobs thru FEMA. It is rumored that it will take months and months before these people can go back. Where will they live is another question.

This morning there were 100 boats/200 people driving to New Orleans to try to help people stranded on roofs, buildings, etc.The only thing that I have a problem with is that there are actually people stranded that are shooting at the boaters. Can you believe such a thing? You would think that you would be greatful for help but it seems the opposite. We're hearing that they are upset because help didn't get there fast enough! We could tell them that they should have evacuated when they were told and they would not be in this position. I don't want to sound bitter because I would like to take part in the evacuation but you tend to fear for my life.

I do know that an 18 wheeler has been sent to downtown New Orleans full of water today, just don't know how far into the city that the truck can go.

They are also going to try again tonight to get the broken levees repaired but as of yesterday it did not work. Keep everyone in your prayers so that they may see through this.

Our thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

This is just incredible. If these fools had got out when they were told, the resources available now could be put to much better use. You can bet that these are the folks who will be at the front of the line when compensation is being settled.

Agreed. Another thing is that many, myself included, will find it hard to donate when all we see on the news is lawlessness and looting. I'm afraid my hard earned money will end up in the hands of the scumbags I see looting stores and robbing people. I never saw images of looting like I see now when the tsunami hit, I would be inclined to think that it happened though.

I just heard on the radio that the Prime Minister has ordered a national drug inventory so that we can send any surplus to the affected area. Also, they are immediately sending water purification experts and equipment. I am, at the moment, proud to be Canadian.

1. The people who did not get out are, in many cases, on assistance. Right or wrong they did not have the money to leave. Their checks came on the first. I don't care what you think about government assistance. They depended on it and in many cases because they are mentally ill etc. For the most part it was not vanity or "I can survive" but they just could not go. I don't think ANYONE should be judging why anyone stayed behind. Perhaps they were elderly or did not have a car or money.

2. "Hollywood" is putting on a telathon fundraiser on NBC this Friday night.

3. Great Britain and Canada have offered assistance to the US and I am sure there are more that have offered or will.

Just to let you know... For all of you in New York who are attending the State Fair, the Red Cross has a designated parking area for $10/car. All proceeds will benefit the Red Cross. If you're going to the fair, please use this parking area.

Thanks for that info. We are going to the State Fair this weekend and will look for this parking lot. I would think they will also have donation areas inside the fairgrounds(I hope)

Laura

1. The people who did not get out are, in many cases, on assistance. Right or wrong they did not have the money to leave. Their checks came on the first. I don't care what you think about government assistance. They depended on it and in many cases because they are mentally ill etc. For the most part it was not vanity or "I can survive" but they just could not go. I don't think ANYONE should be judging why anyone stayed behind. Perhaps they were elderly or did not have a car or money.

I agree with you, in part. The news also has been covering lots of folks who stayed behind to protect their stuff. This would not likely be the same people who are on assistance. There was one story about a restaurant owner whose front windows blew in and they were rained on by glass. They should never have been there in the first place.

3. Great Britain and Canada have offered assistance to the US and I am sure there are more that have offered or will.

Venezuela has offered fuel, which I think is extraordinary. Since they are so close, this could prove very handy.

I haven't scanned the wholle thread but I have heard this topic in multiple places and it offends my American spirit. (Before jumping on me for being too sensitive please hear me out).

We are Americans. We are DIFFERENT from the rest of the world (Canadian friends will agree, but for different reasons:)) because we have a national sense of need to help wherever and whenever we can. Hey, we even helped the Iranians when they had an earthquake a couple of years ago. What truly distinguishes us is that we give WITHOUT EVER ASKING FOR ANYTHING IN RETURN. Frankly, when I hear others asking where the foreign aid is for us I feel like they are cheapening our benevolence, as though our gift of love had strings attached. I my mind, our assistance to the world has no strings.

It is also true that we are probably best equipped to handle this catastophe. We may not be the brightest people in the world, or the most artistic, but we do know how to get things done.

And finally, living in the phantom shadow of the twin towers, I know that our friends in this world have ALWAYS been by our side in our grief. Thank you. Thank you Canada. Thank you Britain. Thank you Ireland. Thank you international community. I have seen you in the past. While there are many ungrateful people in the world, I know there are many who are waiting to see what can be done.

Venezuela has offered fuel, which I think is extraordinary. Since they are so close, this could prove very handy.

This is not the first time Venezuela has been there for you. But I'll bet you never heard about it. Sometimes you have friends you don't even know about. :)

Beth

The fact that other nations have not YET offered assistance (other than Canada) does not bother me (we are blessed to be such a wealthy nation, and able for the most part to take care of ourselves). What really does bother me is when we do offer support for other nations, and it is criticized as "not being enough". I think that most of the world is taking America for granted, and I also think that once we are "sucked dry" or no longer able to give as much, the world will realize that they have killed the golden goose!!! As you can tell, I am not very optimistic about our world and country right now!!!

The fact that other nations have not YET offered assistance (other than Canada) does not bother me (we are blessed to be such a wealthy nation, and able for the most part to take care of ourselves). What really does bother me is when we do offer support for other nations, and it is criticized as "not being enough". I think that most of the world is taking America for granted, and I also think that once we are "sucked dry" or no longer able to give as much, the world will realize that they have killed the golden goose!!! As you can tell, I am not very optimistic about our world and country right now!!!

The President mentioned that 14 countries have offered to help.

The CBS evening news did mention that other countries have offered aid in this time of need. No details as to which countries. Guess it is more newsworthy to show what is happening in the aftermath rather than list who is helping.

Beth and Cruisemom. I remember reading a posting on the old Cruise Critic msg boards after 9-11 how the folks of Halifax bent over backwards to welcome and care for cruisers returning to the US from Europe. Planes were deverted to Halifax and the airport was full of planes and people. The local residents and government agencys provided food and shelter. Some took the cruisers to their homes and or tours of the area. KInd of kept them entertained and informed in that very trying time for everyone. Canada IS family.

Amen to that. I've also read that Germany is sending funds as well.

Kudos to the nation of Texas. They just keep taking on more responsibility and tasks for the benefit of the victims of this tragedy. They of course are sending 1600 national guard and just announced they will take an additional 25,000 refugees.

I haven't scanned the wholle thread but I have heard this topic in multiple places and it offends my American spirit. (Before jumping on me for being too sensitive please hear me out).

We are Americans. We are DIFFERENT from the rest of the world (Canadian friends will agree, but for different reasons:)) because we have a national sense of need to help wherever and whenever we can. Hey, we even helped the Iranians when they had an earthquake a couple of years ago. What truly distinguishes us is that we give WITHOUT EVER ASKING FOR ANYTHING IN RETURN. Frankly, when I hear others asking where the foreign aid is for us I feel like they are cheapening our benevolence, as though our gift of love had strings attached. I my mind, our assistance to the world has no strings.

It is also true that we are probably best equipped to handle this catastophe. We may not be the brightest people in the world, or the most artistic, but we do know how to get things done.

And finally, living in the phantom shadow of the twin towers, I know that our friends in this world have ALWAYS been by our side in our grief. Thank you. Thank you Canada. Thank you Britain. Thank you Ireland. Thank you international community. I have seen you in the past. While there are many ungrateful people in the world, I know there are many who are waiting to see what can be done.

AMEN! Rev, you rock.

Venezuala is offering oil? That's great! They have had some problems with us (and visa versa) but I am happy they are coming through for us.

As for people staying behind again. I think a lot of people just did not think it could be this bad. I know it was possible. My ex husband was a geology major and did a modeling of what could happen to NOLA in a worse case scenario in a meteorology class that I helped him with and this is pretty much beyond what even he modeled. it's a poor excuse but its an excuse.

Canada has also sent a number of linemen down to the affected areas to try to restore power and phone lines as soon as possible.

I am currently unemployed and if I still am when the affected areas can take volunteers, I will go down and help rebuild houses, as many Canadians I know did after Hurricane Andrew.

Please do not be too quick to critisize that other countries are not doing their part- many offers never get publicized but are made. And individuals around the world are donating money, food, and clothing and many people in other countries do not have much to spare but that will not stop them.

It is times like these that the world gets to experience the generosity of others that I have personally seen when travelling the world.

Cheers,

I know a large group with supplies to aid in help left BC yesterday, these are trained urban rescure persons.

I know many people from there form playing backgammon, one lady I know in Baton Rouge she has taking in a family who has lost their home and job they have nothing, it's so hard for everyone, and this was not as hard a hit as they orginally thought. I hope they can rescue all people who are still alive before its to late.

if my cruise out of galveston is canceled to help these people Owell I can crusie again these people 's lives are at serious health risk etc, a crusie can wait if need be we will be ok we are alive , my crusie was to celebrate surviving cancer this past few months, but that I can do at home if the cruise ship is needed for these people. I feel sad for them I have been watching cnn a lot hope NO more hurricanes hit US or anywhere this coming fall

hear that NO more huge hurricanes please

I know the Canadian government offered assistance but was told that the US felt they could handle it on their own. :( We DID try.

Beth

Archived